Rory

Wolf

Visit site
No sure but he could start with looking at his short game and his putting coz they are both rank rotten
Putting stats are very good on rankings, I think it's more to do with his application and desire. Something underlying the ability to rekindle form of old.

D

Deleted member 15344

Today it was his driving and a couple second shots that cost him shots , his wedge play and putting was good

I don’t think he is far away from bringing it all together - it’s all fine margins

D

Deleted member 1147

As I have said previously, stats are like miniskirts. Reveal.a lot but hide the most important thing.

Stats have a place and a role to play but to rely solely on them is foolhardy.
I agree, but looking back at some of his poorer rounds last year, it was his long game that deserted him.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What’s gone wrong?

Are we talking about Rory Mcilroy, 6th in World Rankings, top 10 on European money list, winner on tour this year, Ryder Cup winner and contended in the Masters? Said a bit in jest and he's not hitting the heights of those major wins but we're talking marginal differences and very competitive fields. A few points to iron out but hardly a man in crisis and could easily find a hot streak next year.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Putting stats are very good on rankings, I think it's more to do with his application and desire. Something underlying the ability to rekindle form of old.
Would love to see him
Are we talking about Rory Mcilroy, 6th in World Rankings, top 10 on European money list, winner on tour this year, Ryder Cup winner and contended in the Masters? Said a bit in jest and he's not hitting the heights of those major wins but we're talking marginal differences and very competitive fields. A few points to iron out but hardly a man in crisis and could easily find a hot streak next year.

I’m not saying he’s totally lost it.
But hasn’t he won once in 2yr?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I see he always seems to bottle on the Sunday, so it's obviously a mental thing. Often has three good rounds and can't get it over the line. I think this is where the perception of him being a bad putter comes from, because he'll hole nothing on the Sunday whereas he's been sinking them for three days beforehand.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What’s gone wrong?

6th in the world? Aye, things are terrible.

Possibly not that much is not wrong. Just there's a lot of good players about, and he's one of them. You can't win every week.

I think the majority of Rory's game is solid. But he is just prone to the odd unforced error, when he maybe gets a bit aggressive from the middle of the fairway, short sides himself and makes double from nowhere.

Technically, it would be being hyper critical of his game to say that he has major problems with any part of his physical game. But mentally, he maybe has to keep himself in a tournament longer rather than trying to birdie every hole.

Look at his current tournament. He's played 25 holes so far and has made 7 birdies. Unfortunately also made 3 bogeys and a double. He's sitting -2 for the event. Obviously Sergio is blitzing it at the moment, but 2nd place is -5, so really he's not miles away and could easily be involved in one of the final groups tomorrow.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Someone mentioned Sergio. A few years ago he took a year off. Seems to have worked out for him. I can't help thinking that Rory might benefit from a period away from the game, he just got married, get a bit of living out of the system and come back fresh.

Not sure his sponsors and employees would be thrilled, but I don't suppose he needs the cash.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Imo he is the best natural talentin the field, but whilst that was enough when he exploded on the scene it isnt now. He tends to have 2/3 good rounds and a poor won. Almost becoming a Kuchar in that he’s always in the money but rarely properly contends.

Quite often he’ll start a Sunday within a shot or two. Fall 4 behind through the round and let the winner waltz it, only to hit a few birdies at the end when he’s relaxed and out of it and somewhat paint over the cracks.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
There's an issue with regard to mentality and possibly also the frequency (or lack of) that he plays. As others have said, it's a fine line. The same could be said for Spieth, Matsuyama, Stenson and possibly a few others - all have fallen outside the top 10 in the past year - Spieth from 2nd to 14th! Conversely, McIlroy has re-established himself in the top 10 this year so arguably it could be a question of what he's doing right.

The difficulty is, for all the talent and the fabulous 2 year run, McIlroy seems to get held to a higher expected standard and I think similarly he holds himself to that standard, whilst also trying to balance other things in his life. He expects to win majors but I'm not sure that expectation is matched by desire / hardwork or the mentality to make it happen. Still, it's a fine line, he could easy go 64, 64 on saturday and sunday and people wouldn't be surprised, whilst also going even par on a tricky course (unless you're Garcia!) and people are surprised.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No access to a screen but hopefully catch some highlights later

Rory seems to have the 1st par 5 easily in his pocket but really struggling compared to the field on the other three, all are playing under par but he has 4 pars 1 bird and a bogey. This will be partly to blame for being so far back after two days

No idea if the field are playing them as 2 or 3 shot'ers and what if anything Rory is doing differently but he's effectively losing shots each day

Wolf

Visit site
There's an issue with regard to mentality and possibly also the frequency (or lack of) that he plays. As others have said, it's a fine line. The same could be said for Spieth, Matsuyama, Stenson and possibly a few others - all have fallen outside the top 10 in the past year - Spieth from 2nd to 14th! Conversely, McIlroy has re-established himself in the top 10 this year so arguably it could be a question of what he's doing right.

Spieth is hitting the ball as well as ever but he really is struggling to putt, he has a round where he holes almost everything then 3 rounds where he can't buy a putt. I listened to a podcast the other day on Golf Talk America and they had The guy that runs Hank Hanley golf school, apparently he is friends with Spieth coach, they spoke about how they believe Jordan has the 'yips' which is why he is struggling.

But according to what they were saying, Spieth won't try something unconventional or different to stop it. How accurate that is I don't know, but from watching him he certainly doesn't hole out with the confidence of 2 years ago

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
People have every right to question Rory, he was talked up and bummed up as the heir to Tiger's throne. He was going to be the next superstar who was going to dominate golf.

He's failed to live up to that hype quite spectacularly.

He is on a winless streak and his game is not at the same level (currently) as DJ, JT, Brooks etc.

Rory needs to win again soon as the new breed of golfers coming through are not scared of him and he certainly doesn't have the dominance or intimidating presence of Mr Woods.

D

Deleted member 15344

People have every right to question Rory, he was talked up and bummed up as the heir to Tiger's throne. He was going to be the next superstar who was going to dominate golf.

He's failed to live up to that hype quite spectacularly.

He is on a winless streak and his game is not at the same level (currently) as DJ, JT, Brooks etc.

Rory needs to win again soon as the new breed of golfers coming through are not scared of him and he certainly doesn't have the dominance or intimidating presence of Mr Woods.

Really ? Has so far more majors than the players you mention , spent more weeks at number 1 than the players you mention ,

He has still had a very good year , consistent throughout - the competition around the tours is tough and he has been up there challenging many times.

He still is a superstar of the game - but I don’t think anyone was going to dominate Woods did because the spread of top golfers is quite vast right now