recommend a pro

Pedro_Wedgitos

Club Champion
Visit site
As you may have read on my Hello thread I am returning after a couple of years lay off.

Rather than groove some bad habits down the range thought I might invest in a few lessons.

Can anyone recommend a good pro in the Tunbridge Wells Eastbourne area?

cheers

Pedro

Pedro_Wedgitos

Club Champion
Visit site
ta but Hythe is not near Tunbridge Wells.

For sake of clarity it needs to be very very (i.e. with 10 miles of )

Tunbridge Wells
Heathfield
Wadhurst
Eastbourne
Crowborough
Hawkhurst
Lamberhurst
Ashdown Forest
Buxted
Uckfield

etc....

so the aead between A26, A23 and the A21 south of Tonbridge and north of Robertsbridge / Eastbourne

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
BOBMAC - can i ask why you said don't go to the Belfry, is that from experience as i'm a little concerned with what they're teaching a friend of mine who's had a couple of lessons there and is scheduled for 3 more.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Try Sedlescombe Golf Club (just outside of Hastings). Not the best golf course in the world but they have good teaching facilities....
I'm going there tonight for the first of a course of six half hour lessons, total price £50.00 (buy 5 the 6th is free) which includes video analysis. I'm looking forward to it strangely enough ;)
Young guy teaching me is a lad named Ben...friend of mine knows him from his Highwoods days and reckons he's a bloody good golfer/teacher.
Details of Sedlescombe can be found here.

http://www.sedlescombegolfclub.co.uk/index.html

Rob

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At the end of the day it is all about finding a coach that gets the information across in a way that you understand and can replicate.It doesn't matter (to a large degree) about the range itself but its about how you learn and develop.

My coach is excellent at getting it across to me with the aid of maybe one or two drills per session to take away and work on to groove and understand what we are trying to achieve.

Pedro_Wedgitos

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree have had three different pros teach me in my time.

One couldn't have been less interested, was arrogant and I didn't pick up a thing. Another was the pro at the course I was a member of but I know he
has moved on (not sure where) he was good and I learnt stuff.

Just don't want to commit to lessons with someone I just don't get.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A good coach has to make the lesson interesting, easy to understand, fun and informative.
If at the end of the lesson, you look at your watch and say "is that the time already" the coach has done his job.
Those are the basics I work to

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Let us know how it goes

It went absolutely brilliantly.
Ben videod my swing before he suggested any adjustments, and on watching the replay it was clearly visible that my initial takeaway was outside the line, my left arm was bent and at the top of my backswing the club had been laid off by quite a substantial amount.
He concentrated on the first part of the takeaway, alignment (although my shoulders were pointing down the target line my feet were slightly closed) and keeping my left arm straight as I took the club away from the ball. I then hit a few shots trying that out, we watched the video afterwards and the changes were dramatic. My hips had rotated more, the club was pointing straight down the line at the top of the swing, and my left arm was straighter and much closer to my body. He printed "before and after" shots for me to take home, and even my Missus could see the difference. Well chuffed with my first session, and can't wait until the next one.
Rob

By the way....I had a knock with the new Mizuno MX200's.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only one that I can suggest remotely in that area is Paul Foston who is a GM top 25 coach and works out of Smarden in Kent (near Chart Hills).

http://www.paulfostongolfacademy.co.uk/home.html

Not a cheap option but I suppose you get what you pay for. If you go with a mate though it works out a bit cheaper and although not 100% individual attention I sometimes think that this can help both of you as you can watch out for each other when practicing or on the course.

jfg2000

Visit site
Six half hour lessons including video for £50? that's a bargain. My pro charges £37/hour. Is that average or am I paying too much?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Six half hour lessons including video for £50? that's a bargain. My pro charges £37/hour. Is that average or am I paying too much?

I was paying £15.00 for half an hour about 15 years ago at Crowborough so when he told me the price I didn't hesitate.
It does seem a bargain compared to what others are paying but who am I to argue?
I suppose it's always cheaper going with an assistant pro, but as long as he gets me hitting the ball properly, and makes visible improvements to my swing (as the video showed he had done) he could be the cleaner for all I care!.. :D :D :D

By the way. I had a knock with the new MX200's :D :D :D :D :D :D