Returning to golf after 20 years away - clubs?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally would def go second hand.

Best bet is to look on Gumtree for someone selling a full set. Use that as a starting point and if you get the bug again, you can upgrade from that base as and when.

Edit - not to be too morbid. But you often get someone who has died and their family are selling a decent set of golf clubs, without really appreciating the value or how much it would cost to piece together.
I checked , there is a few sets for sale on Gumtree in the Surrey area (y)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm Surrey/Hants borders area (used to play Puttenham GC as a junior guest back in the day, and Hoebridge) - anywhere close to you?

I’m in Oxford so maybe a bit too far for you to travel?

If you are interested I have

Titleist 909d. Driver
Wilson staff fybrid 3 woo
Taylormade r7 19 hybrid
Set of md golf irons
Odyssey 2ball srt putter, strokesaver jumbo grip
RAM stand bag

All in good enough condition for somebody taking up the game, some bits better than others.
To be honest I’d say £100 is a fairer price for them and I could do with getting them out of my loft 😂

No worries if it’s a bit too far though mate.

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
OK, that's interesting! There's an identical set on eBay <cough> being sold by a club pro for a bit more than that, and he lists the RRP at £599, so maybe they're not as bad as I thought!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is all brilliant advice, thanks!

So, given the same price point, what makes these used, older Callaway clubs:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/golf-club...ssey-putter-and-john-watson-wedges/1355838897

Better than this brand new set of Lynx clubs:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/981061982233394/

Or at the level I'm likely to return at, will I notice a difference?

Yeah those Callaways are very old. I believe the X14's were released in 2000. They are also graphite shafts which may take a bit of getting used to and I believe the older graphite shafts were not as good as the newer ones we have today, but i may be wrong.

The lynx set is a perfect starter set but I do believe if you shopped around you could build your own set for a good price and you are more likely to keep it longer and be able to sell it on for a similar price point.

But as I said before £200 for a full set isnt going to go very far when you need every club. I personally would be spending the majority on the main clubs you need - Irons, putter and a longer club as well as a bag (obviously)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry all, I know I'm being a pain...!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/480179892804930/

How do these stack up? There's so many brands I've never heard of, and most of the well known brands have so many ranges it's really difficult to find reviews of the lower-end stuff that's over a year old.

They look ideal to be fair, I’d say better than the lot I offered you.

I found md golf gear to be good quality, similar to benross price wise and quality wise.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry all, I know I'm being a pain...!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/480179892804930/

How do these stack up? There's so many brands I've never heard of, and most of the well known brands have so many ranges it's really difficult to find reviews of the lower-end stuff that's over a year old.
Ideally if you could try out a few makes before deciding what to buy, most pro shops, driving ranges and American golf type outlets usually have a selection you can try out for the price of a bucket of balls. Then you'll know what you feel comfortable with and can search on line for them. Don't just rush in and buy just because they're cheap and look good, they might not suit you. (y)

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Thanks - is it not a bit disingenuous to spend time at AG or similar trying out loads of clubs that I've no intention of buying? People do this in the bike world and it's really frowned upon.

Have messaged the seller of the MD clubs but he's a 2hr round trip away and I don't know when I'd get the time. In lieu of that, I've kept searching and found a full set of Benross VX6 and VeloCT on the dreaded eBay for what looks like a decent price (if they don't get bid up!), with postage, and the auction is in aid of a hospice too, so I might give those a punt and see!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks - is it not a bit disingenuous to spend time at AG or similar trying out loads of clubs that I've no intention of buying? People do this in the bike world and it's really frowned upon.
Nah, we've all done it. Golf shops that are worried about that sort of thing usually charge for the fitting and take cost off any final purchase. AG does free fittings though, so they're obviously not concerned about people abusing that. The must get enough people making a purchase to keep it worthwhile to them.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Mate I'm near Woking, about to take down and move the garden shed, there's probably close to a full set of clubs in there that the wife will be most pleased if I can move them on rather than fill up the new shed with the same old junk 🤣

If it ever stops raining I'll take stock and post up what I've got with a price.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Callaway XR Driver
Adams Blue 4 Hybrid
Cleveland Tour Action 7 Irons 2011 model 4-SW Gunmetal
Odyssey 2 ball
Nike stand bag

£100 all in

Driver has a pretty stiff shaft in it, close to XS. You could easily swap it out though

Irons probably used about 20 times. Bought them new in 2013 as I was starting out but then won a set on here within 6 months. Almost black finish.

Putter has no headcover

Bag has a few dodgy zips

Just shout if you want them and we can sort a time for you to come pick them up

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Damn, I should have waited, sorry! I'm cursed with indecision over stuff like and suffer paralysis through analysis and never end up making a choice, so when a set popped up local-ish I just went and got them:

John Letters T8+ iron/hybrid set
Graphite shafted 3H and 4H, basically unused
5-SW, steel shaft, hardly used

John Letters TP Series 56° wedge
John Letters Silver Swan Elegance putter (looks unused)
Brand new Letters Golf Torrance stand bag w/tags

All for £50..!