Reliving my youth

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The Radio 2 Festival @ Hyde Park back in September was a great day out ... Last on was Jeff Lynne (ELO) :D

More recently (in Edinburgh) it was a great Friday night out, a few beers "Squeeze" and then some more beer, perfect :thup:

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Big Squeeze fan. Saw them with the classic Jools Holland line up play and unannounced gig in Kingston. Great night. Small, hot and sweaty venue and great music. Seen them many times since.

Last Friday in the Queens Hall which is quite a pokey wee venue but always good ... It was just Tilbrook and Difford but they were superb :thup:

Keep a look out for next years tour but you won't see Holland with them :smirk:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Went to see Roddy Frame at the Barbican yesterday.

Aside from the seating-only situation, it was a great night. Well chosen set, engaging character, all good.

Had a little tear in my eye when I thought back to the first time I saw Aztec Camera...

When I was younger, I had used to wishfully imagine how great it would be to grow up in East Kilbride:whistle: (I did live in Sussex at the time, so had no idea what might be involved).

D

Deleted member 18588

Aside from the seating-only situation, it was a great night. Well chosen set, engaging character, all good.

Had a little tear in my eye when I thought back to the first time I saw Aztec Camera...

When I was younger, I had used to wishfully imagine how great it would be to grow up in East Kilbride:whistle: (I did live in Sussex at the time, so had no idea what might be involved).

That's the thing with this thread. we all had our youth at different times.

It is similar to when the subs are announced at the football.

Roddy Frame. Who?????????????
Aztec Camera Who??????????????

But then I expect many of you younger members would say the same about The Yardbirds, Spencer Davis, Small Faces and Kinks.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Good man. Did he sing 'We could send letters', an all time favourite of mine? And to think he wrote and recorded High Land Hard Rain in his teens, the man's a genius.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
That's the thing with this thread. we all had our youth at different times.

It is similar to when the subs are announced at the football.

Roddy Frame. Who?????????????
Aztec Camera Who??????????????

But then I expect many of you younger members would say the same about The Yardbirds, Spencer Davis, Small Faces and Kinks.

I suspect any semi music literate youngsters would have least have heard of those groups, if not quite able to name a song by them. Then again if someone does not know that The Kinks sang Waterloo Sunset then they isn't any hope for humanity. Surely you would have heard this song by Aztec Camera?

[video=youtube_share;n4pWcVPUybE]http://youtu.be/n4pWcVPUybE[/video]

D

Deleted member 18588

I suspect any semi music literate youngsters would have least have heard of those groups, if not quite able to name a song by them. Then again if someone does not know that The Kinks sang Waterloo Sunset then they isn't any hope for humanity. Surely you would have heard this song by Aztec Camera?

[video=youtube_share;n4pWcVPUybE]http://youtu.be/n4pWcVPUybE[/video]

I must admit that I do think I may have heard it somewhere but would not have been able to name the group.

Only listen to music on CD's these days, radio presenters/DJ's get on my wick, still seem stuck in Smashie & Nicey mode, and never mastered the i-pod.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I must admit that I do think I may have heard it somewhere but would not have been able to name the group.

Only listen to music on CD's these days, radio presenters/DJ's get on my wick, still seem stuck in Smashie & Nicey mode, and never mastered the i-pod.

What about something like Spotify? And ipods are not that difficult as even my parents can master it, and they have trouble using a kindle.

And as for DJs sounding like Smashy and Nicey then I suppose it depends on which stations you listen to. If its commercial radio then possibly true as thats where a lot of smashy and nicey types went once they got moved on from radio 1. But most BBC DJs are no longer like that since the early 90s.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good man. Did he sing 'We could send letters', an all time favourite of mine? And to think he wrote and recorded High Land Hard Rain in his teens, the man's a genius.

Yep. And about half a dozen others from high land hard rain. Mind you, the other stuff was pretty decent too. It was a good mix. It's nice that he embraces his entire catalogue and seems to enjoy playing it all.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Yep. And about half a dozen others from high land hard rain. Mind you, the other stuff was pretty decent too. It was a good mix. It's nice that he embraces his entire catalogue and seems to enjoy playing it all.

Sweet, that's a gig I would have loved to have been at.:)

Hacker Khan

Visit site
The Specials were magnificent. But tonight it's the Human League .... "you were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met you"

Have you got your Wang Chung and Flock of Seagulls tickets yet? And as for the Mathew Wilder come back tour, well what a night that will be.;)
P.S I got 1 Direction tickets yesterday. I claim it was for my daughter, but in reality we all know that was a lie. That's what makes you beautiful oh ho..

Last edited:

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you got your Wang Chung and Flock of Seagulls tickets yet? And as for the Mathew Wilder come back tour, well what a night that will be.;)
P.S I got 1 Direction tickets yesterday. I claim it was for my daughter, but in reality we all know that was a lie. That's what makes you beautiful oh ho..

Saw the Flock of Seagulls a couple of years back. Love their stuff. Human League were magnificent although this was probably the last time you'd want to see them before they get past it. Phil Oakey murdered "Human" but the rest of the stuff was superb and they brought in a lot of the League Unlimited Orchestra stuff too.