Rory

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
More of the same from Rory.

His career is definitely trending towards Rickie Fowler levels - albeit with 4 majors tucked away.

Also the setup at Kapaulua was big fairways and big greens (to cope with the wind) so maybe not even worth reading too much into the driving and GIR stats.

Rory is def not a grinder. He's either on it, and can flag it all day and shoot a 66 or if he's off it, he can't find a way to manufacture a score.

Maybe he can learn to grind as if he could do what Justin Rose has done then he would be right up there again.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
3 good rounds in the bag, in contention on the last day and blows it again. I'm not saying he'd have won it as it's hard to compete against an 11 under but he shot one of the worst final round scores. I'm worried that he seems happy with his 4th place when earlier in the week he said he was there to win!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
3 good rounds in the bag, in contention on the last day and blows it again. I'm not saying he'd have won it as it's hard to compete against an 11 under but he shot one of the worst final round scores. I'm worried that he seems happy with his 4th place when earlier in the week he said he was there to win!

I don't think he's necessarily happy, but there may be a hint of the Paul Casey mindset that says 'I'm still going to make $300,000 what is the point in pressing the accelerator and basically spending $100,000 if I make a few bogeys when I don't have my A game. Next week I'll have my A game.'

Wolf

Visit site
Simple answer to all this is only Rory knows why he continues to play 3 good rounds then pretty much go through the motions on Sunday if he's not leading or within a shot or 2.

Can't imagine it's because he worried about losing a 100k here or there as I very much doubt money is an issue for him. Perhaps it's the why bother attitude of if I'm not getting the glory anyway what's the point. But again thats just an idea based on not knowing what's making him tick.

He does seem to be an all or nothing player but doesn't seem to have that edge of having the ability to dig down deep to pull it out. I'm not a Rory fan but it would be good to see him pulling in wins and winning a Masters to compete the set.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I saw Rory's interview after his third round and he made an interesting comment. He said that in the past when he has been in contention on the last day he has tried to go after it from the start and that tactic has not been successful. So now he was planning to be more patient try and wait for the birdies to come. Sadly that didn't work either yesterday !

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it’s mental with him. Us amateurs have too many swing thoughts. I bet Rory has too many strategy, leaderboard, and confidence thoughts

Henaj74

Visit site
Yea he was AWFUL this weekend. He should probably just retire after that disgraceful showing.

I think a lot of people are making us that it’s the same old same old with Rory.....sure he’s finally got his game back to where he’s challenging in tournaments again but the other guys games for whatever reason seem to ruffle Rory when he has a chance to win....and much more often than not the guy just hasn’t got the game to win anymore

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I read somewhere (!) That he has been in 7 final groups in the last year and failed to win any.

That kind of thing gets in your head after a while.

Let's hope he manages the golfing equivalent of scoring a goal off his arse to break the hoodoo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I read somewhere (!) That he has been in 7 final groups in the last year and failed to win any.

That kind of thing gets in your head after a while.

Let's hope he manages the golfing equivalent of scoring a goal off his arse to break the hoodoo.
No doubting your word but if that's true thats a hell of a statistic and there has to be a reason for that. For me, he sometimes simply foes out at times and looks disinterested and when he suddenly needs to scrap to stay in contention or nick a win he can't change gear. He clearly doesn't need the cash but you would think he'd like to get as many tour wins as possible for a personal/professional stance

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer, I heard rory give the interview where this was stated. His opinion was he had to stop chasing birdies early in the 4th round. He had to become more patient. His thoughts not mine, although I suspect he is right.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer, I heard rory give the interview where this was stated. His opinion was he had to stop chasing birdies early in the 4th round. He had to become more patient. His thoughts not mine, although I suspect he is right.
Which is fair enough. However as I said, once he needs to start pushing as the round progresses (others making a charge etc) he seems incapable at the moment of changing gear and stepping up and then seems to almost mentally assume he can't win and goes into a shell and appears to almost go through the motions. The frustrating thing with McIlroy is when he is on, he's superb and you can't play against the quality of his golf but he seems to be "on" less and less now even when he's in a good position after three rounds

Wolf

Visit site
Which is fair enough. However as I said, once he needs to start pushing as the round progresses (others making a charge etc) he seems incapable at the moment of changing gear and stepping up and then seems to almost mentally assume he can't win and goes into a shell and appears to almost go through the motions. The frustrating thing with McIlroy is when he is on, he's superb and you can't play against the quality of his golf but he seems to be "on" less and less now even when he's in a good position after three rounds

I think that was true maybe 6-7 years ago but isn't anymore and I think that's part of his frustration. When Tiger had his fall and was lost in the wilderness in that time of injury and scandal Rory became the next big hope and in that period from 2010-2014 he had a patch where he could be unplayable and was the best, that most thought would become europes greatest
Major winner.

However since the emergence of players like Spieth, Thomas, Koepka, Rose building a consistency like he has and DJ going from being a power player that could do it occasionally to a power player that racks up wins consistently, I think Rory has struggled to deal with the fact his game and even his A game at times isn't good enough.

That pool of players that have the ability to go low and win is only growing so the challenge is bigger for McIlroy he is no longer the only one that can go and take fields apart, he is going to be constantly pushed harder and winning big events isn't going to be as easy as leaving fields behind he is going to have to deliver 4 days good work consistently to beat these guys.

If you think the 4 majors this year ahead and players like Rose, DJ, Koepka, DeChambeau, Thomas, Spieth, Schauffle, Rahm, Day, Tiger to name but a few will be amongst many peoples favourites to win and all capable of winning before you factor in Rory, the challenge is only getting bigger and perhaps is causing him some issues mentally adjusting to the fact that he can't just pull ahead and coast anymore he has to fight and fight hard.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's a case of strategy, i.e. chasing birdies or being patient.

It's a case of playing good golf shots. If someone like Rory puts himself in position off the tee, then will pretty much be taking aim at the flag whether his tactic is to chase a score or be patient.

Often it could be a case of not being in position and still taking on a dangerous flag. But ultimately his target should be to play good shots and maintain similar golf tactics as his 2nd or 3rd days, when he has usually put a couple of scores together.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Homer that’s twice you’ve mentioned that he can’t ‘change gear’ but I don’t follow. What do you mean change gear?

Do you think he lacks in performance in an area and if he chooses to he can improve that performance simply by ‘changing gear’ to up his game?

If it were that simple we’d all be on tour

Whatever the factor is that’s preventing a player winning, be it course management, shot selection, swing speed, strike accuracy etc etc etc I seriously doubt any player can just ‘change gear’ at will or deliberately

D

Deleted member 15344

Well I watched some of the first three days and he looked in very good Nick considering it was his first tournament in 6 weeks is it ?

He was striking the ball superbly , wedge play and short game was great and putted very well

He has changed his schedule this year and I can see him being a bit more focused to win and wouldn’t surprise me to see him pick up a major - the competition is tough but he has the ability to rise above them

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Well I watched some of the first three days and he looked in very good Nick considering it was his first tournament in 6 weeks is it ?

He was striking the ball superbly , wedge play and short game was great and putted very well

He has changed his schedule this year and I can see him being a bit more focused to win and wouldn’t surprise me to see him pick up a major - the competition is tough but he has the ability to rise above them
Unfortunately on Sunday he simply didn’t have it. The stats may paint an ok picture. But I don’t think he holed anything longer than 6ft, the par save on 5 I think it was, he thought he’d missed.

His approach play put him under pressure. Last year his proximity was spot on, and it was good the first three days, but as he wasn’t holing anything Sunday he needed to hit it close. Something he only did twice all round. One decent pitch and one a good chip.

Not sure if his plain to play safe put him in too cautious a mindset, but when you look at the scores around him, he was well off the pace. So whilst he obviously still has the talent, a major win this year would imo based on the last few years be more of a surprise (albeit a welcome one) more so than an expectant one.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I believe that all the best players (in men and womens golf) that reach the top table have a period of time when they’re on form (meaning they can win stuff) and within that period of form is a shorter period of time when they’re on their top form (they can achieve their very best & multiple wins in a season) How long a player is on top form for & how much they win will naturally vary from player to player

I think Rory’s period of top form is behind him (2012-2015) but like many others he’s easily still on form and capable of winning, just not to the same extent he did when he was on top form, so we shouldn’t expect 4 or 5 wins a year anymore… but he will win

This is definitely not an anti-Rory opinion, I believe the same of any number of players past and present; Jason Day (top form 2015-2016) Jordan Spieth (top form 2014-2017) Tiger (top form 1999-2009) Lee Westwood (top form 1997-2000) Inbee Park (top form 2013-2015) Lydia Ko (top form 2013-2016) the list goes on & on to prove that for the real elite guys & gals playing these days, there’s usually a period of form good enough to win and a period of top-form good enough to win big!

As an example Justin Tomas is in his top form period right now (probably Fleetwood too)

For some that top form might just last a season or two (like Jason Day, maybe even Rickie Fowler) for others like Tiger, Phil, Laura Davies, Sörenstam etc etc it can be as much as a decade. Rory managed 4 great years sitting at the head of the top table

Rory’s nowhere near done, he’ll win and he’ll win impressively (maybe even get the career Slam) but for me he’s done at his top form peak that allowed him to win impressively multiple times a season

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Disappointing final round after putting himself in a good position, I certainly don't think he should be written off after final round where he went 1 under;

He said he was going to be patient, I thought he was - played to the left of the green when danger right etc., and took a birdie on the short par 4 where Woodland didn't; after matching birdies at the par 5 he maybe then should have put the foot down and been more aggressive but I think this may be a process for him for the next few tournaments.

He looked comfortably putting from 6ft and in, didn't hole from outside 11 or 12ft.
Driving looked good, albeit fairways are generous but with the slopes and rolls it could have ended easily in the rough.
Played well in some windy conditions.

I remember a few years back he played poorly every Friday (I think!) for a few tournaments in a row - and critics thought there was a mental issue, then he ripped it up and it wasn't mentioned again. First tournament back, a limited but good field, 4 rounds under par, new putter in play. It wasn't all bad!

However, I think this year is big for him, to keep himself relevant. Didn't like the European Tour comments, and there's potential focusing on the Masters will consume him mentally unfortunately. I hope he has a big, big year, but success for him is measured differently it seems. Winning a single PGA tournament is not considered good enough by 'us'; contending in Majors is not enough either. He's a victim of his early success unfortunately.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer that’s twice you’ve mentioned that he can’t ‘change gear’ but I don’t follow. What do you mean change gear?

Do you think he lacks in performance in an area and if he chooses to he can improve that performance simply by ‘changing gear’ to up his game?

If it were that simple we’d all be on tour

Whatever the factor is that’s preventing a player winning, be it course management, shot selection, swing speed, strike accuracy etc etc etc I seriously doubt any player can just ‘change gear’ at will or deliberately
It's very simple. He said he wanted to be be patient which is fine but then seems to have lost the ability to start firing at the pin and making birdies and a charge. At the moment he's putting some good scores together but simply doesn't seem to go out and dominate a final round or do anything different if Plan A isn't working