Royal North Devon bans plastic tees

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It must be me, ave smashed a ball down the middle of the fairway and been gutted coz ave lost me tee. If i don't find it, am proper bogged off. Find one, oh bless ya. What does get my goat, broken tees on a tee, people just lob them anywhere, leaving a broken tee in the ground. Why? Are your fingers broke. Nub ends on the course, thats fine coz there biodegradable, er no its not you scruffy sods. Plastic bottles, lobbed in the hedge bottom. put it back in your bag you lazy sod and bin it.
Really chuffed were going wooden as i gave about 1,000 away last year as i don't use them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not just environment lead .
Hard plastic tees can damage the blades on the hand mowers that cut the tees.
It can jolt the blades out of line so the cut is affected.
Our lads sweep the tee looking for them before they cut it.
It’s like hitting a pothole in your car.
Recycled tees yes ,but not cutting down trees to make them.

What I don’t like about wood is when one breaks and is just sticking out about 1/2” and it catches you on the finger
When you put your tee in the ground.
Can’t see them anymore.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
What does get my goat, broken tees on a tee, people just lob them anywhere, leaving a broken tee in the ground.
I got stuck behind a slow 3 ball for 2 holes last weekend and I used the time to collect 16 tees on the par 4 and another 6 tees on the par 3 holes Had to wait. I don't think I got all.
I usually pick up a couple of broken tees if my trolley stands next to a bin near the teeing area as well when I am going by myself.
But I have to say that there is a difference between teh proper 18 hole course which I haven't played much yet and the 9 hole academy course. Same goes for lost /abandoned (broken) golf balls.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It must be me, ave smashed a ball down the middle of the fairway and been gutted coz ave lost me tee. If i don't find it, am proper bogged off. Find one, oh bless ya. What does get my goat, broken tees on a tee, people just lob them anywhere, leaving a broken tee in the ground. Why? Are your fingers broke. Nub ends on the course, thats fine coz there biodegradable, er no its not you scruffy sods. Plastic bottles, lobbed in the hedge bottom. put it back in your bag you lazy sod and bin it.
Really chuffed were going wooden as i gave about 1,000 away last year as i don't use them.
My dad used to say “ never throw things away you never know when you might need one”
You should have seen his shed , it was awesome.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The plastic tees can’t be recycled at most council depots.

They also take circa 500 years to degrade. Along with the process of degredation they release harmful and toxic micro plastics into the environment.

We’re living in a time of the ‘plastic problem’. Having no plastic tees is a very small but helpful change.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had my plastic castle tees for 10 years... might lose 2 or 3 a season.
Would not be bothered with wooden tees, would just mark my preferred height on the stem and cello tape it .. stops it braking .. I am tight.

NearHull

Visit site
I started playing golf in 1992 on an American Forces golf course. There was a ban on plastic tees even then (and also a ban on metal spikes) quoting environmental issues. Never used anything else but wooden tees since then.

(not quite true- I use winter tees on mats, I have a set of three, tied together, given to me by my then brother in law in the mid nineties and he claimed that they were years old then).

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My dad used to say “ never throw things away you never know when you might need one”
You should have seen his shed , it was awesome.
That is my mums view now still. It's called hoarding. When she eventually passes on the skip companies near her will do very nicely, I daren't think how many we will need.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
No issue at all for me - but it does seem like it's peeing into the ocean a bit.

Also someone could likely use a plastic tee for a lot of holes - during a spell of warm / dry weather, I'm a wooden tee on every hole. Surely there is a point where the manufacture and distribution of a LOT more wooden tees has a greater impact that someone using their big orange or pink plastic tee for basically 30 or 50 x more holes.

And obviously it will annoy some folk - to the extent that most clubs won't do it as they can't afford to pee off any members or potential members.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No issue at all for me - but it does seem like it's peeing into the ocean a bit.

Also someone could likely use a plastic tee for a lot of holes - during a spell of warm / dry weather, I'm a wooden tee on every hole. Surely there is a point where the manufacture and distribution of a LOT more wooden tees has a greater impact that someone using their big orange or pink plastic tee for basically 30 or 50 x more holes.

And obviously it will annoy some folk - to the extent that most clubs won't do it as they can't afford to pee off any members or potential members.
Don't look at it from a mfr point of view, see it from the after use perspective. A wooden tee will degrade, break down, will get turned into sawdust by mowers. All in all, no problem. A plastic tee will not degrade, can find itself being eaten by wildlife, end up in the water system, end up inside fish. From that perspective it is a good decision.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't look at it from a mfr point of view, see it from the after use perspective. A wooden tee will degrade, break down, will get turned into sawdust by mowers. All in all, no problem. A plastic tee will not degrade, can find itself being eaten by wildlife, end up in the water system, end up inside fish. From that perspective it is a good decision.

agreed.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

It is very easy to say 'dont look at it from an mfr point of view' but why not? Does anyone know what the impact of manufacturing more wooden tees has? Pretty sure no one here will have but it needs to be taken into account. You can't just look at it from another point of view and dismiss the whole manufacturing side of it. There will undoubtedly be some sort of impact by increased manufacturing but will that be offset by the lower plastic tee production as it could be more toxic and harmful? Who knows!!!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It is very easy to say 'dont look at it from an mfr point of view' but why not? Does anyone know what the impact of manufacturing more wooden tees has? Pretty sure no one here will have but it needs to be taken into account. You can't just look at it from another point of view and dismiss the whole manufacturing side of it. There will undoubtedly be some sort of impact by increased manufacturing but will that be offset by the lower plastic tee production as it could be more toxic and harmful? Who knows!!!

And I was also thinking that probably a lot of these are manufactured in Asia and shipped over to Europe and the US. Could be significant if golfers genuinely use 20 or 30 x more tees if using wood, rather than plastic.

However ultimately if people are going to leave broken tees on golf courses, then it is far better than these are wooden.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is my mums view now still. It's called hoarding. When she eventually passes on the skip companies near her will do very nicely, I daren't think how many we will need.
It’s only hoarding if it’s in the house I think.
Dads shed was one of them that things fell out when you opened the door.
Mum would not allow any crap in the house.
I sorted it out when he died and it was a journey into my youth ,I remembered a lot of the stuff.
Kept some of it myself ,hope it’s not hereditary lol.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s only hoarding if it’s in the house I think.
Dads shed was one of them that things fell out when you opened the door.
Mum would not allow any crap in the house.
I sorted it out when he died and it was a journey into my youth ,I remembered a lot of the stuff.
Kept some of it myself ,hope it’s not hereditary lol.

Its completely hereditary. There is a simple test to see if you have contracted it.

Have you ever uttered the words, "that might come in handy".

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Royal Dornoch have free plastic tee;s and i think these are degradable.

at my club we have our own solution... one of the tight wad old boys goes around collecting all the broken pink and orange castle tee's and repairs them... i kid you no:ROFLMAO:t