Routine before a round

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pre-covid I'd get there about an hour before the roll-up was drawn and hit some balls and do a bit of pitching. Go in for a quick coffee and the draw and then back out to hit a few putts and go out. With covid I'll get 20 balls via a token in the office and then go to the tee (putting green) about 6-7 minutes before I am due off.

I have issues with my back and my knees and unless I hit balls first and get loose its not worth bothering as by the time I can swing freely we'll be on the 4th or 5th and the score will have gone south long before them. The club know I do it and are happy so as long as that continues I'll keep going

Reactions: MrC

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are thousand of people who play golf and will have a routine before going out to play - whether that’s 30 mins hitting through the bag , or 1 hour warm up , or 10 mins getting the feel of the putting , there are many who don’t just rock up and hit the ball and surely even you realise that
Sure I realise that. Just can't wrap my head round how the op thinks he "needs" a pre round routine and others that take it so serious. Serious enough to call it a pre round routine.

My colleague who also plays golf just called us a bunch of sado's BTW ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a meal replacement shake, I head to the range and I’ll hit a few off the toe and a few off the heel to find the middle of the face. Couple of chips and putts and ready. I only do this if it’s a round for handicap.

If it’s a knock - out the car and a number of shoulder dips and tee off straight away.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sure I realise that. Just can't wrap my head round how the op thinks he "needs" a pre round routine and others that take it so serious. Serious enough to call it a pre round routine.

Some people do take the game seriously even if it’s just the weekend medal , some are very low handicaps , so learning and a routine helps , some have ailing bodies and it’s a warm up. Maybe some will score and play better with a good structured warm up .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I always think its funny how when its club championship you'll see so many people suddenly come over to the practice ground and hit balls and warm up who won't have set foot on there for the rest of the year. For me, doing the same thing you normally do would be the logical way to approach an event. Suddenly hitting balls, with some that decide to do so making it a range session and looking at mechanics rather than looking for a tempo, must make it all fee so different.

For me, whether it's hitting a bucket before the roll up or just hitting a few before the tee time, the point is as above and it isn't a range session. Just find the shape of shot you have today and get some timing. Nothing more

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The reason I ask is I am trying to get better at this game. I definitely have the golf bug although not so sure about the talent.

I used to play football and we would always have a pre-match warm up. Very structured and organised.

I used to play cricket and there was little or no warm up. I was a wicket keeper and was happy with a few thrown at me.

I used to play pool at a reasonable standard and would always get to the club an hour before if I could and get used to the conditions. I hated having to play cold and always made me feel negative.

I was wondering what others did and what worked for them.

My experience is that a structured approach (football and pool) works well and gets the mind ready as much as the body. But if if doesn’t happen then can throw me off. Whereas cricket I was just happy to turn up and play and I did ok.

One thing from this thread is the social aspect. Breakfast, coffee, pre-meet etc. I hadn’t thought about that. At the moment I am playing on my own (COVID) so not been able to much but that is something I would like to do if I can find a regular game.

I am now thinking. Arrive 45 mins before for coffee/roll which should take me 15mins that leaves time for some chipping and putting and maybe the range. 30 balls min so will try and do this before chipping and putting if I can.

I admit to being and I am happy to be a sado ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What my routine used to be, two or three years ago:
Get to the course an hour before tee time. Order a mushroom & cheese omelette and a Red Bull in the clubhouse. Head outside, do a bit of 'dynamic' stretching (not really that dynamic), then practise swings with putter (heavier than my actual clubs) to loosen up. Hit 6-10 balls into a practise net, making sure the last couple are with the club I plan to tee off with on the first. Might hit a few putts on the practise green, but I never found that to help very much if I'm honest, often the practise green is quicker or slower than the greens on the course so it messes you up instead of helping. But then I go and tee off anyway.

Over the years though the council ran our club into the ground. There's been no catering facilities for the last two years - and the practise nets were lost over time as well when they expanded the car park. So my routine has been more just turn up 15 minutes before tee time, do the stretching and practise swings and then tee off and hope for the best.

Now I've moved clubs I'm hoping one day to get back to my original routine one day - but obviously the lockdown/Tier 4 stuff needs to bugger off first.

D

Deleted member 29109

Heated seat in the car set to max to ensure my back is nice and warm.

Hit a few putts and a few chips to get a feel for whether it's a fat or a thin day.

Hit a couple of drivers in tbe net to get the back and neck cracking over with. Walk to first tee.

That could take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending on whether I set off to the course on time, or whether I get stuck behind a tractor or Honda Jazz on the way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Heated seat in the car set to max to ensure my back is nice and warm.

Hit a few putts and a few chips to get a feel for whether it's a fat or a thin day.

Hit a couple of drivers in tbe net to get the back and neck cracking over with. Walk to first tee.

That could take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending on whether I set off to the course on time, or whether I get stuck behind a tractor or Honda Jazz on the way.
It's funny that you say that - I have noticed during my own warm-up routine nowadays that when I'm doing my practise swings with the putter for extra weight, I tend to do it until my back clicks, then it feels like it's done its job. :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's funny that you say that - I have noticed during my own warm-up routine nowadays that when I'm doing my practise swings with the putter for extra weight, I tend to do it until my back clicks, then it feels like it's done its job. :LOL:

I have to bend at the knees and get them to click before they feel good to go. They are getting old and shot (like most of the body)