Reece Dempster, murderer and rapist.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's hard to say more like impossible or simply refuse to in some cases. They prefer to continue to dig a hole, or like a toddler shout louder until someone gives in and agrees with them than simply acknowledge they got it wrong.
In a situation like this , especially on a very emotional subject.
You are correct,
Just apologise and that’s the end of it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At age 22 or what ever, it is extremely unlikely that he will serve out a whole life sentence, if such a thing even exists.
At some point, he will be released, given a new start, a new identity.
This is the bit I am not sure about. There is no way he, or any other like him should be allowed or be able to hide from this.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't want to pay one penny to keep people like him alive.

Can you read that back to yourself and see how it reads - since when do start putting monetary values on people’s life’s ? And how much do you think it costs to administer the death penalty ?

We don’t live in the 15th century anymore where someone is found guilty and then hung the next day - the justice system does not work that way and it won’t. It costs millions to get people on death row and some stay there for 30 years until they die naturally.
Unfortunately, that is something we just can't predict, it's just that I don't think we should take the chance, obviously where circumstances allow.

So you advocate killing people on a chance ? As I said how many have re offended at such a level ?

And how many innocent people can someone kill from prison ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think we all agree what he did was evil and wrong.
However, we disagree on how he should be dealt with.
But with the present system as it is......
How many years sentence do you all think he will get and how many years will he serve?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If we're not going to put him down then a whole life order would be appropriate
Probably get 30 years and be out in 18 though

D

Deleted member 15344

If we're not going to put him down then a whole life order would be appropriate
Probably get 30 years and be out in 18 though
“Put him down” ?

And I suspect many will agree that in this case life should mean life

As for what he will get ? 35 years ? Multiple life sentences to ensure it is life with no chance of parole

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
“Put him down” ?

I dont think that's an unreasonable statement
If we still had the death penalty and it was enacted, in this case, I think many would see it in that way.
If a dog savages someone to death then it gets destroyed...this "thing" is worse than a dog and, in mine and many peoples view, the death sentence would be just that... putting him down.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Individual philosophy and values place us at different positions on this sort of thing.

Some believe that the purpose of a correctional system is correction. Rehabilitate the criminal if he/she is not judged to be mentally damaged beyond that, and isolate or remove him/her from society permanently if he/she is determined to be too broken for rehabilitation.

Some others believe in Old Testament vengeance and their minds won't be changed.

I believe in terminating the lives of those who can't be rehabilitated rather than cruelly caging them until they die naturally,
but to do so by means of humane euthanasia rather than vicious execution.

I guess my mind won't likely be changed either.
These are the kinds of problems that are never resolved to everybody's satisfaction.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Sorry, but that statement is completely wrong. Are you saying that these knife crimes in London would be going on to the extent they are, if the perps knew they would be executed if caught?
As to your question, " what sort of civilised society......etc"
I suggest one that was interested in wanting to protect the weak, decent vulnerable citizens from the ones whose lives you want to protect.

Is that the kind of society you want to live in? Executions for knife crimes?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very dated way of thinking. You might want to read up on the Norwegian model https://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12?r=US&IR=T
I dont think comparing crime and prison in Norway with the UK or USA is like comparing apples with apples. Norway has a small population that is fairly mono cultured. As population increases and becomes more multi cultural violent crime increases exponentially, its a bit like comparing crime rates in the Scilly Isles to the rest of England.