Rocco Mediate's Stance / Bad Backs

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whilst watching the US Open one of the commentators mentioned when Mediate takes his stance he has his right foot positioned slightly behind his left and this helps him achieve a fuller turn because of his back problems.

From the TV pictures it wasn't clear how far back his right foot was, I presume no more than a couple of inches.

As a bad back sufferer I am keen on trying this when I am next at the range.

I've had a look on line for info but not found anything, anyone know anything about the right foot being back in the stance.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right foot back improves turn Left foot back helps the follow through, supposedly, I’ve tried it a few times it does work but nothing to get excited about.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
My old coaching pro had me standing with me left foot approx 4-6" further back then my left to cure a slice.

He said it would promote a flatter swing plane and also a fuller upper body turn.

It worked!

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
does this not have the potential to go the other way as well though and promote a slice if you're not careful, as the shoulders will be more open relative to the feet?

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My old coaching pro had me standing with me left foot approx 4-6" further back then my left to cure a slice.

He said it would promote a flatter swing plane and also a fuller upper body turn.

It worked!
Presume you never got picked for the football team with two left feet Keef...

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com

It worked!
Presume you never got picked for the football team with two left feet Keef...

duhhhhhhhhhh!

I obviously meant my right foot further back than my left. :D

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
does this not have the potential to go the other way as well though and promote a slice if you're not careful, as the shoulders will be more open relative to the feet?

Shouldn't do.

If your shoulders are open in relation to your feet, but not to the line of the shot, then as long as the clubhead isn't open you should naturally just play straight along the line of the shoulders to the flag.

If you swing along the line of your feet, with the clubhead square, you should, in theory hit a draw, starting out right of target, then drawing back onto line.