Rory

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news...-in-2019-170883/amp?__twitter_impression=true

So looks like Rory is going to stay a member of the ET after all - is anyone really surprised

I’m pleased.
I remember the turn around in his opinion on the Ryder cup from before and after playing his first. Genuinely think the thought of him not being a captain will have played on his mind. Obv his private life has to be priority, but I think its easy eniugh to work around both.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think it was all a little mountain out of a mole hill and didn’t expect him to really quit the ET - would always find the extra couple of events needed - especially with the extra Middle East ones

That’s probably true, I can’t remember the source now. Was it him though they had said he was considering it?
Either way I agree it was simple to resolve.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was always going to end this way. McIlroy seems to be making a history of saying things and then back tracking. Didn't he famously say he wasn't bothered by the RC. I don't know why McIlroy had to even create all this fuss. It was obvious that the ET had been as flexible as possible to let him play the minimum number to keep his status and that he'd find a way to schedule it

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It would have been madness if Rory didn’t play in Europe after August.

I’m surprised it even got as far as this, unless he was looking for a golden handshake from some of the events.

The Fed Ex Cup finishes on 25th August and from Sept 19 (Wentworth) he has the choice to play in 5 Rolex series events before the end of the European Season on Nov 24. That would be Wentworth, Italy, Turkey, Nedbank & Dubai.

What on earth would he be doing if he wasn’t playing in those events?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It would have been madness if Rory didn’t play in Europe after August.

I’m surprised it even got as far as this, unless he was looking for a golden handshake from some of the events.

The Fed Ex Cup finishes on 25th August and from Sept 19 (Wentworth) he has the choice to play in 5 Rolex series events before the end of the European Season on Nov 24. That would be Wentworth, Italy, Turkey, Nedbank & Dubai.

What on earth would he be doing if he wasn’t playing in those events?
Wouldn't be surprised if he was perhaps trying to get some sort of sweetener to play (not that he needs the cash) and as you say, hard to imagine how hard it would really be to get the minimum played.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Wouldn't be surprised if he was perhaps trying to get some sort of sweetener to play (not that he needs the cash) and as you say, hard to imagine how hard it would really be to get the minimum played.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was fake news either, or the media reporting it all out of context to provoke reactions from joe public

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it was blown a bit out of proportion, he had said he was going to play at least two events over the year. To think that he wasn't going to play well enough in the majors and the WGC's to qualify for the final series and play in Dubai and one other tournament and get the minimum number of events in seems crazy. Plus whats he going to do from August all the way through till January, he'd likely play somewhere.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I just don't get why he had to allow this story to blow up at all and should come out at the time and showed support and solidarity to the ET and confirmed he'd play the minimum required. Nothing else would have needed to have been said

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Interesting comments from Rory today. Massive kick for the ET in being so forthright in his views.

However, I am sure it's what most at the very top think, and I find it refreshing that an elite sportsman is willing to be so open as opposed to bog standard PR answers.

He obviously doesn't really want to be a member of the ET anymore. Only really the Ryder Cup that's keeping him on the tour. Without that I doubt we would see him outside of the Open and perhaps the Irish every other year, plus perhaps somewhere that pays him big bucks as an appearance fee from time to time.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with him, why would you want to play on the ET for less money, less points and have to sit on a plane longer. It is only common sense, I'd be the same if it were me

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting comments from Rory today. Massive kick for the ET in being so forthright in his views.

However, I am sure it's what most at the very top think, and I find it refreshing that an elite sportsman is willing to be so open as opposed to bog standard PR answers.

He obviously doesn't really want to be a member of the ET anymore. Only really the Ryder Cup that's keeping him on the tour. Without that I doubt we would see him outside of the Open and perhaps the Irish every other year, plus perhaps somewhere that pays him big bucks as an appearance fee from time to time.
I just wish he'd keep his mouth shut. He doesn't need to run the ET down and he should remember that while it may be a stepping stone for some to go onto bigger and better things on the PGA tour, for many others the ET is their living. To keep running it down and mucking it about as Rory has done with his comments and scheduling, can't help entice future sponsors. The ET needs to keep growing and some players need to show it more respect

D

Deleted member 3432

Wants to majors and unfortunately 3 off them are held in the US.

I'm sure the South Africa and Austrailia Tours would like to retain their elite players but the players want to give themselves the best chance of winning titles.

Of course the cash helps too...

Wolf

Visit site
I just wish he'd keep his mouth shut. He doesn't need to run the ET down and he should remember that while it may be a stepping stone for some to go onto bigger and better things on the PGA tour, for many others the ET is their living. To keep running it down and mucking it about as Rory has done with his comments and scheduling, can't help entice future sponsors. The ET needs to keep growing and some players need to show it more respect
I've literally just read the article on line and I agree with 100% Homer.

There was no need for half of what he said, he could have simply said "I've built a life here in the US as a result will play most of my golf here and will see where my schedule takes me and appreciate everything I've learnt on the ET" That would have been professional and got his point across without any issues at all. I find the way he put it disrespectful to the tour, to fellow pro players and lacked a little class.

But then I've never liked Rory or been his biggest fan so maybe I'm biased. But he does have the right to choose where he plays he has earned that just wish he would do it a little more professionally and with class.

D

Deleted member 15344

He isn’t wrong in what he says though - the ET is a feeder tour and the US PGA is where the best players want to be - purely for the ranking points and the doors they open

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He isn’t wrong in what he says though - the ET is a feeder tour and the US PGA is where the best players want to be - purely for the ranking points and the doors they open
But it can't be a feeder tour for everyone. Not everyone is capable of playing on the PGA tour and a lot more don't want to base themselves there and move their family to the US. There is a sufficient living to be made on the ET tour, especially if you win an event and guarantee a tour card for a couple of seasons. The last thing the ET tour needs is someone of McIlroy's stature dismissing it as nothing more than feeder tour. It needs to attract new sponsors and new investment and negative comments like this is something McIlroy didn't need to do. He could have made the point in far more subtler fashion even if the point is valid

D

Deleted member 18588

But it can't be a feeder tour for everyone. Not everyone is capable of playing on the PGA tour and a lot more don't want to base themselves there and move their family to the US. There is a sufficient living to be made on the ET tour, especially if you win an event and guarantee a tour card for a couple of seasons. The last thing the ET tour needs is someone of McIlroy's stature dismissing it as nothing more than feeder tour. It needs to attract new sponsors and new investment and negative comments like this is something McIlroy didn't need to do. He could have made the point in far more subtler fashion even if the point is valid

But the fact is that players themselves see it as a feeder tour and I suspect that everyone else connected with the ET, including potential sponsors realise that.

No player is being forced to move to the PGA Tour but those with aspirations to be at the very top will continue to take the well-trodden path to America.

Having said that I do think Rory could have been a little more gracious in his comments.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I do wish there was more of a move towards an International tour.

Say 40 or so events for 200 of the top players with big events in all continents. Field of 160, but maybe more room for a few to play 1st 2 rounds on 2 courses to get clsoer to 200 in.

Clearly most events would still remain in the US but the continental tours can have their big events on the world calendar and we could avoid a lot of the schedule clashes that mean we rarely see events with more than a half of the top 20 players.

The continental tours would be genuine feeder tours but with a fair few high level players and a big prize of playing for entry onto the big tour. Maybe have some end of season playoffs for the feeder tours for the 2nd tier players to earn their cards and include the bottom ranked players on the International tour.

Obviously it won’t happen, especially as they have just made a big move in the calendar which focuses things very much on the US from March till August.