Royal North Devon bans plastic tees

D

Deleted member 15344

Think this is good news - a bag of wooden tees can last a year easily prob longer and they are better for the environment so why not.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think this is good news - a bag of wooden tees can last a year easily prob longer and they are better for the environment so why not.

I have been using the same orange plastic tee - securely twined to a pink one - for at least 30 or so rounds. Admittedly I don't hit it hard enough to break it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been using the same orange plastic tee - securely twined to a pink one - for at least 30 or so rounds. Admittedly I don't hit it hard enough to break it.

I have had the same 2 pink tees on my bag for the last 20 rounds not lost one yet

I used Wood tees ..found I needed at least 5 a round

Defo environmently friendly ....

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I see snapped pink plastic tees all over the tee boxes and the ends get stuck in the winter mats, I can see why they would ban them it just isn't enforceable, on a side note can you get wooden castle tees same hight as the pinks

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is the ultimate 'fiddling while Rome burns' conceit....
When they stop selling bottled water (which they make a tidy profit from), I might be less cynical. If they have already, I am marginally less so.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see snapped pink plastic tees all over the tee boxes and the ends get stuck in the winter mats, I can see why they would ban them it just isn't enforceable, on a side note can you get wooden castle tees same hight as the pinks
A while ago, a friend of mine who is a retired polymer plant manager said that he had heard that a very large batch of the pink polypropylene or HDPE used for the extrusion and moulding of tees were short of a filler that led to brittleness. And that was why there were so many broken pink tees around.
However, a variety of biodegradable tees have been recently introduced. One is based on animal byproducts and another is based on a corn derivative.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I would have to learn to tee off properly on a wooden one 1st. But since I started to play longer than par 3 in September I am using the same orange one for my drivers he same red one for my 3 wood and sometimes the hybrid. The little orange ones are only on a few par 3 holes, and somehow I break those ones. I don't think I pollute that much using plastic.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone experiences of winter tees like these ones?
http://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/product/18237/the-golfers-club-winter-tees

As they are on a string they should last a while.
They are commonly used at my first club, a links course on the NE coast. Playable in pretty much all weathers including when the ground was frosted up. You couldn't get a tee in the ground so people used these. If you could get a tee in they were broken straight away. I know people laugh at them but they work.

sunshine

Visit site
They are commonly used at my first club, a links course on the NE coast. Playable in pretty much all weathers including when the ground was frosted up. You couldn't get a tee in the ground so people used these. If you could get a tee in they were broken straight away. I know people laugh at them but they work.

They only work if you have been properly fitted.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't believe some of the cynicism displayed on this topic. Anyone who has read or seen the information about the damage that plastic, microbeads and nurdles are causing in the environment, surely cant think that it's not a good idea. Ok, so it's not going to be a massive improvement in the wider scheme of things - but why needlessly leave little bits of plastic lying about if you don't need to? There are plenty of less damaging alternatives. (And of course, wooden tees don't need to be painted)

Our Pro has just recently announced he's stopping selling plastic tees. I applaud him and am going to follow his lead.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the same plastic tee which I’ve used all season.

I’d say I would use around 5/6 wooden tees a round.

Maybe everyone should pick up their broken plastic tee instead and put it in the bin?

D

Deleted member 18588

Most wooden tees are not produced from wood these days.

I believe the modern tee pegs are made from recycled compressed sawdust.