Roll-ups

Mandofred

Visit site
No....I'm not banging on again about wanting to get ours going again (kind of....)

How many clubs out there are running a semi-normal roll-up? Not a whisper heard around our course yet.....but some clubs seem to have cranked them up again with booked off times like we used to do.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not running at mine, but the same people book the same times anyway. Just means can't all turn up at once. Can't see them returning as the club like to know who's on the course and in theory you were meant to book in at the pro shop, it rarely happened.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our usual slots reserved for seniors, ladies and other roll-ups, including weekends, are back to normal.

That said, we are currently playing catch up with our Winter League, so we haven’t got another Saturday roll-up much before the end of February.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Not running at mine. "Rolling up" is the opposite of what we're supposed to be doing. Any casual games should still involve booking in somehow to avoid crowds congregating.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We were running a "pre-booked" senior rollup, 3 or 4 ball. Seniors Captain would get a bunch of slots and then would (semi) randomly allocate the slots to participants. Now we have gone into tier 4, I suspect this plan will be on hold.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
All our roll-ups are running with 'pre-registering' and then a draw made by the relevant organizer on BRS the day before tee times are release generally

Mandofred

Visit site
Not running at mine. "Rolling up" is the opposite of what we're supposed to be doing. Any casual games should still involve booking in somehow to avoid crowds congregating.
Agreed. I was asking to find out more info. It "seemed" like I was reading a number of posts that indicated that certain clubs had gone back to a more casual/normal routine. One response so far indicates that their club has returned to roll-ups. Roll-ups seem to come in a number of different "flavors" though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We do ours by text message the week before the booking. Each player who knows he can play texts the organiser who then does the draw and notifies one of each 4 that they are responsible for booking the tee time.

Some groups use whatsapp groups and another I know still puts the ball in a hat on the day of the game.

We are required to have named players in each tee booking and the organiser is supposed to give the manager a list if the names of who played with whom if using balls in a hat or similar.

D

Deleted member 15344

No roll ups - no club should by definition should have rolls up now - everyone being treated equally , tbink it’s wrong for any group to get reserved tee times or tee times booked before general release.

Still think it’s daft anyone suggesting they won’t play golf if roll ups can’t happen

Mandofred

Visit site
No roll ups - no club should by definition should have rolls up now - everyone being treated equally , tbink it’s wrong for any group to get reserved tee times or tee times booked before general release.

Still think it’s daft anyone suggesting they won’t play golf if roll ups can’t happen
Daft......my middle name. Everybody isn't the same.....some people really like roll-ups, plenty really hate roll-ups. Neither view is wrong. Pssst.....I don't like olives or sausage either.

D

Deleted member 15344

Daft......my middle name. Everybody isn't the same.....some people really like roll-ups, plenty really hate roll-ups. Neither view is wrong. Pssst.....I don't like olives or sausage either.
But to give up the game because you can’t turn up and just throw the balls up is daft - there are many ways to organise around that .

Mandofred

Visit site
But to give up the game because you can’t turn up and just throw the balls up is daft - there are many ways to organise around that .
Just my point of view of course, but by that comment you don't understand the nature (and the social action) of our roll-ups. If you are booked ahead of time and you can't hang around afterwards.....it's just a normal booked golf BRS reservation.

Roll-ups just plain can't take place currently.....and even if they do come back it will be months before that happens. I'm really not too worried about it right now.....come the end of March I'll have to make a decision one way or another. I'm still 50-50 on it right now. I can understand why the club would do away with the roll-ups.....lot's of people don't like them and I understand that. I've stopped cycling in recent years because I was having too many close calls....lots of other people have got into cycling.....just wasn't worth it to me (and my wife wanted me to stop:(). My decision isn't right or wrong....just the right decision for me.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At my old club, the swindle/roll up grew from 25-30 up to 60 in one year, it was such a success that pre covid lock downs they moved it across to a hdid pre book the week before. The Thursday before the weekend it would get drawn and times emailed out.

great for controlling club house traffic but what started out a roll up casually for a 7.30 - 830/900 tee time has gone with some of the later groups going out near 9.30/10.00 ish.

I didn’t rejoin in 2020 as I wanted a year out to do the house, but with the roll up now being done in this manor I doubt I’ll rejoin my old home which after 10 years is a shame.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

No. There really aren't. Not at my club, and in the main roll up on Saturday. There are no other options than the way it is presently run, pre covid.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just my point of view of course, but by that comment you don't understand the nature (and the social action) of our roll-ups. If you are booked ahead of time and you can't hang around afterwards.....it's just a normal booked golf BRS reservation.

Roll-ups just plain can't take place currently.....and even if they do come back it will be months before that happens. I'm really not too worried about it right now.....come the end of March I'll have to make a decision one way or another. I'm still 50-50 on it right now. I can understand why the club would do away with the roll-ups.....lot's of people don't like them and I understand that. I've stopped cycling in recent years because I was having too many close calls....lots of other people have got into cycling.....just wasn't worth it to me (and my wife wanted me to stop:(). My decision isn't right or wrong....just the right decision for me.
It’s only recently where people can no longer hang around

It’s nice and simple - your organiser does a draw ( electronically throw the balls up ) book your tee time , play , then go into the clubhouse when everyone has finished - what’s the difference beyond turning up and waiting around ? What is wrong with that ?

I play in two swindles and we have managed to make them work all through out the year

We book at tee time , we then go into the clubhouse after

Having a tee booking system doesn’t stop swindles from happening

Mandofred

Visit site
It’s only recently where people can no longer hang around

It’s nice and simple - your organiser does a draw ( electronically throw the balls up ) book your tee time , play , then go into the clubhouse when everyone has finished - what’s the difference beyond turning up and waiting around ? What is wrong with that ?

I play in two swindles and we have managed to make them work all through out the year

We book at tee time , we then go into the clubhouse after

Having a tee booking system doesn’t stop swindles from happening
You are looking at things differently than me. The main argument against roll-ups (unless I'm wrong....as usual) is that they take big chunks out of Saturday (and other days) morning prime tee slots. People who didn't want to take part in the roll-ups, but still wanted to play with their buddies at that time, are upset because they can't get access to those tee times unless they played in the roll-ups. I can understand this.....they just want a game with the same people most times and like a lot of people they want to get it out of the way early so they have the rest of the day to do other things.

Hey....Lord Tyrion.....I was about to bring your name into this.....

D

Deleted member 15344

You are looking at things differently than me. The main argument against roll-ups (unless I'm wrong....as usual) is that they take big chunks out of Saturday (and other days) morning prime tee slots. People who didn't want to take part in the roll-ups, but still wanted to play with their buddies at that time, are upset because they can't get access to those tee times unless they played in the roll-ups. I can understand this.....they just want a game with the same people most times and like a lot of people they want to get it out of the way early so they have the rest of the day to do other things.

Hey....Lord Tyrion.....I was about to bring your name into this.....
So you have tee times and that way every member is given the same access and treated the same - roll ups shouldn’t get any special treatment when it comes to bookings unless they pay more fees than others.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not happening at my club at the moment. A shame as they are really popular and have been a brilliant tool for making new members find a lot of regular players really quickly and settle into the club. When we finally beat covid I am sure these will come back but now isn't the time to be worrying about them