Roll Back Discussion

D-S

Visit site
For those concerned about having to hit more club and therefore missing more greens.
How many greens do you currently hit with say 7 or 6 irons, and how many with 7 wood etc ?

Will it really be such a big difference?
Well according to the distance stat zealots - yes.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
For those concerned about having to hit more club and therefore missing more greens.
How many greens do you currently hit with say 7 or 6 irons, and how many with 7 wood etc ?

I'm just happy i'll be able to blame the ball for missing the green now

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
so the course architect got it right, and the roll back brings back the hazards into play - so courses play as they are designed.

why is that not a good thing? It forces people to make a decision. Either the risk or failing, or the safe option and have a longer 2nd shot.

Well that's all relative to each course really.

If you carry it 240 then losing 5-10 yards wouldn't effect you at all at my place with crossing hazards. If you carry it 200 you stand to have a lot more risk now.

I don't know any club golfer who doesn't play courses are they are designed though, do you?

D

Deleted member 1147

Well I don't keep stats, but I reckon I'm as likely to miss a green with a 6 iron as a 5 iron

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wonder how long it will take the manufacturers to develop a ball under the new regulations that performs exactly the same as the current ones available.

With all the talk about the ball, you have to wonder if they have been holding back developments so as to not push the issue.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

My own suspicion is that there will be a different of a shot or two and it will put us back to a position where we were about 20 years ago or so with regards to distance.

Many people have not noticed this improvement in distance as it has been gradual and has probably occurred for many at a time where they would naturally lose distance through ageing.

Because the change is sudden rather than gradual it will be noticed but is probably not huge but will result in an increase in handicap and reduced ability to reach some longer holes in the same number of shots.

D-S

Visit site
I don't know any club golfer who doesn't play courses are they are designed though, do you?
We have our annual Reverse Course comp next week, where basically you play the course backwards - 1st hole is from close to the 18th green to the 17th green - 2nd from near 17th green to 16th green and so on. It is a good fun comp and, certainly not the course as it was designed, and throws up some fun (and some stupid) holes.

D

Deleted member 25172

I won't, I'm chucking it all in now.
Golf is ruined!
Boo-hoo! 😭
Yeah, pretty much. The reactions to just about anything today, no matter what it is, are so grossly over reactionary. 41 pages later on something where we don't even know yet what the practical impact of the decision will be. Amazing!

Anoetic

Visit site
A division in the distance people used to hit the ball used to exist but golf ball design and technology has made the gap much smaller.
i have a brand new sleeve of balata balls, it’s what i used to use and gave up distance for spin and control. For anyone who doesn’t know they had a liquid core, soft enough to dig a finger nail in, and you wrote them off with a thin, but were great balls for low handicaps (pro V1 replaced them)..high handicappers tended to use 2 piece balls to get distance and less spin.
a solution open to everyone is the answer, and taking ball control away from high swing speeds so a different ball is needed should be considered…

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I was just listening to a podcast with Lee Trevino.

He mentioned hitting 5 irons into par 5s and Jacks advantage being his length. Yet people would have us believe distance advantage a modern phenomenon.