Roll out or back spin?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Back spin is a combination of lie, grass, slope of lie, strike, cleanliness of grooves, slope of green, firmness, receptiveness of greens, trajectory.

Backspin is best gotten firing into a green that slopes upwards and from a tight lie.

I zipped one back with a hybrid in the Wednesday comp off the green. I say I, the conditions I put the ball in did really. Didn’t do me any favours.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your "greenside" wedges won't spin the ball that much "greenside"

We obviously have very different view points on a number of items.

I still get one hop, stop from greenside or with only marginal rollout if I want to play it that way.

It has become a bit harder with modern golf balls but used to be very easy to achieve with the older balls that used to spin a lot more than todays ones.

Last edited:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
My home course is in bad shape unfortunately so there's almost always more roll out than spin as there's grass between ball and club face. Played Hankley common this week and being in such great shape I had quite a few 40-60 yard pitches hop and stop that caught me by surprise leaving me very short.

Spin is great if you know how to play for it but roll out for me is far more predictable.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We obviously have very different view points on a number of items.

I still get one hop, stop from greenside or with only marginal rollout if I want to play it that way.

It has become a bit harder with modern golf balls but used to be very easy to achieve with the older balls that used to spin a lot more than todays ones.

I was actually going to say, may be in the days of balata balls but modern day balls don't spin as much as they used to, they're designed to stop more than spin but I'm not so sure enough clubhead speed is generated "greenside" may be in early season but just now on firm fast greens...hmm..

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've had a fair few occasions where I have slightly over hit a 53 or 56 degree wedge and its actually stopped quicker than I imagined it would, I wouldn't say they came spinning back at me but one hop and stopped dead is an accurate description.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was actually going to say, may be in the days of balata balls but modern day balls don't spin as much as they used to, they're designed to stop more than spin but I'm not so sure enough clubhead speed is generated "greenside" may be in early season but just now on firm fast greens...hmm..

It has also become a bit harder with modern wedges.