Roll Back Discussion

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm considering that not all balls that are on the shelves now will become non-conforming.
There will come a time when we know which are OK and which are to become obsolete.
The OK ones are likely to include the cheaper range.
Prices for the new conforming balls are likely to be extortionate as manufacturers and marketeers see a massive profit opportunity.
You will need to get in early on the buying up of existing conforming balls, because the price of these will rocket in the year leading up to the change.

Unless I'm wrong. ;):unsure:;):unsure:;):unsure:

Mandofred

Visit site
Now....if they would just start building golf courses on places like this..... even I could hit a long drive here. If just hitting the ball a long way is the goal.....heck, you wouldn't even need golf shoes.
1701678684676.jpeg

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting discussion on this week's Hack it Out podcast with guest Sasho Mackenzie. He is of the opinion that it is unlikely to reduce driving distance at a professional level, though it may alter a little the participants and favour those who can raise their clubhead speed to accommodate the new ball. He reckons that as at an elite level many people can lift their clubhead speed it is likely that the current distances are around optimum for them otherwise they would already be driving a further.

wjemather

Visit site
I'm considering that not all balls that are on the shelves now will become non-conforming.
There will come a time when we know which are OK and which are to become obsolete.
Prices for the new conforming balls are likely to be extortionate as manufacturers and marketeers see a massive profit opportunity.
You will need to get in early on the buying up of existing conforming balls, because the price of these will rocket in the year leading up to the change.

This is a real danger and the groundwork is being laid through false claims about massively increased r&d costs being passed on that are being circulated by OEMs and their ambassadors, and perpetuated by those gullible enough to believe them.

wjemather

Visit site
Interesting discussion on this week's Hack it Out podcast with guest Sasho Mackenzie. He is of the opinion that it is unlikely to reduce driving distance at a professional level, though it may alter a little the participants and favour those who can raise their clubhead speed to accommodate the new ball. He reckons that as at an elite level many people can lift their clubhead speed it is likely that the current distances are around optimum for them otherwise they would already be driving a further.
The reason most pros don't max themselves out is because it doesn't improve their scoring. It isn't distance they have optimised, it's the trade off between speed, quality of strike and control. You only need to listen to McIlroy on this.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
This is a real danger and the groundwork is being laid through false claims about massively increased r&d costs being passed on that are being circulated by OEMs and their ambassadors, and perpetuated by those gullible enough to believe them.
That's cleared that one up then. Thanks.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The reason most pros don't max themselves out is because it doesn't improve their scoring. It isn't distance they have optimised, it's the trade off between speed and control. You only need to listen to McIlroy on this.
His point is that the trade off would likely alter to roughly the current distance.

D-S

Visit site
The reason most pros don't max themselves out is because it doesn't improve their scoring. It isn't distance they have optimised, it's the trade off between speed, quality of strike and control. You only need to listen to McIlroy on this.
Luckily golfers are famously sceptical about any claim that they can 'buy' distance - they would never dream of buying a club or a ball that assured extra yards.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I must admit I am gullible enough to admit that I regard the theory that manufacturers will use this as an excuse to raise prices as more plausible than the theology that reducing distance will not affect amateurs.
Edit
Theology was a typo for theory but it does seem somewhat appropriate as it appears to be a belief system.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

this is the internet and people are never wrong!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will it be they will drop the compression of the tour balls.?

Lower compression balls will stop pros hitting it miles but won’t really affect ams.

So R&D will be minimal ,the 100 compression ball might be a thing of the past.

or is that to simple?

RichA

Visit site
Will it be they will drop the compression of the tour balls.?

Lower compression balls will stop pros hitting it miles but won’t really affect ams.

So R&D will be minimal ,the 100 compression ball might be a thing of the past.

or is that to simple?
That's what I'm guessing. The new premium ball will just be an RBZ Soft with a more spinny cover.
I will be able to continue using my stockpile of old RBZ Soft until they start making them again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I'm loads of pages behind and I don't really have time to catch up all the posts, so forgive me if this has already been answered, but..

If they limit the ball that all of us are using - how many yards lost are we actually, definitively talking for us amateurs? If I hit my drive 230 yards total, on average, how many yards will I lose? If it's like 3 or 4 then fine I guess - probably not that noticeable. If it's more like 10 or more then I'm going to be upset, as that essentially means having to hit two clubs longer into every decent length par 4.

And how on earth would they regulate it? Some guys out there now are still using balls that are 20 years old. I always use found balls for provisionals and so on - and the found balls will be the old kind for many years to come. Is every club going to have an official on the 1st tee checking your balls? (so to speak)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Question for anyone...
Has it actually been decided yet by what mechanism the distance of balls will be limited?
I can't see how anyone can really support or oppose the change until we know.
Why is the mechanism relevant ? All that matters is the result and the technical is behind the scenes. Its not as if most of us know the why and how of the current design. The mechanism may be of some curiosity interest, but really is only a concern for the ball manufacturers, and understandable by polymer engineers and experienced ball design people.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
His point is that the trade off would likely alter to roughly the current distance.
Which is acceptable. The goal of this change is to block future length. Its a long term good of the game move. To ensure what happened in 1997-2003 cannot happen again.