Rory

Wolf

Visit site
I do wish there was more of a move towards an International tour.

Say 40 or so events for 200 of the top players with big events in all continents. Field of 160, but maybe more room for a few to play 1st 2 rounds on 2 courses to get clsoer to 200 in.

Clearly most events would still remain in the US but the continental tours can have their big events on the world calendar and we could avoid a lot of the schedule clashes that mean we rarely see events with more than a half of the top 20 players.

The continental tours would be genuine feeder tours but with a fair few high level players and a big prize of playing for entry onto the big tour. Maybe have some end of season playoffs for the feeder tours for the 2nd tier players to earn their cards and include the bottom ranked players on the International tour.

Obviously it won’t happen, especially as they have just made a big move in the calendar which focuses things very much on the US from March till August.
Is that what Greg Norman was trying to achieve some years ago with the idea of a World Tour and got shot down in flames for, the result I believe was the creation of WGC instead as a happy medium. I could be very wrong with that but sure that's what I've seen or heard somewhere many moons ago

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that what Greg Norman was trying to achieve some years ago with the idea of a World Tour and got shot down in flames for, the result I believe was the creation of WGC instead as a happy medium. I could be very wrong with that but sure that's what I've seen or heard somewhere many moons ago

That sounds likely.

However ultimately while all the top players are happy to base themselves in the US, things won’t change.

If there was another Greg Norman or Rory McIlroy (or more likely a number of them) who took a stand, there might be a shift.

However as Rory has pointed out, with 3 majors in the US, the top players would only be handicapping themselves by not playing US focused schedules.

Wolf

Visit site
That sounds likely.

However ultimately while all the top players are happy to base themselves in the US, things won’t change.

If there was another Greg Norman or Rory McIlroy (or more likely a number of them) who took a stand, there might be a shift.

However as Rory has pointed out, with 3 majors in the US, the top players would only be handicapping themselves by not playing US focused schedules.

I can't see anyone having the balls to go against the PGA tour like Norman did, to much money and to much chance of being cast out for the risk of hoping something will take off. Perhaps could start with it in the ladies game as a toe one the water see if it works but then we know there isn't the viewing figures anyway for that so pretty much a non starter.

Also could lead to the creation of a 5th major if they ever managed a world tour, something like a European or Asian based event, I like that in Tennis the 4 majors are on different continents in golf with globalisation of the game I think that could be something special

D

Deleted member 3432

I can't see anyone having the balls to go against the PGA tour like Norman did, to much money and to much chance of being cast out for the risk of hoping something will take off. Perhaps could start with it in the ladies game as a toe one the water see if it works but then we know there isn't the viewing figures anyway for that so pretty much a non starter.

Also could lead to the creation of a 5th major if they ever managed a world tour, something like a European or Asian based event, I like that in Tennis the 4 majors are on different continents in golf with globalisation of the game I think that could be something special

Don't need a 5th Major, just ditch the glorified invitational on the over manicured track where they paint the grass green.

Wolf

Visit site
Don't need a 5th Major, just ditch the glorified invitational on the over manicured track where they paint the grass green.
Not a fan of Augusta myself but it's earned its place as a major event.

I Do however think there is a place for a 5th major on another content than the US now its a truly global game

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've literally just read the article on line and I agree with 100% Homer.

There was no need for half of what he said, he could have simply said "I've built a life here in the US as a result will play most of my golf here and will see where my schedule takes me and appreciate everything I've learnt on the ET" That would have been professional and got his point across without any issues at all. I find the way he put it disrespectful to the tour, to fellow pro players and lacked a little class.

But then I've never liked Rory or been his biggest fan so maybe I'm biased. But he does have the right to choose where he plays he has earned that just wish he would do it a little more professionally and with class.

I would expect he was unimpressed with the stick he got in both media and from some fans by trying to say softly he would play less ET to concentrate on majors & home life etc. Having the soft touch not go down well, he may have thought it's just as easy to be blunt so there is less dispute as to why he's taking the action he is.

I probably agree a lot with his comments, the only bit that potentially catches him is if he's still keen to keep golf in Ireland and the economic boost to the area, as he'll now be a key player on a tour he's discredited a bit.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
In fairness to Rory, he speaks his mind a lot of the time and that is refreshing.

However can't help feel that at some point he will need the ET again and he isn't going about things the right way.

Look at the situation with Garcia getting a Ryder Cup pick despite being hopelessly out of form. He is a guy who has always played his fair share of European events and supported the tour, been good for sponsors and still lives in Spain for a lot of the year.

I'm not sure if Rory would now get the same benefit of the doubt in the future when at some point, he will inevitably need a pick or will need an exemption to some events if following injury or a bad season.

It seems crazy to think that now, but ultimately everyone has a bad season in them and at some point this will come back to haunt him.

And like I said, why make the point in the 1st place. It is almost a no-brainier than he will play some lucrative ET events from September to October with nothing much happening in the US at that time of year.

D

Deleted member 18588

Not a fan of Augusta myself but it's earned its place as a major event.

I Do however think there is a place for a 5th major on another content than the US now its a truly global game

Not certain that we can truly consider golf to be global at the professional level.

TheTV audience in the USA totally dwarfs those elsewhere in the world as does the market for clubs and equipment.

Bearing these facts in mind it would be fair to say that pro' golf is an American sport that has appeal in a limited number of other countries.

Wolf

Visit site
Not certain that we can truly consider golf to be global at the professional level.

TheTV audience in the USA totally dwarfs those elsewhere in the world as does the market for clubs and equipment.

Bearing these facts in mind it would be fair to say that pro' golf is an American sport that has appeal in a limited number of other countries.
I disagree with you on that what with the growth in Asia of the game, perhaps viewing figures are the telling point though but without being able to compare the Asian markets viewing stats to US I wouldn't have a clue whether I'm disagreeing on purely opinion or fact.

D

Deleted member 18588

I disagree with you on that what with the growth in Asia of the game, perhaps viewing figures are the telling point though but without being able to compare the Asian markets viewing stats to US I wouldn't have a clue whether I'm disagreeing on purely opinion or fact.

Two countries currently dominate the Asian market; Japan and S.Korea.
Neither compare with the States.

Now if China and/or India, both of whom have growing middle-class, were to get really interested it could be different.

Trouble is the government in China seems to still be ambivalent towards golf.

Wolf

Visit site
Two countries currently dominate the Asian market; Japan and S.Korea.
Neither compare with the States.

Now if China and/or India, both of whom have growing middle-class, were to get really interested it could be different.

Trouble is the government in China seems to still be ambivalent towards golf.
Yup I was clearly basing it on opinion not fact as a result I stand corrected and happy to admit I was wrong. (don't tell my Mrs thought according to her I never admit that :ROFLMAO:)

Maybe one then it may become truly global, but the Chinese have an aversion to most things that began in the western world so perhaps we could be waiting a while.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yup I was clearly basing it on opinion not fact as a result I stand corrected and happy to admit I was wrong. (don't tell my Mrs thought according to her I never admit that :ROFLMAO:)

Maybe one then it may become truly global, but the Chinese have an aversion to most things that began in the western world so perhaps we could be waiting a while.

I think the objection of the authorities in Beijing is still ideological.

Some of them still consider all we golfers to be "bourgeois lapdogs".

Perhaps you should try that one on the two plonkers at your new Club.

Mind you sadly they sound as though they would consider it a compliment

Wolf

Visit site
I think the objection of the authorities in Beijing is still ideological.

Some of them still consider all we golfers to be "bourgeois lapdogs".

Perhaps you should try that one on the two plonkers at your new Club.

Mind you sadly they sound as though they would consider it a compliment
Your probably spot on with that observation on both the Chinese point and the 2 knobs at my club. Fortunately though the 2 knobs are the minority the Chinese howecwr that's a hell of. Slot of minds to change.

Wolf

Visit site
Don't even know if we can call it De Ja Vu anymore considering it's a weekly occurence for him now. Really do wonder if he is putting in a great deal of time on his game or just at a point where talent is getting him to where he is and lack of work is keeping him coming up short.

Just seems to be lacking that edge nowadays

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I expected him to challenge a bit more than he did after doing the solid legwork over the first three days to create the chance for himself

Watched most of the tv coverage this morning and he had birdie chances albeit longish ones, and a few putts where close to dropping. To my eye though he needed to get his 2nd/approach shots much closer to the flag as others were doing rather than just on the green and 15-20+ ft away and pressured to make long putts and the stats say the scoring on par 5's were a big part in his tournament score not being better (who'd have thought 3-4 yrs ago that poor play on par 5's would be a weakness for him!)

All the players seemed to be saying it was a day for a birdie fest and many scores back that claim up so in hindsight even shooting 6 under wouldn't have been enough for the win for him (or anyone else) but he wouldn't know that going out

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's almost as if he doesn't have any patience in the final round.
He knew he had to shoot well under par to have a chance, 3 behind and you could reasonably assume Woodland was going under by a shot or two..
So he goes out thinking "I've got to shoot 6/7 under" and starts pushing too early instead of waiting for the chances.
It was still a top 5 finish - albeit a small field - and was only 3 shots off 3rd.
Not the disaster that some will proclaim.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Going on his performances last year, that's the first time in a while (that I can remember) that he's shot 4 rounds under par. first outing of the year after 4 weeks or more off, it's a pretty good start, although if nitpicking, the final round was a bit of a disappointment scoring wise. Even if he did birdie another 4 or 5 holes, he wouldn't have beaten that excellent round by Schauffle. Not a bad way to start the year, and certainly not a disaster by any means.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's almost as if he doesn't have any patience in the final round.
He knew he had to shoot well under par to have a chance, 3 behind and you could reasonably assume Woodland was going under by a shot or two..
So he goes out thinking "I've got to shoot 6/7 under" and starts pushing too early instead of waiting for the chances.
It was still a top 5 finish - albeit a small field - and was only 3 shots off 3rd.
Interesting post. I saw an interview with him yesterday where he said this was what he was doing last year and he was going to try to avoid it this year. Maybe this round will reinforce this in his mind.