Routine before a round

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Just wondering what some of you do before you tee off.

Obviously it depends on time and facilities available.

But I am thinking I should have a routine that gets me to the course 40mins before tee time.

C

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Today, for a 1.48 time, I shall arrive at about 1pm, extract my kit from the car, head down to the putting green, stop for 10 minutes for a bacon roll from the window, putt until 10 minutes before time, walk across the road to the 1st tee and rip it up.
Works nearly every time...well, occasionally.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today, for a 1.48 time, I shall arrive at about 1pm, extract my kit from the car, head down to the putting green, stop for 10 minutes for a bacon roll from the window, putt until 10 minutes before time, walk across the road to the 1st tee and rip it up.
Works nearly every time...well, occasionally.

Interesting. Thanks.

So first full swing is your tee shot?

I like the bacon roll part too.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I like time to hit 30ish balls on the practice range, do some meet/greet, then 10 mins putting and maybe get a coffee or bottle of cider depending on tee time
(pre 9am tee off will usually be coffee)

Reactions: MrC
D

Deleted member 17920

Hi all

Just wondering what some of you do before you tee off.

Obviously it depends on time and facilities available.

But I am thinking I should have a routine that gets me to the course 40mins before tee time.

C
Pre COVID-19

Arrive 45 mins before

Full Woodhall breakfast chat rubbish with my group then rush to 1st tee.

Proceed with low left tee shot and repeat for rest of the round.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I like to hit 9 balls in the net, 3 with a wedge, 3 with a mid iron and 3 with a wood or hybrid. Then 5 minutes of putting. I am not too worried about the quality of the shots just to remove the stiffness and kinks and to get a feel for the putter.

The tee shot at 1 of my course is a max of a 3w in the winter and a hybrid in the summer so no need to be smashing anything down 1, all about postion.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Usually try to get there about 45 mins early. Hit some balls on the range, see what mysteries the swing is producing today, some putts, short Zoom call with my golf psychologist, have a whizz, get a card and get registered if it is a roll up, and off we go.

One part of that may be false.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Might try and get to club in time to hit maybe a dozen balls on the range; grab a coffee and bacon and egg roll; hit half doz putts on putting green. Basically not bothered too much about the whole warming up thing unless I’m playing a comp round in which case I will take it seriously and might hit 30 balls on the range and spend ten minutes on the putting green ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At my own club, arrive, register if playing a comp, go straight to 1st tee, 30 seconds of stretching, 2 swings on the tee, hit shot.

Away club, hit 5-7 balls into a net if there is one, similar number of putts on the practice green, 2 swings on the tee, hit shot.

The away club routine works slightly better so I should really do it more. I have tried the whole 30 balls on the range, 20 mins on the putting green but it really didn't help me sufficiently to make me do it again. Time at golf is long enough without adding another 30-45 minutes onto the beginning.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently...park in the car park, shoes on, pull out the bag, walk to first tee, swing the arms about a bit, 2 practise swings, tee off.
Pre CV19, park, unload the car, change shoes in changing room, do some putting practise,balls in the hat, swing arms about, 2 practise swings on the tee, tee off.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Used to arrive about an hour before, but if breakfast and a coffee, ten mins putting then off. Occasionally the simulator was free in which case I’d hit about 20/25 6 irons but our range is too far away to hit pre round balls and there were no first tee nets.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH, i tend to get there 15 mins before unless i've agreed to meet up with mates before the round for a coffee. I do some spec stretches on the turn as my warm up. didn't used to do anything at all but the streches have helped, played the fisrt hole way better since starting this.

i don't like hitting balls on the range or doing too much putting before a round.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I tend to leave home and give myself about an hour at the course before I’m due to tee off (pre covid).
I’ll have a full English breakfast and about 40 coffees before using the range if they’ve got one or the net and then spend some time on putting green.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As ‘eagle2’ on here will concur, I hate cutting things fine or being rushed, so I’ll normally get there way too early, probably an hour. Go to the range first, hit 15-20 balls to warm up and make sure I can remember what to do. Then I’ll go to the chipping green to make sure I get at least 1 duff and 1 thinned across the green out the way. This all probably takes 20 mins. Then go to the pro shop, sign into the comp, get my tees and balls ready, say hello to PPs. Finally, hit 10 or so putts to get the feel and make sure I don’t send my first putt screaming past or left a mile short of the hole. And that’s it.

The above is for a serious round. If it’s just a knock I’ll normally just have a couple of hits in the net and a few putts.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Never been one for the range before a round. Ever.

I’m happy arriving 30-45 minutes before my tee time, quick cup of coffee and then a bit of chipping, as that’s where I’m likely to fritter away shots. Rarely do any putting because the pace of our practice green is rarely replicated on the course.

Oddly, when I started going on an annual tour in the Algarve, that’s the only time I ever used the range pre-round. Why? Because everyone else did. It was three or four years before the penny dropped and I reverted to my usual routine, but included putting.

As for limbering up, I’m lucky in as much as I’m quite a flexible fella. Half a dozen or so swings with a driver and I’m ready to hit and hope.