Retirement

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think I will probably need a FA when I finish paying into my pension in 2 years time.

Suggest you talk to the Government "Pension Wise " folk now. It's not financial "advice" but they will help you understand the landscape better.( If you don't already)

I would also see an FA now, not in two years.

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Thanks PhiltheFragger & Rudebhoy for your replies. I’m self employed so private pension which I’ve had for 36 yrs . Don’t think it’s anything to compare with some of members pensions on this thread but it’s something . Think my forecast £180k with the Pru. I think I will probably need a FA when I finish paying into my pension in 2 years time.
Ok so in 2 years you will be 61, so 6 years short of state pension age. (Currently £11500 pa but will be around £12500 when you hit 67)

Basically with your prudential pension you have 4 choices. Not in any order

1 Drawdown, this is where you withdraw sums from your pension at your own discretion. Your funds remain invested and you would aim to withdraw 5% pa (£7200) this should keep the capital amount around the same figure.
The dangers here are you take too much out or your investments don’t perform or you live miles past 84 (expected life span). You could run out of money.
But if you manage it properly any balance remaining can be passed on as an inheritance.

2. Buy an annuity. This is basically an insurance policy. That pays out a fixed amount each month / year. Until you die
As interest rates have recently increased these are much more attractive than they were.
A basic online annuity calculator gives you an annual payout of around £8000

The obvious issues here are that the amount you get is fixed. And normally when you die there is nothing left. So if you die after 2 years, tough, nothing to pass on

But if you live to 110, you are still covered.

You can get options for index linking and preserving an amount for inheritance, but these reduce the payments

3 is a mix of drawdown and annuity
Gives a bit of flexibility,

4. Defer taking pension until a later date, depends on your personal circumstances.

£180k sounds like a lot, but it equates to around 600-750 per month in terms of pension payouts

All income is taxable, and you have the option to take up to 25% of your pot as a tax free lump sum (£45000)

This will reduce the amounts available under drawdown and annuity.

It’s complicated, so take advice
Personally I’d be throwing as much spare cash into the pension pot as possible.

The financial advisor will look at your whole financial situation, including any spouse income, savings, possible future inheritance etc

None of the above constitutes advice,

👍

Skytot

Visit site
Ok so in 2 years you will be 61, so 6 years short of state pension age. (Currently £11500 pa but will be around £12500 when you hit 67)

1 Drawdown, this is where you withdraw sums from your pension at your own discretion. Your funds remain invested and you would aim to withdraw 5% pa (£7200) this should keep the capital amount around the same figure.
The dangers here are you take too much out or your investments don’t perform or you live miles past 84 (expected life span). You could run out of money.
But if you manage it properly any balance remaining can be passed on as an inheritance.

2. Buy an annuity. This is basically an insurance policy. That pays out a fixed amount each month / year. Until you die
As interest rates have recently increased these are much more attractive than they were.

The obvious issues here are that the amount you get is fixed. And normally when you die there is nothing left. So if you die after 2 years, tough, nothing to pass on

You can get options for index linking and preserving an amount for inheritance, but these reduce the payments

3 is a mix of drawdown and annuity
Gives a bit of flexibility,

4. Defer taking pension until a later date, depends on your personal circumstances.

£180k sounds like a lot, but it equates to around 600-750 per month in terms of pension payouts

All income is taxable, and you have the option to take up to 25% of your pot as a tax free lump sum (£45000)

This will reduce the amounts available under drawdown and annuity.

It’s complicated, so take advice
Personally I’d be throwing as much spare cash into the pension pot as possible.

The financial advisor will look at your whole financial situation, including any spouse income, savings, possible future inheritance etc

None of the above constitutes advice,

👍
Thanks Phil, thats great and lots to ponder .Think the best I can hope for is going part time . My mum & dad are still alive , they will be 91&93 this year so I’ve got good genes but bad joints which might impact my decisions . Great thread this , some great advice

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Phil, thanks great and lots to ponder .
Are you Limited?
I changed my Pru private pension, to one of their new Flexible draw down pension.I also took the 25% tax free lump last year. I can still put into my pension, but can also take 25% of all new monies paid into it out tax free as well.
I have my ltd company pay into my pension, which also helps offset corporation tax, up to £60k a year before implications.

Skytot

Visit site
Are you Limited?
I changed my Pru private pension, to one of their new Flexible draw down pension.I also took the 25% tax free lump last year. I can still put into my pension, but can also take 25% of all new monies paid into it out tax free as well.
I have my ltd company pay into my pension, which also helps offset corporation tax, up to £60k a year before implications.
No I’m not Ltd .

Skytot

Visit site
Ok, but apart from the Corporation tax benefits, you can still put into your pension yourself like it. Do you have a FA through the Pru?
No , I don’t have a FA at the Pru but I’m sure if I enquired they will be able to supply one . I get tax relief on my monthly payments, but I think everyone does.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

👍
Having worked for the PRU for years I am assuming something has changed since I left

I have never seen option 1 but see from Skytot it can be transferred to such

Your Option 2 is incorrect When I worked for them and I assume nothing has changed there are/were 8 options if you take the annuity route including an escalating pension and leaving an annuity for dependents on your death.

Another option is to transfer the fund to another company which may offer draw down.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having worked for the PRU for years I am assuming something has changed since I left

Your Option 2 is incorrect When I worked for them and I assume nothing has changed there are/were 8 options if you take the annuity route including an escalating pension and leaving an annuity for dependents on your death.

Another option is to transfer the fund to another company which may offer draw down.

Is option 1 to do with the law change that you can access your pension and do what you want with it

For example I'm putting avcs away now as the entire pension gets lumped as one so I can take 25% tax free of the total and then leave my actual pension untouched to take

Mines managed by legal and general now tho I believe the avc side

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Pru is now under M&G Wealth. They do a flexible drawdown product now, as my private pension I took out in about 1986 has now been transferred over to one. The Pru has changed massively now though.

Red devil

Visit site
Is option 1 to do with the law change that you can access your pension and do what you want with it

For example I'm putting avcs away now as the entire pension gets lumped as one so I can take 25% tax free of the total and then leave my actual pension untouched to take

Mines managed by legal and general now tho I believe the avc side
Are you in RPS, like myself?

Red devil

Visit site
62yr old here. Luckily to be or was in a final salary pension scheme. I to took my lump sum and pension in December. Was going to hold on but the bloke who's on the pension committee said take it and better to have the money now than hang on. Thought about it and he was right, so cashed in.
For the moment I'm carrying on working a, because I enjoy the job and as its four day week, long weekend off (Fri-Tue) every 3rd week, so I can handle it at the moment.
We do a job share at ours which I may look at or one day I might get up and think "do know what? I've had enough " and put my notice in
PS. Rejoined the industry Defined Contribution scheme as opposed to the Defined Benefit scheme I was in previously. It keeps the tax I pay down and work pay 4% towards it so a good savings account really.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

I was being very generic in describing what an annuity is.
I did also say that there were options to index link and to preserve an amount for inheritance.

The options available are changing all the time, which is why independent financial advice is a must 👍

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I was being very generic in describing what an annuity is.
I did also say that there were options to index link and to preserve an amount for inheritance.

The options available are changing all the time, which is why independent financial advice is a must 👍

And not just in the run up to retirement. Advice afterwards is equally important, especially as you have less options and time to get the best from any pot.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My pension date was when I was 62 that's why I took it. They won't have you taking it early and carrying on working

I know we have a lot of talk of retirees coming back on short term contracts to fill the gaps in service control until we can train some staff up. they just keep failing. nobody can make the cut