Rory

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You are focusing on the wrong part.

He was built up and up and up by the press. He was going to be challenging Tiger and Jack for major records. He's done nothing of the kind and not looked like it for years either.

I'll take you back once again to the final hole of the Open this year.

Sums up where he is.

D

Deleted member 15344

You are focusing on the wrong part.

He was built up and up and up by the press. He was going to be challenging Tiger and Jack for major records. He's done nothing of the kind and not looked like it for years either.

I'll take you back once again to the final hole of the Open this year.

Sums up where he is.

The media blow up anyone that comes along and stands out - I would expect most would have taken it with a pinch of salt . I don’t think anyone really expected him to reach the level of majors that Woods or Nicklaus won - it just wasn’t going to happen regardless of how good a player is - it’s just too tough out there.

Behind Woods and Mickleson I think he has won the most majors of the current crop and he still has plenty of time yet to add to them. It’s fine margins , tough opposition - only one guy can win and it’s normally a field where you could think of at least 20 guys who can win.

Did you really think that Rory was going to reach domination levels that Woods did ? I didn’t and I expect most didn’t and ignored the overhype by the media

The crucial part of your post is - Built up by the press - not him or anyone else but the press

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
People have every right to question Rory, he was talked up and bummed up as the heir to Tiger's throne. He was going to be the next superstar who was going to dominate golf.

He's failed to live up to that hype quite spectacularly.
/QUOTE]
It's not his fault he's not reached the dizzy heights that the media hype made out that he would...
I don't remember Rory coming out and saying that if he didn't break Jack's record and be as dominant as Tiger then I'll have failed in my life and career....
Hype is a stupid thing to believe in.
He's a human being who plays golf pretty well, he's had success and he's had failure and anyone with an ounce of savvy knows he was never, ever going to be the dominating player that Tiger was

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The media blow up anyone that comes along and stands out - I would expect most would have taken it with a pinch of salt . I don’t think anyone really expected him to reach the level of majors that Woods or Nicklaus won - it just wasn’t going to happen regardless of how good a player is - it’s just too tough out there.

Behind Woods and Mickleson I think he has won the most majors of the current crop and he still has plenty of time yet to add to them. It’s fine margins , tough opposition - only one guy can win and it’s normally a field where you could think of at least 20 guys who can win.

Did you really think that Rory was going to reach domination levels that Woods did ? I didn’t and I expect most didn’t and ignored the overhype by the media

The crucial part of your post is - Built up by the press - not him or anyone else but the press

Clearly this forum did.

My opinion on Rory is he's a huge underachiever to date. So much talent.

Wolf

Visit site
People hyped him up because they wanted someone to create a challenge to Tiger to create rivalry, but any sensible person knew that was never going to happen. Players like Tiger come along only once every few generations, Nicklaus dominance ended with his last major in 1986 and was 11 years before we witnessed a successor to that throne with Tigers masters win in 1997, in between that time we had the likes of Faldo, Langer, Strange, Price and only a couple of others trading major wins.

Now Rory has 4 majors whilst still in his 20s and is being written off by some, there won’t be another dominating player like Tiger until well after Tiger is finished, but what we do have now is a boat load of sensational players capable of winning as many as Rory or more so he now sits in a field of golf which is more competitive than its ever been so to expect him to go and dominate everything as Woods has is ludicrous really.

D

Deleted member 15344

Clearly this forum did.

My opinion on Rory is he's a huge underachiever to date. So much talent.

Did this forum really think Rory was going to dominate like Woods did ?

My opinion is he is hugely talented and has won some superb comps and when he hits form it’s hard to see people getting to him but he is just searching for all the elements to come together.

He still in his 20’s but has won so much already - I can see him winning a couple more and possibly end up the most successful European golfer

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Did this forum really think Rory was going to dominate like Woods did ?

My opinion is he is hugely talented and has won some superb comps and when he hits form it’s hard to see people getting to him but he is just searching for all the elements to come together.

He still in his 20’s but has won so much already - I can see him winning a couple more and possibly end up the most successful European golfer

You do. You defend him like a long lost brother anytime anyone questions his bottle and dreadful short game.

🤔🤔

Rory is a huge underachiever in golf. He may get another couple of major wins in but at this time I just honestly can't see him getting it across the line.

D

Deleted member 15344

You do. You defend him like a long lost brother anytime anyone questions his bottle and dreadful short game.

🤔🤔

Rory is a huge underachiever in golf. He may get another couple of major wins in but at this time I just honestly can't see him getting it across the line.

How the heck can you come up with me believing the over hype ?

Yes because I think most of the stuff said about him it complete nonsense but how does that equate to thinking he will match Woods dominance ?

He is 29 and has already got 4 majors - how many do you think he should have won ?

Up to 25 wins I think it is now , he has prob had one really poor season 2013 but every other season he has been there or there abouts with consistent performances and at least a win each season bar the injury hit 2017 ( still 5th on the RTD ) .

You would think he was some washed up has been the way some react on here.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Underachieved compared to who?
He's 29
He's in the top 20 of Major winners - if he wins another you can make that top 14
He's won 23 times worldwide
Along with Jack, Tiger and Jordan he's one of only 4 people to have won 4 majors by the age of 25
He was world number 1 for nearly 2 years.
And all that since turning Pro 11 years ago.
Apart from Tiger, I doubt there are many that have achieved so much in that amount of time.
But you can't please some people...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Underachieved compared to who?
He's 29
He's in the top 20 of Major winners - if he wins another you can make that top 14
He's won 23 times worldwide
Along with Jack, Tiger and Jordan he's one of only 4 people to have won 4 majors by the age of 25
He was world number 1 for nearly 2 years.
And all that since turning Pro 11 years ago.
Apart from Tiger, I doubt there are many that have achieved so much in that amount of time.
But you can't please some people...

Underachiever due to his unquestionable talent. Yet has failed to capitalise on his talent. He's had meltdowns and blow ups, he's been exceptionally poor on greens at times and his short game is not as good as others. Even under pressure he's hit a few horrendous wild drives which is what he's meant to be the best at.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think his general play is worse now than a couple of years ago.
For a top pro his short irons and putting is not up to standard.
He hits the ball as good as anybody but on his bad days they are bad, where others can still manage an under par round when not playing well.
Wether it’s mental or not only he knows.
My personal opinion is he has put on to much muscle, this gives you great power but takes finnesse out of your game.
Garcia wasn’t putting well but won the masters and should have won many more majors.
Only he can sort it out , soon I hope as the lad is a top player and so good to watch.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Really ? Has so far more majors than the players you mention , spent more weeks at number 1 than the players you mention ,

He has still had a very good year , consistent throughout - the competition around the tours is tough and he has been up there challenging many times.

He still is a superstar of the game - but I don’t think anyone was going to dominate Woods did because the spread of top golfers is quite vast right now

Imo the Woods we witnessed at his peak would have been as dominate now as he was then. I think the reason nobody dominates like Woods did is simply because none of them are anywhere near as good as he was.

I watched Rory today. He seemed to have no game plan.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So you're not allowed to play badly for a while......?

An equally talented player has been around about the same amount of time
He's 5 years older but turned Pro about the same time
He's been #1
He's won 20 times
But only 1 Major
And only once outside USA

Dustin Johnson
Just sayin'

I don’t think many would have picked DJ out as the next superstar like they did Rory. I think most discuss Rory as they feel he’s underachieved. Maybe he was simply overhyped to start with.

If he retired tomorrow, people would say he’s had a great career. But if he plays til he’s 40 and only wins once every other year, I think most would say it’s less than they expected.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
How the heck can you come up with me believing the over hype ?

Yes because I think most of the stuff said about him it complete nonsense but how does that equate to thinking he will match Woods dominance ?

maybe it is,but it’s other people’s opinion.
It’s nothing personal to you so not sure why you get your nickers in such a twist over it.

Opinions,were all entitled to them & they don’t all have to be the same as yours. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love Rory to bits but I'd be interested to be a fly on the wall to see what his day to day practice regimen and attitude is compared to say Justin Rose.

Rightly or wrongly it seems as though Rory's disinterested much of the time and not quite making the best of his talent, in contrast to Rose who seems to get the absolute best out of what he's got.

That might be completely unfair but I'd love to see a hungry Rory firing on all cylinders and winning more majors in style ...

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Love Rory to bits but I'd be interested to be a fly on the wall to see what his day to day practice regimen and attitude is compared to say Justin Rose.

Rightly or wrongly it seems as though Rory's disinterested much of the time and not quite making the best of his talent, in contrast to Rose who seems to get the absolute best out of what he's got.

That might be completely unfair but I'd love to see a hungry Rory firing on all cylinders and winning more majors in style ...

I think if you asked Rory and got an honest answer from him, he would tell you he has underachieved.

As a youngster he loved the game, the golf course was the only place he wanted to be. I will never forget an old interview he did several years ago where he admitted he had lost that love....he saw it more as a job/chore. Therein lies the problem and it appears to underpin everything since - he just isn't that interested

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
maybe it is,but it’s other people’s opinion.
It’s nothing personal to you so not sure why you get your nickers in such a twist over it.

Opinions,were all entitled to them & they don’t all have to be the same as yours. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Because he loves Rory and can’t believe he hasn’t won more.
There’s no doubt Rory will come back but will never dominate like many thought.
Imo he’s mentally weak especially compared to Rose or Speith.
Once he learns to battle and stay in the moment he will start winning again very soon.
If not he will be just one of many just in with a chance.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think Rory is an “all or nothing” type of guy who will go all out when he really is firing but just can’t seem to grab himself by the neck and drag a round out of himself

He also seems to beat himself up to much and let a bad shot affect him - The Masters was a perfect example - as soon as he missed that eagle putt his shoulders dropped and he just cooldnt get himself going.

Some will say the caddy doesn’t help but I think it’s his mentality - he has the ability to blow the field away at any Comp

There is something missing - maybe Golf isn’t his priority in life now he is married etc

Wolf

Visit site
I think Rory is an “all or nothing” type of guy who will go all out when he really is firing but just can’t seem to grab himself by the neck and drag a round out of himself

He also seems to beat himself up to much and let a bad shot affect him - The Masters was a perfect example - as soon as he missed that eagle putt his shoulders dropped and he just cooldnt get himself going.

Some will say the caddy doesn’t help but I think it’s his mentality - he has the ability to blow the field away at any Comp

There is something missing - maybe Golf isn’t his priority in life now he is married etc
Think that sums Rory up completely, as good as he is he doesn't have the ability to grind out a competitive round when he isn't firing on all cylinders.

Once his has a bad hole or if he doesn't get off to a flyer his head goes and he can't find that gear that let's him get round and stay in touch. Imo he will finish behind in career majors by the likes of Koepka, Spieth and Thomas. He is a sensationally good player when he is firing on all cylinders but to be great he has to do it when it's not all going his own way.

I think next year will be another majorless year for him and longer that continues the more his head will go