Resigning from your club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Our Pro is also a coach for several age groups of Hertfordshire golf.
He's recently changed his role at the club to allow more time for this.
His new role is Membership recruitment and retention.......
Not sure exactly what that entails but with renewals coming up it will be interesting to see...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
found a bit more out the other day, seems he wasn't telling the whole truth.

On monthly payments though fairway credit, had been sent a letter saying his membership would renew the 1st Jan unless he contacted and Cancelled. So in reality nothing to do with the club.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Joined Mach Dunes Steve, go down every fortnight. I play a lot of away golf so was playing Glenbervie less and less each year meaning it was no longer value for money.

Must be the time for big changes Kenny, job and golf. Just give me a shout when you want to play Gailes again. ps don't have your most up to date mobi no.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I resigned a couple of years ago from my last club and put in a proper typed letter, got a really nice letter back from the secretary wishing me all the best and thanking me for my help and support on a couple of projects.
Only manners to let them know formally in my opinion.

stirry

Medal Winner
Visit site
I left my club this year and I just notified them by email, no problem at all.

Like previous post have said is just good manners, however I would always notify any membership I hold for sporting activity to let them know I was leaving and why.

nairn1967

Medal Winner
Visit site
There's been a few mentions lately of guys leaving their clubs.

So if you are going to leave do you have to write to the club and Resign, or can you just not pay and that's the end of it?

Was speaking to a guy from my club today who had said before Christmas he was leaving and not rejoining the club again this year.

He didn't resign and just wasn't going to pay, but been told he has to resign in Writing to the club, which apparently is in the clubs constitution, so has had to pay. for this year.!!!

what the process at your club?

He's a known lying **** so would take it all with a pinch of salt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think resigning is maybe not the correct word, cancelling or not renewing, but hey ho, either way a letter is courtesy, but it may save you a headache as well. My current club you can pay by direct debit and that goes straight to the club, no issues, once the season starts you have agreed to pay for the year whether you play or not any legal matters from you cancelling your DD would be with the club.

However some clubs like my dads using a 3rd party debit company to recover the yearly green fees, they send the company how many members and fees, the club gets a lump sum and you're DD is with the 3rd party company not the club. A letter to let the club no you are not renewing your membership could avoid the bailiffs at the door.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Finished at my old club at the end of Jan. I'd spoken to the club secretary (who was genuinely interested in why I was moving and was sad to see me go). Sent in an email earlier on in the year to ask for my to be changed as an away player as I'd already joined my new club and that was going to be my home club from now on etc...

My club was a hotel owned course so my green fee's were to the hotel, not the club section. I'd mentioned it to some of the staff there, but never sent any letter in to them, just didn't renew my membership.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last club I left I just e-mailed and informed them I wasn't renewing and also had a chat with the manager and explained my reasons.

At Knebworth they send you an invoice and covering letter in the post before the subs are due. If you want to cancel you can sign a form and send it back otherwise it's assumed you want to continue membership and the DD with continue.

Not sure what would happen if you just cancel the DD, I tink legally as we sign a contract, they could come after you, but I'd suspect they wouldn't bother.