Resigning from your club.

Paulsearle1405

Medal Winner
Visit site
I left my old club in June. That was when my membership expired. I didn't notify the club in any way I just didn't renew for the year.

To be honest I treated it just like a phone contract or sky subscription. Golf clubs are in business they are not my buddy's. Don't get me wrong I had a laugh with people there & stI'll go back for the odd round

If I was asked about extending my membership I would have politely declined for my own reasons but I do not have to explain myself.

From a lot of posts it seems a lot of people feel they have to explain to clubs their reasons

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I left my old club in June. That was when my membership expired. I didn't notify the club in any way I just didn't renew for the year.

To be honest I treated it just like a phone contract or sky subscription. Golf clubs are in business they are not my buddy's. Don't get me wrong I had a laugh with people there & stI'll go back for the odd round

If I was asked about extending my membership I would have politely declined for my own reasons but I do not have to explain myself.

From a lot of posts it seems a lot of people feel they have to explain to clubs their reasons

Not sure I have to explain my reasons but would let them know out of courtesy

D

Deleted member 17920

whilst I understand you might not want to give a reason for leaving it certainly help the club if they knew the reasons, if you was unhappy with it, too expensive, quality if the course, it all helps feedback for the club.

we try and find out why everyone is leaving as it helps us understand what we can do to change things as Golf memberships are changing all the time.

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where are you of to Kenny ? , Patrick i think it would be just common courtesy to send a wee email saying you weren't rejoining.

Joined Mach Dunes Steve, go down every fortnight. I play a lot of away golf so was playing Glenbervie less and less each year meaning it was no longer value for money.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Joined Mach Dunes Steve, go down every fortnight. I play a lot of away golf so was playing Glenbervie less and less each year meaning it was no longer value for money.

Brave move.

Welcome on the Ayrshire links anytime Kenny. Catch you Sunday.

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Brave move.

Welcome on the Ayrshire links anytime Kenny. Catch you Sunday.

It is in a way Crawford but at £245 a year against £1000 that leaves me £755 to play opens, guest fees and paying as visitor. Will give it a year see how it pans out. I also resigned from my job starting a new one 19th Feb which will involve travelling north of the A66 and all of Scotland so I will get very little mid week golf in.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It is in a way Crawford but at £245 a year against £1000 that leaves me £755 to play opens, guest fees and paying as visitor. Will give it a year see how it pans out. I also resigned from my job starting a new one 19th Feb which will involve travelling north of the A66 and all of Scotland so I will get very little mid week golf in.

I'm sure it will all work out for you.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd love to see a Golf Club come after a former member for unpaid fees.. All bluster and bravado.. a communication might be a courtesy but it sure aint a necessity.. FFS, the attitude of some clubs might explain why club membership is becoming less and less fashionable..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Last club sent round a pack with notice of fees, a form for DD and a form to sign if you weren't renewing.
Just signed the form and handed it over at the shop.
Job done
And I tend to agree with Mr Wolf on this too.....

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Word of mouth for the one I left, didn't bother with a letter explaining; after an EGM and over 90 others walking at the same time, if they couldn't work it out themselves a letter wouldn't have helped.

Were I to leave my current club (which I have absolutely no intention of doing) I would write to explain why and to thank them for the times I've enjoyed there. I think to some degree the way the club treats you will, rightly or wrongly, affect the way you leave.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Word of mouth for the one I left, didn't bother with a letter explaining; after an EGM and over 90 others walking at the same time, if they couldn't work it out themselves a letter wouldn't have helped.

Were I to leave my current club (which I have absolutely no intention of doing) I would write to explain why and to thank them for the times I've enjoyed there. I think to some degree the way the club treats you will, rightly or wrongly, affect the way you leave.
Think the letter might be coming from the club to you.:mmm:;)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

Good move Kenny, love the Dunes played there last March and the course was in superb condition

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I told them I wasn’t going to rejoin, which seems the polite thing to do.

Rules and manners; comply with both and move on. Never know what's round the corner!

Should probably add that I said I was sorry to leave but explained my reasons for going, some of which they can't do anything about but at least it gives them some knowledge about what leavers are thinking.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
One club I requested to leave part way through the year, due to relocation, a polite email from me, and they agreed. The last club they sent out the renewal packs, again a quick email to the membership secretary to say I wasn’t rejoining, and explaining why.

I think it all depends on the club and the circumstances in which you are leaving.