Rory

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
To put it context Faldo won his first at 30, so Rory has a head start of four majors.

I really think people here underestimate how hard golf is and how few people win multiple majors. As someone mentioned he’s already in the top 30 of all time, ignoring his Ryder cup record, race to Dubai, fedex cup etc.

As for the Masters being a mental block, there may be an element but it’s minor. He’s been top 10 for the last 5 years. It will happen with the course knowledge he’s developing.

Open top 10 for the last 4 years played, that’s not easy either.

Some issues but they’re minor and he’ll end up most decorated European by the time he retires.
Hogan didn't have any majors at 30, ended up with 9, grit, determination, brains and talent all encompassed in one man. I respect golfers who work hard and grind it more, golfers who don't rely on talent alone, it shows they have something more.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hogan didn't have any majors at 30, ended up with 9, grit, determination, brains and talent all encompassed in one man. I respect golfers who work hard and grind it more, golfers who don't rely on talent alone, it shows they have something more.

Which is absolutely fine to have that preference and respect for a golfer who dedicates his time, and just like Wolf on what he thinks the final outcome.

What I disagree with is writing down a player and suggesting underachievement or failure when he has won more before 30 than a lot of the greatest. Hogan you mentioned, Palmer had one, Faldo none.

Personally as mentioned, I think a player who has been top 10 in 11 of the last 19 majors has a good chance to win a fair few more. I also think it’s likely that most players improve in their 30s, especially improving focus and graft compared with a period in Rory’s life where he’s settling down and recently married.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the next 10 years will we see Rory's length off the tee advantage become less of a weapon?

We now have one young player who can smoke it past him by 20 yards in Champ.

Gary player constantly says golfers will soon all be 6 foot 5 and hit it 400 yards. he might not be too far off the mark.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Which is absolutely fine to have that preference and respect for a golfer who dedicates his time, and just like Wolf on what he thinks the final outcome.

What I disagree with is writing down a player and suggesting underachievement or failure when he has won more before 30 than a lot of the greatest. Hogan you mentioned, Palmer had one, Faldo none.

Personally as mentioned, I think a player who has been top 10 in 11 of the last 19 majors has a good chance to win a fair few more. I also think it’s likely that most players improve in their 30s, especially improving focus and graft compared with a period in Rory’s life where he’s settling down and recently married.
Thing with Rory is, life will probably get in the way, children will no doubt come over the next few years etc, time becomes more precious and golf becomes more of a job and family will rightly come first. Good golfer he is, although things may have come too easy too quickly at first and it may have hindered him in some way. When things come too easy, it's all too easy to be complacent and think they will just happen again

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory seems to be a bit like another great Northern Irish sportsman. More natural talent than his peers and able to pull off some stunning performances, but maybe distracted by other things in life. I'm referring to George Best, of course.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Rory seems to be a bit like another great Northern Irish sportsman. More natural talent than his peers and able to pull off some stunning performances, but maybe distracted by other things in life. I'm referring to George Best, of course.
Best was an alcoholic who slept with more women in a week than the average single man did in a year. Rory is married and as far as I know, doesn’t have a drink problem.

It’s a bit of a jump :D

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Best was an alcoholic who slept with more women in a week than the average single man did in a year.
Rory is married and as far as I know, doesn’t have a drink problem.
It’s a bit of a jump :D
I was not suggesting that Rory has the same problems Best had, just that he perhaps has a similar lack of single minded determination that means he is squandering his immense talent.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I was not suggesting that Rory has the same problems Best had, just that he perhaps has a similar lack of single minded determination that means he is squandering his immense talent.
I didn’t get to see Best play, but from what I’ve seen online and read. He seemed to be able to perform despite all the antics. That would make them different in that respect.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I didn’t get to see Best play, but from what I’ve seen online and read. He seemed to be able to perform despite all the antics. That would make them different in that respect.
Saw Best play in the Autumn of his career and even then, he had more talent than every other player on the pitch and when he wanted to turn it on for a few minutes he'd go into a different gear and you could almost see him at Old Trafford in United red. I disagree though about McIlroy's lack of drive and determination as it's one thing to be a talented kid on national TV to becoming a multi-major champion so he's clearly go something in him to work hard and get his game to that level.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Saw Best play in the Autumn of his career and even then, he had more talent than every other player on the pitch and when he wanted to turn it on for a few minutes he'd go into a different gear and you could almost see him at Old Trafford in United red. I disagree though about McIlroy's lack of drive and determination as it's one thing to be a talented kid on national TV to becoming a multi-major champion so he's clearly go something in him to work hard and get his game to that level.

I don’t think anyone (myself included) doubts the hard work he put in to get where he did. I think some maybe question his application now.

My point in regards best was simply that in spite of everything that came with him as a package his level of ability was such that he could still boss it by turning up. Where as Rory needs to put the effort in to dominate. Atm, maybe he has other priorities, which is totally his right.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Begs the question will Rory win more majors than Faldo, needs 2 to tie 3 to become the best. I actually don't think he will.
Sadly it's looking less and less likely.

I hope something clicks
I don’t think anyone (myself included) doubts the hard work he put in to get where he did. I think some maybe question his application now.
Exactly.

What we can see from his attitude and demeanour in the public eye makes one wonder if he's still got the passion and drive to put in all the ugly work behind closed doors. After all, champions are built on the work they do in private that only a very select few (coaches, caddies, mentors, managers etc) ever get to witness.

That's not to say he's lazy or completely disinterested but is he quite as driven as when he burst onto the scene?

Not convinced (sadly).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory won't win another major in my opinion. He doesn't have the mental strength for it, his head has gone. Will be happy if he proves me wrong though.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sure he's trying his best but agree with others he just doesn't seem to 'have' it anymore. His decision making at times seems strange and wonder if a top quality caddy would help; sure others like Sergio have used his brother and Westwood his girlfriend but long term I'm sure he's benefit from someone really experienced. As such why doesn't he ask Billy Foster?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I blame the abundance of money at the top of the tree. Rory could walk away from golf right now and live like a king for the rest of his life. I can understand why sometimes he doesn't look interested.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rory is streaky. Always has been. WHEN he comes good again, and it is when, no one will touch him. Unfortunately unless that streak conincides with a major week, particularly in April, he's going to continue to be frustrated and to frustrate. His putting just came good recently and his driving deserted him. We all know what it's like to have some things firing and others not. You need them all plus a bit of luck to win on such competitive tours now. I agree that money is no longer a motivation but I think it would be silly to suggest he doesn't want to cement his place as a great of the game, it's all he's done all his life. My only reservation at the moment is his choice of caddy, as I read recently, "caddies should be friendly, but not friends". Some guys don't need them as much as others, look at Lee with his partner on the bag this last few weeks. But Rory does need managing on the course imo and I'm not sure Harry has what it takes either to pull him out of a spiral or keep him rolling when he's on. His closing 64 at the Arnold Palmer in March was magic stuff, he holed everything he looked and won against a stacked field. I do think he'll win more majors, I just hope he gets the monkey off his back and a green jacket on it so he can get on with stocking up the cupboard.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Have any players with less talent who are less consistent than Rory won a major since Rory last did?

If you find yourself answering yes then reconsider if you think Rory will never win another major.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Rory is streaky. Always has been. WHEN he comes good again, and it is when, no one will touch him. Unfortunately unless that streak conincides with a major week, particularly in April, he's going to continue to be frustrated and to frustrate. His putting just came good recently and his driving deserted him. We all know what it's like to have some things firing and others not. You need them all plus a bit of luck to win on such competitive tours now. I agree that money is no longer a motivation but I think it would be silly to suggest he doesn't want to cement his place as a great of the game, it's all he's done all his life. My only reservation at the moment is his choice of caddy, as I read recently, "caddies should be friendly, but not friends". Some guys don't need them as much as others, look at Lee with his partner on the bag this last few weeks. But Rory does need managing on the course imo and I'm not sure Harry has what it takes either to pull him out of a spiral or keep him rolling when he's on. His closing 64 at the Arnold Palmer in March was magic stuff, he holed everything he looked and won against a stacked field. I do think he'll win more majors, I just hope he gets the monkey off his back and a green jacket on it so he can get on with stocking up the cupboard.
When Rory was good he was good.
But to say no one will touch him is silly.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Have to agree, there are more talented players than him and players just as talented who work harder. If he wants to become a great of the game he needs to get his head down and get on with it
On his day he can be as good as anyone.
But
Have any players with less talent who are less consistent than Rory won a major since Rory last did?

If you find yourself answering yes then reconsider if you think Rory will never win another major.
i think he’ll win another major.
Hope he hits some form as he’s good to watch.