Roll Back Discussion

wjemather

Visit site
Assuming the RollBack is on...I wonder how long we're going to get tomuse up the balls currently in circulation.?...
As with all changes to equipment rules, it's likely that the elite game will change asap, and the rest of us will have many years before having to switch. Although given we're talking golf balls rather than clubs, the time period could be much shorter than seen in the past, e.g. with drivers, grooves, etc.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As with all changes to equipment rules, it's likely that the elite game will change asap, and the rest of us will have many years before having to switch. Although given we're talking golf balls rather than clubs, the time period could be much shorter than seen in the past, e.g. with drivers, grooves, etc.

I dunno, I'd have thought much longer time frame with balls given the sheer number in the known and unknown (temporarily lost on courses) circulation V's the number of a newly non conforming club

D-S

Visit site
Given the ‘distance is all‘ stats zealots on the other thread, if we all lose quite a few yards then we’ll need to up the handicap limit to 72 and 1 handicappers will be making it into the British Amateur.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given the ‘distance is all‘ stats zealots on the other thread, if we all lose quite a few yards then we’ll need to up the handicap limit to 72 and 1 handicappers will be making it into the British Amateur.

if anything, a roll back will further enhance the advantage that long hitters have, making it even more obvious that distance is where the gains are and were

Mandofred

Visit site
Of course it will, just like adding a few yards would make a difference. They might be barely noticeable marginal gains or losses, but they will have an effect. What if it means hitting a 6 iron into a green rather than a 7, a 5 wood rather than a 4 hybrid...

I know my accuracy would be hugely affected just by those two changes.
You missed my point. Yes....my drives will be a little shorter, but everybody else's drives will be a little shorter. If I hit a 6 iron (ha, like I even carry a 6 iron) into the green instead of a 7....ok. So will everybody else. It effects everybody, not just me.

D-S

Visit site
if anything, a roll back will further enhance the advantage that long hitters have, making it even more obvious that distance is where the gains are and were
Yes but their handicaps are going to soar, hence the 18 shot increase at high handicapper end and just 4 or 5 at the other end.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is there going to be an easy way to identify which ball is a new conforming one I wonder?
Yes. If you see someone using a Pinnacle or Top Flight, it'll be illegal, as clearly the player found it in a bush and it has been there for some time.

Although before these balls become illegal, old Pinnacles and Top Flights may be the most desirable balls to use. Finding one in a bush would become similar to finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, as these balls will perform better than the new modern garbage.

D-S

Visit site
why do you think handicaps will soar?
If increasing distance is the biggest single factor in determining handicaps and the by far the best (some seem to state only) way to reduce one’s handicap - as we are repeatedly being told -, then decreasing the distance will by definition have the opposite effect.
If I look at the chart in the other thread dropping the average drive in 2018 of a 6-12 handicapper by 22 yards will put him in the realms of a 21+ handicapper. Unless he (I assume these are male stats) can do something else that will differentiate himself, which we are told is not important, then he will become a 21+ handicap - a well over 10 shot increase.

Swango1980

Visit site
Presumably courses will have to be remeasured for handicap, getting different course / bogey ratings? After all, if these are based on the average distances scratch and bogey golfers hit the ball, these parameters will change.

D-S

Visit site
Presumably courses will have to be remeasured for handicap, getting different course / bogey ratings? After all, if these are based on the average distances scratch and bogey golfers hit the ball, these parameters will change.
Perhaps it would just move the handicaps at the very top end closer to a proper zero. Having four +7 players and a plethora of +6s playing at an EG Junior comp, albeit the Carris Trophy, at my club a couple of years ago seemed strange.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
f I look at the chart in the other thread dropping the average drive in 2018 of a 6-12 handicapper by 22 yards will put him in the realms of a 21+ handicapper.
Why do you think someone would drop 22 yards? Are you holding on to the 10% rule? If that was ever mentioned, it was 10% at the top end/quickest swings. 99% of Amateurs get nowhere near that....the drop off won't anywhere near as significant.

D-S

Visit site
Why do you think someone would drop 22 yards? Are you holding on to the 10% rule? If that was ever mentioned, it was 10% at the top end/quickest swings. 99% of Amateurs get nowhere near that....the drop off won't anywhere near as significant.
Ok how about 15 yards and a 7 shot increase?

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm a bit confused as to what people are saying will be the impact???

On one hand, it is being said it will only really reduce the distance of the very big hitters, but basically won't impact the rest of us hackers (or at least players with lower club head speed) in any real way.

On the other hand, some are saying that the change will give a bigger advantage for the longer hitters over the shorter hitters.

Which is it? If it is the first, then I think the change is unfair on players who have the ability to hit the ball a long way. Why on earth should this attribute be punished? Perhaps we should also make all the greens bobbly as well, hollow tine them permanently and thus try and reduce the advantage great putters have?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a bit confused as to what people are saying will be the impact???

On one hand, it is being said it will only really reduce the distance of the very big hitters, but basically won't impact the rest of us hackers (or at least players with lower club head speed) in any real way.

On the other hand, some are saying that the change will give a bigger advantage for the longer hitters over the shorter hitters.

Which is it? If it is the first, then I think the change is unfair on players who have the ability to hit the ball a long way. Why on earth should this attribute be punished? Perhaps we should also make all the greens bobbly as well, hollow tine them permanently and thus try and reduce the advantage great putters have?
both can be true.

Larger separation will occur on tours between the shorter and longer hitters; mainly on approach play.

For us hackers, the changes will be minimal. The separation will be there, but not quite to the same level.

wjemather

Visit site
If increasing distance is the biggest single factor in determining handicaps and the by far the best (some seem to state only) way to reduce one’s handicap - as we are repeatedly being told -, then decreasing the distance will by definition have the opposite effect.
If I look at the chart in the other thread dropping the average drive in 2018 of a 6-12 handicapper by 22 yards will put him in the realms of a 21+ handicapper. Unless he (I assume these are male stats) can do something else that will differentiate himself, which we are told is not important, then he will become a 21+ handicap - a well over 10 shot increase.
This reasoning is a logical fallacy. It's the players' ability that drives their distance averages - clubhead speed, swing path, etc. - not their distance that drives their ability.
Following rollback, the distances on the chart will change, not the handicaps (not significantly, anyway).

No. Ratings are based on the distances the model scratch and bogey golfers hit the ball, not real-world averages.
Rollback will bring the two closer together again, after years of having a technology-driven difference between them.