Roll Back Discussion

sunshine

Visit site
My own suspicion is that there will be a different of a shot or two and it will put us back to a position where we were about 20 years ago or so with regards to distance.

Many people have not noticed this improvement in distance as it has been gradual and has probably occurred for many at a time where they would naturally lose distance through ageing.

Because the change is sudden rather than gradual it will be noticed but is probably not huge but will result in an increase in handicap and reduced ability to reach some longer holes in the same number of shots.
Speak for yourself. I always buy the latest taylormade driver and I’ve been seeing distance gains of 17 yards every year

sunshine

Visit site
so the course architect got it right, and the roll back brings back the hazards into play - so courses play as they are designed.

I don't know any club golfer who doesn't play courses are they are designed though, do you?

The double negative is confusing me. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with Wabinez?

We all agree the issue is many strategic hazards are no longer in play for longer hitters.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Those of us who were playing golf before 2000 know how many left the game because it wasnt possible to hit the ball as far as we can now.

Clubs struggled to find and keep members - the usual reason given, " I can only hit the ball 220 yards. The game just isnt fun. If I was able to hit it 226, then sure, I would stick with it" type stories. Very few people played the game at all if you go back to the 20th century.
Even pros only averaged 260-270 yard drives, and struggled to make tournament golf interesting for sports fans. There were some great golfers, Hogan, Nicklaus, Watson, etc who should have been household names. But instead were complete unknowns - "watch some guy on TV only hit a 265 yard drive? No thanks.".

And it wasnt as if we didnt know this was the elephant in the room. AGM after AGM, along with slow play, it was the topic - why cant we hit the ball further, golf would then be fun? You could recite the same complaint every year as people didnt renew their subscriptions citing golf balls being 5-10 yards too short to make the course playable, the game too frustrating, having to hit a 6 iron to a green instead of a 7i. It was a broken record (for those of us of that vintage). Threats from some members that they were going to play a longer ball whether it was legal or not, accusations from others that they were cheats, threatening to split the game and form their own unions for longer equipment, build their own 7400 yard courses, and other improvements like banning poker chip markers and iron covers. It was anarchy.

But the problem was solved by the Pro V1, 460cc, and 0.83COR...and now the R&A looks like they are going to take the game back to the dark ages...

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting from Eddie Pep on TCF indicating both balls and clubs were presented by Titleist, so wouldn't be surprised if both take a hit, but maybe the ball comes first.

Rumours are the official announcement is coming tomorrow.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
so the course architect got it right, and the roll back brings back the hazards into play - so courses play as they are designed.

The double negative is confusing me. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with Wabinez?

We all agree the issue is many strategic hazards are no longer in play for longer hitters.

Put simply - an average golfer does play the course as its designed. Its only the very elite that are overpowering them. Pathetic to change the game for all of us when its purely an elite level issue.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Why do we have to play a course as the architect imagined it to be played? Surely the point is to figure out a way to beat the course? Isn’t that the challenge of golf?

D

Deleted member 1147

Put simply - an average golfer does play the course as its designed. Its only the very elite that are overpowering them. Pathetic to change the game for all of us when its purely an elite level issue.
It's not only elite golfers who overpower courses.
My club moved the bunkers a few years ago because they had become obsolete for a large number of amateur golfers.
I'm by no means elite and I still fly some of them, but most were nowhere near my carry distance before the change, and I'm no longer classed as long.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Anyone who is not overpowering a course with 300 yard drives will not be affected by the change. So they have no need for the bee in their bonnets in the first place.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone who is not overpowering a course with 300 yard drives will not be affected by the change. So they have no need for the bee in their bonnets in the first place.
So many conflicting opinions on this. You're saying we wouldn't be affected yet other people are saying we'll all lose 10 yards. Which is it? I suppose the moral is we have no idea yet. :LOL:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the balls are reduced in their performance, by say 10%, the effect on the shorter hitting hacker is going to be so much less as to not really make much difference to their(our) game.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It's not only elite golfers who overpower courses.
My club moved the bunkers a few years ago because they had become obsolete for a large number of amateur golfers.
I'm by no means elite and I still fly some of them, but most were nowhere near my carry distance before the change, and I'm no longer classed as long.

Go on then... how far do you drive it?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the balls are reduced in their performance, by say 10%, the effect on the shorter hitting hacker is going to be so much less as to not really make much difference to their(our) game.
Have you even thought about this for a second before claiming it'll make no difference? 10% off 220 yards is 198 yards. That's already two clubs longer into the green - then factor in that your approach clubs are 10% shorter as well, you're now hitting 3 clubs longer into the green than before. How the hell is that making no difference?? Having to hit a green with 4 iron/hybrid/7 wood instead of a 7 iron is a totally different ball game.