Resigning from your club.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There's been a few mentions lately of guys leaving their clubs.

So if you are going to leave do you have to write to the club and Resign, or can you just not pay and that's the end of it?

Was speaking to a guy from my club today who had said before Christmas he was leaving and not rejoining the club again this year.

He didn't resign and just wasn't going to pay, but been told he has to resign in Writing to the club, which apparently is in the clubs constitution, so has had to pay. for this year.!!!

what the process at your club?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have no idea what the process is, but I would at least tell them I wasn't renewing rather than just stopping payments and hoping for the best.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's been a few mentions lately of guys leaving their clubs.

So if you are going to leave do you have to write to the club and Resign, or can you just not pay and that's the end of it?

Was speaking to a guy from my club today who had said before Christmas he was leaving and not rejoining the club again this year.

He didn't resign and just wasn't going to pay, but been told he has to resign in Writing to the club, which apparently is in the clubs constitution, so has had to pay. for this year.!!!

what the process at your club?

Mixed bag really, one club I notified in writing a couple of months before the next year started in April to be told there was a set deadline per the constitution and it therefore had to be referred to the committee with reasons for it. Wrote to them with reasons i.e. new baby, no time to golf, fee increases (which I think got announced after the deadline for notifying or very close) and got told it was to late to cancel. Seeing as the year hadn't started I just didn't pay subs for the year - no action taken and I play there on the odd occasion now a few years have passed.

Second club I decide to leave, I called club secretary to say I wasn't going to renew. No problems whatsoever, thanked me for membership and understood reasons were personal to me and welcomed me back anytime.

I appreciate clubs need to forecast their revenue and membership but as both were a couple of months before season I expected it to be handled in the manner of the second club as opposed to the first.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
From our constitution

"Any member of any category wishing to resign must intimate his or her resignation to the Club Manager in writing on or before 28th February, otherwise he or she shall be held liable for his or her subscription for the ensuing Subscription Year."

It's only manners to let the club know. All clubs have to run to a budget and what they can spend depends on income. To just not let the club know is bad form in my book.

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Are the club really going to sue him for a year's subs? Not worth the aggro surely. And he will say he sent a letter in and demand to know why they lost it!

I would have thought sending an email or letter of resignation is just good manners. But having not, what is the club really going to do.

It becomes more of an issue where folk resign during the year and want some cash back pro rata for the rest of the year... our regs say you get back and full months

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As Robster says. If you don't resign in writing, and then try and rejoin in the future they can ask you for money to cover the year you didn't renew your subs. I have seen it done. Also, I have heard of clubs just refusing to have someone back because they hadn't resigned in writing. For the sake of putting an email together, 5 mins, surely its easy to say goodbye...

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just checked the by laws of my current club and as I pay by direct debit, the bye laws state that if one payment is missed all playing rights are stopped until the missing payment is made, if two payments are missed in a row, you cease to be a member of the club.

There's nothing in there to suggest you need to let them know.

But courtesy dictates a polite resignation email is the bare minimum you should do.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I left my last club i had been paying the joining fee in installments, I explained I was leaving as I was leaving the area and they were happy to waive the remaining instalments ~ £500.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I sent a quick email to the club explaining that i was leaving and cancelled my direct debit, had a brief chat with the owner the next time i saw him

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I resigned this morning by email, didn't have to explain why but I thought it courteous to do so. I remain a member until 31st March. As I pay 1 year in advance I requested monies paid for following season be returned.
I have had a responce acknowledging my resignation noting I can return within 5 years without re-joining, monies will be repaid ASAP.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ve left 2 clubs. In each case I wrote polite letters explaining my decision, and thanking the club and it’s members for the good times as a part of the club.
Having re-joined one of them I’d have felt wrong had I not done it correctly when I resigned.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I resigned this morning by email, didn't have to explain why but I thought it courteous to do so. I remain a member until 31st March. As I pay 1 year in advance I requested monies paid for following season be returned.
I have had a responce acknowledging my resignation noting I can return within 5 years without re-joining, monies will be repaid ASAP.

That's a good result.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Left three clubs in the past, usually just not return in the following season.
No letter. Word of mouth usually got round for me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't remember if I resigned or not from past clubs. You pay for that year, at the end of the year the contract ends. Resigning seems a bit over the top, very golf though.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was planning to write in the next month or so, but when I checked HowDidiDo this week my profile had been disconnected from a membership and I couldn’t find my name on the database so probably not going to bother now.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

Where are you of to Kenny ? , Patrick i think it would be just common courtesy to send a wee email saying you weren't rejoining.