Resigning from your club.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd love to see a Golf Club come after a former member for unpaid fees.. All bluster and bravado.. a communication might be a courtesy but it sure aint a necessity.. FFS, the attitude of some clubs might explain why club membership is becoming less and less fashionable..

Unless you sing a credit agreement or a legally binding document clubs can whistle for it.

I have always put my letter in out of courtesy but certainly wouldn't wish ill on someone who didn't. Like all things in life manners and common courtesy appears to be a thing of the past.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless you sing a credit agreement or a legally binding document clubs can whistle for it.

I have always put my letter in out of courtesy but certainly wouldn't wish ill on someone who didn't. Like all things in life manners and common courtesy appears to be a thing of the past.

I agree. I sat in the comp office with the club president and explained my reasoning for leaving the club (new job meant no free time). He understood completely. Gave me house membership for free and has allowed me to play several times this year without paying. All this was on the understanding that I would come back if time allowed. I've now got a bit more free time so will be rejoining next month.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I brought this up with a committee member over a post round beer and apparently we send a questionnaire out to any member not renewing at subs time (now) and going elsewhere to try and find out their reasons and whether there are any patterns or issues recurring. Didn't know we did it but seems a proactive thing to be doing. I know we won't get that member(s) back but it may help prevent others going for the same reasons if the problems can be fixed

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
My old club lets you have 2 years out without paying your fee's after that your either in or out. but let's be honest it's poor form not emailing or writing a simple letter telling them you resign or would like to hold your membership etc.

We also have a rule you can pay the joing fee in 5 installements but take a year out you have to pay in full on return. (I guess the outstanding balance)

it's good to talk :) my old club emailed me asking me my intentions for 2018 which was nice. I didnt tell them I was saving a fortune on PlayMoreGolf and 35 open events around the area.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of my previous clubs, I emailed both the club chairman, and the golf pro advising that I would be tending my resignation as club captain. This effectively ended my membership at that club!

I would never think twice about a courteous email to the relevant party. Its polite!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Resigned from my club this year.

Sent an email thanking them for everything and that I wouldn't be rejoining. I was originally going to join as a social member but the bill came through and it was £260!! My membership for under 30 is only £460. So I emailed them again saying I now wouldn't be taking up a social membership. Didn't get a reply or any question as to why. I thought £260 for a social member is absolutely disgraceful price. Other clubs in the area are doing social memberships for £20.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would phone or email and let them know.

If there were reasons why and they were club related, I would let them know, I wear my heart on sleeve and think it is useful getting feedback whether positive or not. , if running a business

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Which reminds me, car insurance renewal is coming up this month.
Perhaps I should email Adrian Flux a thank you for their services as I leave for a cheaper provider?

D

Deleted member 1147

Perhaps I should email Adrian Flux a thank you for their services as I leave for a cheaper provider?

Remember that in most cases golf clubs aren’t profit making entities, they are run for the members by members.
Unlike insurance companies which are there to make profit and nothing else.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I told them when I wanted to leave, even though they normally ask you to play to end of year they let me leave early.

In many ways I wish they had made me pay to end of the year as I was in a position to continue my membership just a month or so later :(

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site

They used to be cheap but no longer, the big boys seem to want all the business again :-(

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
When I left my last place I just informed them that I wouldn’t be renewing my membership. They didn’t even ask me why. Which speaks volumes.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As above, if a member leaves, we always try to find out the reason why. No club likes to lose members and so important to find the reason for their leaving. Feedback is important if you want to try to make members happy.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I brought this up with a committee member over a post round beer and apparently we send a questionnaire out to any member not renewing at subs time (now) and going elsewhere to try and find out their reasons and whether there are any patterns or issues recurring. Didn't know we did it but seems a proactive thing to be doing. I know we won't get that member(s) back but it may help prevent others going for the same reasons if the problems can be fixed

I would argue that this is reactive rather than proactive. A proactive measure would be to contact members well before renewal and see how they were getting on and if there was anything the club could do to improve their experience the next year - thereby potentially finding those that are considering a move.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would argue that this is reactive rather than proactive. A proactive measure would be to contact members well before renewal and see how they were getting on and if there was anything the club could do to improve their experience the next year - thereby potentially finding those that are considering a move.

dont they call that an AGM?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Reactive is probably right. Contacting members though would be time consuming and expensive wouldn't it? Do other clubs do this

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reactive is probably right. Contacting members though would be time consuming and expensive wouldn't it? Do other clubs do this

If say 20 members that were leaving were contacted and 2 stayed it would be time well spent. Additionally it would make the members’ feel wanted