Rory

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Really ? Has so far more majors than the players you mention , spent more weeks at number 1 than the players you mention ,

He has still had a very good year , consistent throughout - the competition around the tours is tough and he has been up there challenging many times.

He still is a superstar of the game - but I don’t think anyone was going to dominate Woods did because the spread of top golfers is quite vast right now
Spieth has won the same number of majors in a career which is only half as long, Rory is a great player in his own right but he is not a dominant player, he can dominate a golf course on his day but he will never dominate the pga tour so really couldnt be mentioned with tiger or jack imho. Britain is a small place compared to the states or Europe, and the English in particular have a habit of bumming people up in sports to a level which is not realistic and puts pressure on the player, let him play golf, he will be what he will be, one of the best of his generation but not dominant of his generation

D

Deleted member 15344

Spieth has won the same number of majors in a career which is only half as long, Rory is a great player in his own right but he is not a dominant player, he can dominate a golf course on his day but he will never dominate the pga tour so really couldnt be mentioned with tiger or jack imho. Britain is a small place compared to the states or Europe, and the English in particular have a habit of bumming people up in sports to a level which is not realistic and puts pressure on the player, let him play golf, he will be what he will be, one of the best of his generation but not dominant of his generation

Spieth has only won three 👍

Umm not sure what the stuff about England is about tbh

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Spieth has only won three 👍

Umm not sure what the stuff about England is about tbh
Sorry didn't realise it was just the 3, career half as long and done pretty much everything Rory has. The Americans don't big him up, us Scots don't big him up, the Irish are pretty grounded, mainly English journalists who spout nonsense, Mark roe, Nick Doherty to name a couple. Rory is very marketable, similar to Ricky Fowler in a sense, very good to market the game to kids. Could possibly be something to do why they big him up, he's just not as good a player as he is made out to be, and don't misinterpret me, he is a great golfer but he is not the next Michael Jordan or peel of golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry didn't realise it was just the 3, career half as long and done pretty much everything Rory has.

Well apart from about 10 Comp wins - but he has started his career well

The Americans don't big him up, us Scots don't big him up, the Irish are pretty grounded, mainly English journalists who spout nonsense, Mark roe, Nick Doherty to name a couple.

Are you talking Spieth here or Rory ?

[/quote] Rory is very marketable, similar to Ricky Fowler in a sense, very good to market the game to kids. Could possibly be something to do why they big him up, he's just not as good a player as he is made out to be, and don't misinterpret me, he is a great golfer but he is not the next Michael Jordan or peel of golf[/QUOTE]

I think it’s already been said that he was overhyped a touch in regards getting the same level of wins as Nicklaus and Woods

But your post seems to be more a point the finger at English golf pundits for some reason , and surprised you didn’t mention - Clarke and McGinley who both have gone overboard about Rory , so has Coltart and heard the Golf Channel and CBS overblow his hype - so it’s nonsense to point a finger at English media

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Well apart from about 10 Comp wins - but he has started his career well

Are you talking Spieth here or Rory ?
Rory is very marketable, similar to Ricky Fowler in a sense, very good to market the game to kids. Could possibly be something to do why they big him up, he's just not as good a player as he is made out to be, and don't misinterpret me, he is a great golfer but he is not the next Michael Jordan or peel of golf[/QUOTE]

I think it’s already been said that he was overhyped a touch in regards getting the same level of wins as Nicklaus and Woods

But your post seems to be more a point the finger at English golf pundits for some reason , and surprised you didn’t mention - Clarke and McGinley who both have gone overboard about Rory , so has Coltart and heard the Golf Channel and CBS overblow his hype - so it’s nonsense to point a finger at English media[/QUOTE]
McGinley is pretty realistic with Rory or certainly has been the last year or so, haven't heard much from Clarke recently. Harrington is if anytjing slightly critical of Rorys application. I'm talking about Rory, the American pundits will point out spieth weaknesses and criticise him, it always seems the British media don't call it as it is with Rory

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In my opinion I think Rory has missed some great opportunities, especially the Augusta meltdown. I think he has a talent as his record shows but he's too patchy in form for me to say he's truly matched his potential. When he's on, he's great, but when he's off and that seems to be happening regularly, he looks no more than average. I hope he can sort whatever his holding him back and kick on. That said, I still think he's got a way to do to be the best British major winner of all time

Wolf

Visit site
In my opinion I think Rory has missed some great opportunities, especially the Augusta meltdown. I think he has a talent as his record shows but he's too patchy in form for me to say he's truly matched his potential. When he's on, he's great, but when he's off and that seems to be happening regularly, he looks no more than average. I hope he can sort whatever his holding him back and kick on. That said, I still think he's got a way to do to be the best British major winner of all time
Begs the question will Rory win more majors than Faldo, needs 2 to tie 3 to become the best. I actually don't think he will.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry didn't realise it was just the 3, career half as long and done pretty much everything Rory has. The Americans don't big him up, us Scots don't big him up, the Irish are pretty grounded, mainly English journalists who spout nonsense, Mark roe, Nick Doherty to name a couple. Rory is very marketable, similar to Ricky Fowler in a sense, very good to market the game to kids. Could possibly be something to do why they big him up, he's just not as good a player as he is made out to be, and don't misinterpret me, he is a great golfer but he is not the next Michael Jordan or peel of golf

The Americans massively hyped Spieth up when he was on four four majors in a row. Albeit he only had 2 at the time.....
Same as they were going crazy about his record at the masters until his melt down. They simply dropped him and stopped building him up as soon as he hit a slump.

As to the media support. McGinley spent a whole season in hot flushes whenever Rory was on sky!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Begs the question will Rory win more majors than Faldo, needs 2 to tie 3 to become the best. I actually don't think he will.

I think it all depends on the masters. That place haunts him. It’s all well and good saying he completed last year, but he didn’t. Not really. If he wins there in the next 2/3 seasons I could see him getting to 8 or 9. But until he beats that place I think it’ll take his attention off everywhere else.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't either. I can see maybe one more but while he's got the monkey of the major grand slam on the table it adds to the pressure. As I've said, he's streaky and so his major form has to coincide with an upturn in his fortunes. I like him when he's on, just wish he'd do it more regularly

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't either. I can see maybe one more but while he's got the monkey of the major grand slam on the table it adds to the pressure. As I've said, he's streaky and so his major form has to coincide with an upturn in his fortunes. I like him when he's on, just wish he'd do it more regularly
I'd have to question his desire, faldo had the desire and the want to improve and get better, improved his game technically and with that built the confidence and lifted him mentally to a higher level. It's what Rory would have to do in my opinion to be in the same talk as even Gary player, Tom Watson but I just don't think he has the kind of personality and the determination to go back to basics and work on the flaws. Great driver of the ball, streaky putter, great long irons, good mid irons. Short irons and wedge play is very average and it is a technical issue not mental

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd have to question his desire, faldo had the desire and the want to improve and get better, improved his game technically and with that built the confidence and lifted him mentally to a higher level. It's what Rory would have to do in my opinion to be in the same talk as even Gary player, Tom Watson but I just don't think he has the kind of personality and the determination to go back to basics and work on the flaws. Great driver of the ball, streaky putter, great long irons, good mid irons. Short irons and wedge play is very average and it is a technical issue not mental

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree

Wolf

Visit site
I think it all depends on the masters. That haunts him. It’s all well and good saying he completed last year, but he didn’t. Not really. If he wins there in the next 2/3 seasons I could see him getting to 8 or 9. But until he beats that place I think it’ll take his attention off everywhere else.

Completely agree Augusta is a mental block for him, can't see him hitting that many many majors, it's so much more competitive with the guys he is now facing and those still to come.

100% with you on that, he is immense off the tee, sneaky with the flat stick but his short irons, wedge play and short game around the green is not good enough. Imo like you said he certainly doesn't have the mental drive of a Faldo to do what it takes, grind out scores bad days and stay in touch with the leading pack.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

To put it context Faldo won his first at 30, so Rory has a head start of four majors.

I really think people here underestimate how hard golf is and how few people win multiple majors. As someone mentioned he’s already in the top 30 of all time, ignoring his Ryder cup record, race to Dubai, fedex cup etc.

As for the Masters being a mental block, there may be an element but it’s minor. He’s been top 10 for the last 5 years. It will happen with the course knowledge he’s developing.

Open top 10 for the last 4 years played, that’s not easy either.

Some issues but they’re minor and he’ll end up most decorated European by the time he retires.

Wolf

Visit site
To put it context Faldo won his first at 30, so Rory has a head start of four majors.

I really think people here underestimate how hard golf is and how few people win multiple majors. As someone mentioned he’s already in the top 30 of all time, ignoring his Ryder cup record, race to Dubai, fedex cup etc.

As for the Masters being a mental block, there may be an element but it’s minor. He’s been top 10 for the last 5 years. It will happen with the course knowledge he’s developing.

Open top 10 for the last 4 years played, that’s not easy either.

Some issues but they’re minor and he’ll end up most decorated European by the time he retires.

I don't think any of us on here under estimate how hard golf is that's why we're here posting and taking about it rather than making a living from it. He has indeed got a decent record but imo he won't surpass Faldo and won't reach the numbers of Player, Watson or Palmer