Roll Back Discussion

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thats great news, and hopefully is indeed a roll back for all. Bifurcation was bad. I am surprised they floated the idea at all. The backlash was predictable. Presumably they feared law suits from the manufacturers, but as he states, they must think of the overall good of the game into the future. Unfortunately I think it will be just a clamp of where we are, to prevent further length, rather than a real reduction of 10 or 15% distance which is what the game would truly benefit from. But thats probably a bridge too far, and they missed their chance on that one 25 years ago.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats great news, and hopefully is indeed a roll back for all. Bifurcation was bad. I am surprised they floated the idea at all. The backlash was predictable. Presumably they feared law suits from the manufacturers, but as he states, they must think of the overall good of the game into the future. Unfortunately I think it will be just a clamp of where we are, to prevent further length, rather than a real reduction of 10 or 15% distance which is what the game would truly benefit from. But thats probably a bridge too far, and they missed their chance on that one 25 years ago.

agree, though I thought they would start bifurcation and then it would just become ‘the ball’ for all and manufacturers would almost make the call.

looking forward to hearing the plans, and then doubly can’t wait for everyone to complain about it 😂

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
They don't give a monkeys about the long term future of the game if they roll back - it's grown massively on the back of groundbreaking technology, and game improvement that the manufacturers have brought in.

Thankfully the manufacturers have more intelligence than the people running the game and I'm pretty sure they'll soon work round any rule changes that are enforced.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Taking a few yards off my drive is going to make diddle of a difference to me.

Of course it will, just like adding a few yards would make a difference. They might be barely noticeable marginal gains or losses, but they will have an effect. What if it means hitting a 6 iron into a green rather than a 7, a 5 wood rather than a 4 hybrid...

I know my accuracy would be hugely affected just by those two changes.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Time to play better then.

Amateurs are massively overthinking how much a roll back will affect them, yet the majority couldn't hit the centre of the face repeatedly anyway, which will have a much more detrimental effect to distance

AAC

Visit site

Amateurs are massively overthinking how much a roll back will affect them, yet the majority couldn't hit the centre of the face repeatedly anyway, which will have a much more detrimental effect to distance
Exactly this, my driver can go 150-250 yds in any direction !! BTW if we roll back 25 years will I go back to being as good as I was then ? ;)

wjemather

Visit site
There are a lot of people believing the lies and half-truths peddled by those in and around the equipment supply chain.

There are very few players who will even notice a difference, and they are all good enough to quickly adjust.

Also, a brand new rollback ball will perform much better than anything most amateurs play with - which is whatever dirty & scuffed topflite/pinnacle/slazenger/donnay/dunlop/etc. falls out of their bag first, having been rescued after months/years in a hedge/pond.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Assuming the RollBack is on...I wonder how long we're going to get tomuse up the balls currently in circulation.?...

I doubt they’ve even considered that little problem.
What happens if Bert Micklethwaite loses all his conforming balls in the weekly midweek swindle and has to use a Pro V1 to finish his round, and wins the cash pot of £16.50.

Will that be acceptable or will he be fined, or banned, or god forbid have a thread started about him on here. 😂

It’s a load of nonsense from the governing bodies. They’re not interested in protecting courses, they’re just trying to justify their jobs by implementing unnecessary changes.

Last edited:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I think this would be an awful idea - more so for the amateurs. I know it's already been discussed in here but the pros will make up any losses in other ways, club delivery, fitness, etc. But your average club golfer isn't going to know how or want to do that.

I class myself as a decent driver of the ball, you take 5-15 yards away from me (which I can do myself with mishits anyway) and we're then talking about being 10-30 yards back from where I am now. No thanks.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

If the answer is to play better to negate the effects of rollback, then what’s the point in it?
In ten years time, I guarantee any regression the authorities impose now, will have been wiped out.

Swango1980

Visit site
Still think it is utter pointless.

At no point have I heard that fans are not bothering watching the game because players hit it too far. At no point have I heard people are no longer coming to play the game because the ball goes too far. At no point have I heard of local golf courses closing down because players hit the ball too far. The only time it seems to be an issue is when the elite professionals go to famous golf courses, and some people get in a sulk because players play the course differently than their favourites of the past like Hogan and Nicklaus. It is like nostalgia makes them upset that modern players can hit it further. They make the excuse that golf courses are having to spend money to make them longer. Wow, big deal? The amount of money in golf now is incredible compared to the money in the game when Hogan played. I'm sure many of these world famous courses, under 1% of courses, can probably spend a bit of money if they think they need to modify their course in any way the see fit.

And rolling back the ball is not going to mean that 99% of local courses can just sell up some land, because they can play shorter.

I've said before, for many fans it is the big hitting players that generate the most excitement. Mclroy is not one of the most popular players in the world because he won 4 Majors years ago. It is because he smashes the ball miles. Bryson isn't popular because of his upright swing and the fact all his clubs are the same length. It is because he could clear a massive penalty area and get his ball next to a par 5 green.

I think they are trying to fix what is not broken. I don't see why they don't just set the limits of equipment so that it cannot improve much beyond where we are now? And in all honesty, how much more improvement can technology give us, unless they start using rubber golf balls? If equipment manufacturers are restricted to using the materials they currently use now, including dimensions of driver head, I'm not sure what there is to worry about. Unless we think the human body can reach even more extremes of strength, fitness and flexibility to go even further than the elite golfers of today can reach?