Royal North Devon bans plastic tees

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Royal Dornoch have free plastic tee;s and i think these are degradable.

at my club we have our own solution... one of the tight wad old boys goes around collecting all the broken pink and orange castle tee's and repairs them... i kid you no:ROFLMAO:t
Nice hobby you need to fill your time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to use brush tees they were great for the driver ( yellow one) but were just not durable enough for the price.
They stayed in the ground so no searching.
If they could make them a bit tougher I would play them all the time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is very easy to say 'dont look at it from an mfr point of view' but why not? Does anyone know what the impact of manufacturing more wooden tees has? Pretty sure no one here will have but it needs to be taken into account. You can't just look at it from another point of view and dismiss the whole manufacturing side of it. There will undoubtedly be some sort of impact by increased manufacturing but will that be offset by the lower plastic tee production as it could be more toxic and harmful? Who knows!!!
I was not meaning to exclude entirely from that perspective. It was just that Grant was looking purely from the production point of view, I wanted to add in the consequences of plastic tees, The Blue Planet angle.

I am familiar with the arguments you make, we use polythene bags at work and polythene mfrs will hark on that it takes 4 x more energy to produce a paper bag than it does to produce a plastic one. You need to look at these things in the round but plastic undoubtedly has a problem with how it is dealt with after it stops being useful.

sunshine

Visit site
Don't look at it from a mfr point of view, see it from the after use perspective. A wooden tee will degrade, break down, will get turned into sawdust by mowers. All in all, no problem. A plastic tee will not degrade, can find itself being eaten by wildlife, end up in the water system, end up inside fish. From that perspective it is a good decision.

A plastic tee will not degrade, it will just be picked up by someone else, who will carry on using it until they lose it, when someone else will pick it up, and so on. It could have a lifespan of a decade.

I've seen broken castle tees and the ones that have a little rubber crown on the top, but don't think I've ever seen a broken plain plastic tee.

sunshine

Visit site
It’s just a way to get only good golfers to go to their course. Good golfers don’t use plastic 😉

I only use white wooden tees, stats show my tee skills are up there with the best on the PGA Tour.

Would love to see a tour pro teeing it up with a pink castle tee :LOL:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
1. Is there research to support the view that wooden tees are better for the environment? I know they degrade, but they also break so you need to manufacture a lot more of them. You could play a whole year with just a couple of long plastic tees. Find another one if you lose it.
2. How do you manage this. If someone is using a plain white plastic tee for example, it's not possible to monitor unless you employ a tee inspector. Maybe a job extension for the sock police?
3. Personally, am ambivalent about this, I mainly use wooden tees and I'm not precious about it at all.

A playing partner recently mentioned another course that was adopting this rule, can't remember which.

I’ve not read anything after this, but, I was informed that it’s more harmful producing all the environmentally safe bags, bottles etc than the damage they actually create as waste!