Restricted Handicaps in club major trophies

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Why not. If we are opening the door to different rules for different handicap ranges, in the same competition, why not ?
One is a rule of golf, you're permitted 14 clubs.

The other is competition rules, the guidance from CONGU is that you CAN restrict handicap limits for comps, and it's always been done, so to now say we shouldn't when overall handicap allowances have just doubled is ridiculous.

Swango1980

Visit site
It strikes me that if a club perceives that it has a problem as very high scores are wining their competitions and these scores are coming in exclusively from high handicaps then restricting the handicap allowance is a reasonable step for that club.
Indeed. A club should really be doing what it can for the benefit of its members (in general), within any guidelines.

If a club had many members who were complaining about high handicappers often winning with unbeatable scores for lower handicappers, then it makes sense the club implements some restrictions to appease these golfers, whilst not alienating higher handicappers.

If a club is full of very high handicappers (maybe a course seen as one that attracts beginners), perhaps they will implement less, or no restrictions.

And if a club has a mix of both types of golfers, and enough of them, then they can split competitions into Divisions, or have completely separate comps, for low and high handicappers

wjemather

Visit site
Indeed. A club should really be doing what it can for the benefit of its members (in general), within any guidelines.

If a club had many members who were complaining about high handicappers often winning with unbeatable scores for lower handicappers, then it makes sense the club implements some restrictions to appease these golfers, whilst not alienating higher handicappers.

If a club is full of very high handicappers (maybe a course seen as one that attracts beginners), perhaps they will implement less, or no restrictions.

And if a club has a mix of both types of golfers, and enough of them, then they can split competitions into Divisions, or have completely separate comps, for low and high handicappers
Educating the whingers should be the first course of action.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It strikes me that if a club perceives that it has a problem as very high scores are wining their competitions and these scores are coming in exclusively from high handicaps then restricting the handicap allowance is a reasonable step for that club.
Perhaps a club that has that problem, as their first action they should look to see why.

Swango1980

Visit site
Educating the whingers should be the first course of action.
Of course. However, referring to a group of members as "whingers" is not a good start. Sometimes, there may actually be a legitimate reason for the "whinging", and referring it as whinging could easily imply you do not take them seriously, and there are no issues for them to be concerned about.

Swango1980

Visit site
Perhaps a club that has that problem, as their first action they should look to see why.
Of course, at no point did Backache go into detail the steps the club would take before they took such action. In his example, it would be clear that they have at least been diligent enough to spot a pattern that may cause concern. I'm sure they'd look at the players that were making these high scores, and if it was apparent it was by players who were somehow conning the system, they would act on an individual basis. They may identify that many of these scores are made by high handicappers new to golf, and therefore there were limited scores before the comps, and poor ones, thus the high handicap.

Your post seems to suggest a club would restrict handicap allowances with no thought whatsoever. Given many clubs do have handicap restrictions, that would be a harsh assessment on the volunteers that run those clubs

wjemather

Visit site
Of course. However, referring to a group of members as "whingers" is not a good start. Sometimes, there may actually be a legitimate reason for the "whinging", and referring it as whinging could easily imply you do not take them seriously, and there are no issues for them to be concerned about.
What we're seeing here is whinging lower handicappers demanding/advocating discriminatory terms of competition because think they should be winning handicap competitions disproportionately often compared to higher handicappers (perhaps because that's what they were used to under UHS). That is remedied by education, not appeasing them by excluding the higher handicappers. Legitimate concerns about specific individual handicaps are dealt with in other ways.

Swango1980

Visit site
What we're seeing here is whinging lower handicappers demanding/advocating discriminatory terms of competition because think they should be winning handicap competitions disproportionately often compared to higher handicappers (perhaps because that's what they were used to under UHS). That is remedied by education, not appeasing them by excluding the higher handicappers. Legitimate concerns about specific individual handicaps are dealt with in other ways.
What we appear to have is a large number of golfers who have concerns about the system. It is clearly not a good thing that WHS might alienate a significant number of golfers, unless they think an even greater number of high handicappers will play the game, and increase the number of golfers overall.

If anyone has any concerns about WHS I suspect you call it whinging. I've no doubt there are some golfers who do complain unnecessarily, or moan about non-existent issues or ask for over extreme solutions. We all know low handicappers complained under UHS as well. So, there is always going to be "whinging", but that doesn't mean 100% of these types of concern should classed as such.

Swango1980

Visit site
That is your perception. I know personally of many golfers who complain about it, and at least one who gave up golf as he wasn't bothered anymore. There are clearly a few on this forum who have raised the issue. I am guessing that if you extend the numbers to all golf clubs in the UK, the numbers of golfers that are concerned might be pretty high. A lot higher than pre-WHS anyway.

It is OK if you want to ignore them though, that is your prerogative

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am guessing that if you extend the numbers to all golf clubs in the UK, the numbers of golfers that are concerned might be pretty high. A lot higher than pre-WHS anyway.
Certainly not at my club.

But aren't many/most forum posters there to complain about something. I often think that what I was told about golfer before I started playing was why many join golf clubs - hit a ball around a field, buy a pint and find something to complain about. ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
Certainly not at my club.

But aren't many/most forum posters there to complain about something. I often think that what I was told about golfer before I started playing was why many join golf clubs - hit a ball around a field, buy a pint and find something to complain about. ;)
When people complain about something, they are often criticised that just because something happens at their club, does not make it true overall.

Does this piece of advice only work one way ;)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Swinley Forest had it right. No course rating and no handicaps.

They also check that you know which wine goes with which dish too, or you're out!:ROFLMAO::p

Our club championship is a scratch medal in which the top 15 , plus defending champ qualify for a scratch matchplay to decide the champion.

It's about identifying the best player in the club. Clue is in the title.

Everyone can enter the medal comp, there is also a net prize as well as gross on the day too.

Last edited: