Roll Back Discussion

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Crow, I respect your views on this issue, but the majority of people playing golf do not want this change. It simply is not acceptable to make changes to satisfy a small minority.
Only in the wonderful game of golf would we be debating the justification of regression for the sake of the integrity of a few golf courses around the world. That’s the nub of it, isn’t it. You want to see Rory having to hit a 5 iron into a long par 4?
Do you go out on a weekend and wish the ball wouldn’t go so damned far, that you wish you couldn’t make a par 4 in regulation despite hitting two of your absolute best shots…
You might of course, but most people absolutely do not want that.

The majority of people playing golf won't be affected by this change to any noticeable degree.

The changes aren't to satisfy a small minority, they're to protect the game from being ruined by technological/engineering advances.

It's not about the integrity of a few golf courses and I honestly don't give a :poop: what Rory hits into a green on a long par 4 as I lost interest in professional golf some years back.

I switched to playing vintage clubs to give me the full enjoyment of learning and playing all the shots, not just blast with driver, wedge on, if I can't make a long par 4 in reg I just accept it, I don't go crying into my beer back in the clubhouse, and neither do any of the golfers I play with, these are mostly seniors (not vintage players) who according to your viewpoint should be crying the most as they rarely reach greens in reg.

As I said earlier, form an action group for "golf2" if you think most people will hate rollback. If you don't have the time to do that then support one of the many that are surely to spring up.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The vast majority of golfers probably won't care. I literally don't care if I lose 3 yds off my drive....as long as it effects everybody about equally. I haven't seen the research that shows that a huge majority of players don't want the change. It's pretty easy to ask questions that will bias the answers one way or another.

Why would anybody care if Rory has to hit a 5 iron? He's a big boy and I'm sure he can handle it.

I'm still going to wait until the head honcho's test and test the final products and then tell people what the effects will be (a long time from now). That I've seen...nobody knows the answers.
Surely they do ? It is in the definition of the ball spec. A ball will be built to that spec. Testing will be validation that it meets the spec, not an experiment to see what spec the ball is. They didnt write it without knowing that it will deliver the desired result. By the definition, the distance will reduce, to an accurately predictable amount.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The majority of people playing golf won't be affected by this change to any noticeable degree.

The changes aren't to satisfy a small minority, they're to protect the game from being ruined by technological/engineering advances.

It's not about the integrity of a few golf courses and I honestly don't give a :poop: what Rory hits into a green on a long par 4 as I lost interest in professional golf some years back.

I switched to playing vintage clubs to give me the full enjoyment of learning and playing all the shots, not just blast with driver, wedge on, if I can't make a long par 4 in reg I just accept it, I don't go crying into my beer back in the clubhouse, and neither do any of the golfers I play with, these are mostly seniors (not vintage players) who according to your viewpoint should be crying the most as they rarely reach greens in reg.

As I said earlier, form an action group for "golf2" if you think most people will hate rollback. If you don't have the time to do that then support one of the many that are surely to spring up.
Thats 'many', as a euphemism for 'none' ? ;)

Mandofred

Visit site
Surely they do ? It is in the definition of the ball spec. A ball will be built to that spec. Testing will be validation that it meets the spec, not an experiment to see what spec the ball is. They didnt write it without knowing that it will deliver the desired result. By the definition, the distance will reduce, to an accurately predictable amount.
OK, tell me what will happen to me. I'm 66, handicap currently 6.1. Driver speed under 90mph....likely closer to 85. I use Bridgestone e12 Contact lately. What will be the effect on my driver? Hybrid? 54 degree wedge? I don't know the answer.... IFFFF as some people have mentioned, that the normal everyday player (me) will notice little to no effect from the ball change....why would I care?

Is there something I'm missing? It seems to me there is still plenty of time for them to make any adjustments to tweak things. If they throw the whole idea out the window.....I don't care.....it still won't effect me enough to care.

They changed the rules on javelins (80's?) to prevent them from going too far. The sport survived.....long throwers are still long throwers.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
OK, tell me what will happen to me. I'm 66, handicap currently 6.1. Driver speed under 90mph....likely closer to 85. I use Bridgestone e12 Contact lately. What will be the effect on my driver? Hybrid? 54 degree wedge? I don't know the answer.... IFFFF as some people have mentioned, that the normal everyday player (me) will notice little to no effect from the ball change....why would I care?

Is there something I'm missing? It seems to me there is still plenty of time for them to make any adjustments to tweak things. If they throw the whole idea out the window.....I don't care.....it still won't effect me enough to care.

They changed the rules on javelins (80's?) to prevent them from going too far. The sport survived.....long throwers are still long throwers.
Your golf will be the same. So for your personal golf, the change will make no difference. You will be 72 when it comes into effect, and ample time to consume any non conforming balls. (yes golf ball sales will decline in the interim, but will boom from 2030 to catch up).
If you care about the game in the wider sense, I presume you do see how it is for the benefit of the game in the long term. So no effect on most of us + good for the game => we all support rolback.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Ok - how is the game being ruined by technological advances?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Ok - how is the game being ruined by technological advances?
By tipping the balance of skills in the game more towards distance ability - which is a skill in itself certainly, but only one of an array in golf - and away from precision, control, shaping, judgement, consistency, etc.
Ruined is a word to far, but the game has already been damaged to some extent. This move at least draws a line in the sand against further harm.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Oh, sorry, you were right all along.
Come on man, if you're pro rollback, and want to substantiate significant changes to the game at least give me something to take on board to validate your position.

What are the technological advances that the game needs protecting from?
You rollback guys are about to get what you wanted it seems, so tell me what the benefits are going to be to the game of golf across the spectrum.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Come on man, if you're pro rollback, and want to substantiate significant changes to the game at least give me something to take on board to validate your position.

What are the technological advances that the game needs protecting from?
The question isnt really relevant. There is no need to define them. They are even most likely to be technological techniques that dont even exist yet. The point is to protect the game from all and any technological developments for eternity that would have a like for like strike send the ball further.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's very rare that I'd agree with Brandel, but I doff my cap to him here...

View attachment 50782

He says that “the governing bodies want to penalise 50 million golfers” but that’s absolutely not true is it. The governing bodies only want to rollback the ball for Tour Pro and very elite players only (plainly not 50mill)
It’s the refusal & pushback from certain quarters to entertain the rollback option the governing bodies want that means they will now take a different approach i.e one they don't want

Wonder why would he'd say such a thing?

edit; BTW I’ve no idea whether I’m pro or anti rollback yet, there’s simply isn’t enough info on its impact to my game to let me climb on a soapbox one way or the other (I don't even know if the ball/s I typically use will change or be impacted in the slightest)

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
Question for anyone...
Has it actually been decided yet by what mechanism the distance of balls will be limited?
I can't see how anyone can really support or oppose the change until we know.

Jason.H

Visit site
And how would clubs enforce any changes for a club comp? I don’t see any checks being done? I mean has anyone outside of pro golf ever had clubs checked for legality.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And how would clubs enforce any changes for a club comp? I don’t see any checks being done? I mean has anyone outside of pro golf ever had clubs checked for legality.
It would come down to integrity....
Golf is, largely, self-policing and we are trusted to do the right thing and not cheat.....
But then were not trusted to mark a solo card so who knows....

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

If the ball remains the same size, and is dimpled, it'll be very easy to re-finish a non conforming to make it look legal won't it?

The further we look into this, the more challenging it becomes to implement.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Never saw anyone having their driver checked for club comps when the COR restriction came in.