Renaming faithful to the flatstick...kind of...

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am a filthy putter whore… However, I am climbing the 12 steps to reformation.

Having not bought a putter since last October (tek a boo son), my putting has dramatically improved, owing to considered and patient practice, together with remaining faithful to one flat stick.

The above notwithstanding, I have tinkered in the last couple of months with a new grip and putter length. Gone is the White Hot Pro pistol grip, replaced with a SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0. In addition, my unassuming yet reliable Odyssey #5 has been cut down by 2”, now standing tall at only 32”. The changes are working thus far. The bigger grip seems to be assisting with a stable stroke, and now that I’ve become used to the girth (ooooh er), I have no loss in ‘feel’ (yuk). The shorter length lends to the feeling of being more in control of the putter and rocking the shoulders, stopping me from becoming a bit handsy.

I still look in the shop window now and again, but the Odyssey is quietly doing the business and I have come to enjoy putting, rather than the knee knocking dread I felt over 4 footers in the past.

So, to all fellow tinkerers out there, what have you done with your current putter and why?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am a filthy putter whore… However, I am climbing the 12 steps to reformation.

Having not bought a putter since last October (tek a boo son), my putting has dramatically improved, owing to considered and patient practice, together with remaining faithful to one flat stick.

The above notwithstanding, I have tinkered in the last couple of months with a new grip and putter length. Gone is the White Hot Pro pistol grip, replaced with a SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0. In addition, my unassuming yet reliable Odyssey #5 has been cut down by 2”, now standing tall at only 32”. The changes are working thus far. The bigger grip seems to be assisting with a stable stroke, and now that I’ve become used to the girth (ooooh er), I have no loss in ‘feel’ (yuk). The shorter length lends to the feeling of being more in control of the putter and rocking the shoulders, stopping me from becoming a bit handsy.

I still look in the shop window now and again, but the Odyssey is quietly doing the business and I have come to enjoy putting, rather than the knee knocking dread I felt over 4 footers in the past.

So, to all fellow tinkerers out there, what have you done with your current putter and why?

I have a Scotty studio select 2.5 which is silver, i got a black one exactly the same, not even hit a ball with it yet.. i like to have a spare;)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
6 years old, and I have done nothing apart from regrip it with a standard Odyssey gruip (well, the tropical one). It's working an absolute treat.

But then I have also recently read "Putting Out of Your Mind" and "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Dr Bob Rotella, both of which have been a great help.

Finally, thanks to Pieman and JustOne for showing me how to line up properly 3 years ago at Cooden! ;)

C

c1973

I've got myself a Scotty California Monterey and I'll be sticking with it for many years. I might regrip it if it needs it though. Putting is pretty much the best part of my game imo (which ain't anything to boast about when you look at the rest of my game) 3 putts happen but not all that often.

So with that in mind I try not to look at new shiny putters and remain faithfull to my putter. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The above notwithstanding, I have tinkered in the last couple of months with a new grip and putter length. Gone is the White Hot Pro pistol grip, replaced with a SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0. In addition, my unassuming yet reliable Odyssey #5 has been cut down by 2”, now standing tall at only 32”.

Sounds like Triggers new broom. Still if it works then go for it. I am down to three putters. An odyssey Tank #1 (34 inches) which I've not got on with after a brief flirtation after purchase. After that I've got my trust Ping Anser 2 or my odyssey #9 milled. At the moment my stroke on the short ones is the issue, pushing too many right. Need to work on that rather than look at new putters

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have an original Odyssey 2 ball. Bought it brand-new about 10 years ago. After one round I chopped it down to 32 inches and then took the head off and moved it to the right about 15 degrees as it seemed to sit in a closed position. It has also got loads of lead tape on the bottom to give it a bit of extra weight.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
arrived home to this little refurbed beauty. 35inch. feels fantastic.

$_12.JPG

I visited my parents at the weekend and did a little bit of putter jiggery pokery. I had an old jaxx mallet putter that I used to use lying around. I cut a bit of a hole in the butt, got out a soldering iron and made the hole just big enough to screw in a locking wheel bolt. the result is a fantastically counter balanced putter. I played with it on Monday and won the visitors prize at my old club. surprise surprise. lol I was brushing in 6footers with ease. I couldn't leave it in Ireland so it has joined my legion of putters in England.

I am sorely tempted to the same to my seemore putter.

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I finally 'settled' on a Yes Callie 12 over the winter.
Ditched face balanced mallets that I had used for years as my putting was TERRIBLE. If I had 36 putts I was happy. I must have went more than a year with a (read more than 'a' most of the time) 3 putt in every round! Lost count of people who would say "you'd have some score if you could putt".

So my revelation is a Yes Callie 12, chopped to ?, just feels right but never measured, probably 32 ~ 33", back weighted in the grip, hugely built up grip and a standard Multicompound that is almost parallel, sight line painted red.
First 18, 31 putts (+9). Then a further 9 and 15 putts (level par). 27 holes with no 3 putts - LOVE IT!
I like the round grip but it is very built up, the shaft is about 16mm all the way plus the grip on top of that. Biggest improvement is the back weighting I think - VERY smooth stroke and distance control.

It took me 4 trials and adaptions to the Callie to settle on this.

Last edited:

Twin Lakes

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Putting was by far the worst part of my game. Not that I've got much of one. I've had the custom built Tom Wishon for around 12 weeks and there are positive signs. I single putted 10 greens in a match at the weekend. Before that I used a ping zing then an Odyssey 2 ball belly............

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
image.jpgTried this at the Manchester golf show recently, fell for it within 4/5 putts, so ordered one from the States today, as originally there was no distributors here in uk right now, but have just heard they've got one now and will be coming to the Uk soon.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As per the OP title, it was barbie, had a period of barbarella and now its just plane Jane.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ive had an Odyssey Dual force rossie 2 for donkeys years but felt the need for a change last year. Went for the Odyssey White Hot XG9. I chopped and changed even putting a Superstroke 3 on the rossie but finally settled for the XG9. My mate saw the Rossie in the car yesterday and asked if he could try it and still has it in the bag this morning so looks like ive sold it :D

D

Deleted member 15344

I have put a Super Stroke ultra slim grip on it - certainly helps keep the wrists quiet

I do have a Ping Milled Putter at home which I have borrowed to try during the winter months ( slower greens )