Restricted Handicaps in club major trophies

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have just had our over 65 club championship, but the committee decided to restrict handicaps to 28 ,some seniors are 40 plus ,can anyone explain the reasoning and logic to this please, does this sort of thing happen at your club? If so why?
I am still awaiting a response from our committee thanks

sunshine

Visit site
Yes this seems to happen in all our main comps. Usually a CH limit of 20. Couldn't tell you about seniors comps.

See "WHS doesn't work" thread for the rationale.

Reactions: AAC

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Handicap restrictions on comps (and Opens) is pretty usual.

There was time when it was 24 where I play but then again you had to have a handicap of 24 to play the 18 hole course anyway (we have 9 hole course as well).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still get amused as to why committees chose 28 as it has no real logic behind it these days.

When it was discussed for one comp at our club I tried to get the comps committee to go for 24 because the stroke index 7 is a relatively easy par 3.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A handicap limit of 20 was introduced in our singles knockout this year, after one player had to give 56 shots over the course of a 36 hole final. :eek:

AAC

Visit site
A handicap limit of 20 was introduced in our singles knockout this year, after one player had to give 56 shots over the course of a 36 hole final. :eek:

Our club champion was also in the final of the h/c singles, he had to give 44 shots and managed to win 2 up.

I am hoping that we re-introduce a max h/c for the main comps next year, I would advocate 18 but I suspect at best it will be 20.

D

Deleted member 23344

I seem to recall that my club was told by England Golf just after WHS came in that it could not apply a handicap limit for entry to a club competition, but that it could stipulate that it could only be won by someone below a certain handicap. In other words, all should be eligible to enter, but those above a certain handicap could not win it. However, my memory might be playing tricks on me.

wjemather

Visit site
I seem to recall that my club was told by England Golf just after WHS came in that it could not apply a handicap limit for entry to a club competition, but that it could stipulate that it could only be won by someone below a certain handicap. In other words, all should be eligible to enter, but those above a certain handicap could not win it. However, my memory might be playing tricks on me.
The "Defining Handicap Limits in Competitions" recommendations from EG/CONGU contain 3 options, summarised as:
  1. No limits (divisions recommended)
  2. Entry limits (acceptable, but not recommended, that higher may enter but play off the limit)
  3. Specified limits (i.e. no limit for entry but a limit for the main prize and players split into handicap divisions for other prizes - so everyone is eligible to win something)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Its bad form. Probably coming from a poor understanding of handicaps.

Rather than hc limits, what matters is handicap correctness. To eliminate the incorrect handicaps, I would be much more in favour of setting a bar for cards in a given period, and no new or less than 20 cards hcs. If someone has a hc for more than a year, has 20 cards, and has 10 in the last 6 months or better, even if off 40 they should be eligible for any prizes. Or some such.
But a handicap limit is against the spirit of handicap golf. What are they trying to prevent with the restriction?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are they trying to prevent with the restriction?[/QUOTE]

A club champion off 56 maybe.
I actually agree but we need the correct handicaps first though.
WHS has created a raft of bandits.

Bobthesock

Visit site
All competitions should be maximum 18 playing handicap imo. If you play golf enough to justify joining a club you should be able to bogey every hole. If you are not then you are not good enough to say you have won a comp.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What are they trying to prevent with the restriction?

A club champion off 56 maybe.
I actually agree but we need the correct handicaps first though.
WHS has created a raft of bandits.
Nothing wrong with a club champion off 56. Its probably just people stuck in backward thinking of 28 hc era, or even, the no man with two arms and two legs should have more than a shot a hole, brigade.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a club champion off 56. Its probably just people stuck in backward thinking of 28 hc era, or even, the no man with two arms and two legs should have more than a shot a hole, brigade.
Most CC is scratch but I agree if they have paid their fees they should not be excluding anyone from comps.

But that’s modern golf for you. If you have the money your in ,
There was a time where you had to play with the captain and the pro to prove you could play before you got in the club.
Now the comittiee tells you you can’t enter unless you play to 32 cap ,quite generous given other posters hc limits.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
All competitions should be maximum 18 playing handicap imo. If you play golf enough to justify joining a club you should be able to bogey every hole. If you are not then you are not good enough to say you have won a comp.
Just what is the purpose of handicaps? Please explain why 18 is different to 19.