Pro lessons

G1z1

Visit site
Golf games went to pot I mean completely gone. I’ve had one good game in the last two weeks and rest have been just terrible. My game did go just before I got my new irons so I can’t blame them and I did shoot +10 last week so I know I can use them and it’s just me.
Went with a new pro last week he confirmed what I already knew about my coming over the top. Did a few drills kind of got better but still bad. I am starting to get frustrated and just want to fast track my progress. In my 20s I did another sport for around 3 months at amateur level, decided I wanted to get good and payed a professional coach to train me 5 days a week for a year. After the year I was at a level that I could of turned pro and would like to do something similar with golf as the difference between professional lessons vs amateur is huge. Also have no desire to get anywhere near to pro level at golf will be happy just to get to and stay around scratch.
So my question is basically how would I find a teacher who mostly only works with pros or else could anyone recommend anyone in the Glasgow area, don’t want to travel any more that 30 mins as I’m looking to work with someone upto 5 days a week for probably a year ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
If we could just stay on topic that would be great please. Don’t want it going off track , I’m just looking for some help.

I imagine this will go off track quite quickly, and you probably won’t like the replies.

golf is hard, you will have ups and downs. If you want to have 5 lessons a week for a year, then crack on. If you can afford it then why not. I’m confused though, have the pros you been seeing not been offering you “professional” lessons, curious as to what you think the difference is here?

Which was the other sport out of interest, does it have any comparables?

G1z1

Visit site
Yea your probably right about it going off track, so I’ll make this my last reply on this thread and thank anyone in advance if they recommend me anyone it will be very much appreciated.

Its pros ive been to yes but i expect a professional golfer wouldn’t use them for lessons ?
pro I used last year we played two games of chipping on his trackman it was hitting targets and I beat him both times although my chipping is my best part of golf but still 18months ago I had never played golf. So wondering who these guys that are professionals use for lessons it can’t be your average club pro surly?

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good coaches don't have to be great players and good players not necessary would be good coaches.
I get having a coach with you 5 days a week would make you a better golfer, but you seems to be a little bit wild with some of the stuff you post.
" also have no desire to get anywhere near to pro level at golf will be happy just to get to and stay around scratch."
You can't buy good golf game and no matter who will be teaching You it is You who have to put all the work and hours of practice.
Good luck on your journey hopefully you will make it.
There was a guy on youtube who tried to get to scratch within 1 year with coaches help and failed

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another question to ask yourself is whether you have the time to put into practice what the pro is teaching you. If you are having 5 lessons a week with Butch Harmon (who by the way only won 1 PGA title so not the best golfer by a long way!) when would you have the time to practice and embed what you have been taught. Golf is not a game that you can master in a couple of months - look at how Speith, Willet, etc have gone from Major winner to missing cuts in rapid time. It is different from other sports so do not try and compare.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you may have to accept that you may never get to Scratch

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If we could just stay on topic that would be great please. Don’t want it going off track , I’m just looking for some help.
If your sig (Yr1 42 to 24) is actually current, then good luck with with your quest getting to scratch - frankly, from reading your earlier posts, a ridiculous dream imo.
You should set some short term goals for improvement and measure progress against those before simply aiming to get to scratch 'unplanned'!
FWW...How old are you (within a range is sufficient) and how good are you at other sports/what was that sport you could have turned pro at?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So wondering who these guys that are professionals use for lessons it can’t be your average club pro surly?
I can't speak for the Glasgow area, but there's all sorts out there, and it's not as black and white as you might imagine.
There are two pros near where I live who are just driving range pros who give lessons to the common herd, but both also teach top level tour players. Neither are expensive.
The issue can be availability though - they will often be very popular or sometimes take time away with their pros.
The best way of getting this sort of one to one service might actually be hooking up with an assistant pro starting up. They are more likely to be able to give you the time. They might even be able to study you for some sort of research topic/dissertation if that's part of their qualification.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
If your sig (Yr1 42 to 24) is actually current, then good luck with getting the actual answer you are looking for - frankly, from reading your earlier posts, a ridiculous dream imo.
You should set some short term goals for improvement and measure progress against those before simply aiming to get to scratch 'unplanned'!
FWW...How old are you (within a range is sufficient) and how good are you at other sports/what was that sport you could have turned pro at?

Sorted that reply for you, in line with forum traditions.

Newtonuti

Visit site
Good coaches don't have to be great players and good players not necessary would be good coaches.
I get having a coach with you 5 days a week would make you a better golfer, but you seems to be a little bit wild with some of the stuff you post.
" also have no desire to get anywhere near to pro level at golf will be happy just to get to and stay around scratch."
You can't buy good golf game and no matter who will be teaching You it is You who have to put all the work and hours of practice.
Good luck on your journey hopefully you will make it.
There was a guy on youtube who tried to get to scratch within 1 year with coaches help and failed

You mean there isn't a magical golf swing shop somewhere? Not even at Augusta?!

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it turns out the perfect coach is too far away, what about an online coach. With technology improvements there are plenty available.
A guy who I think is impressive is Eric Corgorno, check out Corgorno Golf. He’s an American, but explains things consciously.
I’ve seen about 10 coaches myself ?? of those 3 were probably OK, the rest were a complete waste of time and quite frankly were stealing a living. So I can relate to what you are saying.
Getting to scratch will take some doing and to do so, besides lessons, you must have natural ability.
Don’t let the aim of getting to scratch become an obsession, otherwise it will become a chore and all the enjoyment will be taken away. After all you’re not doing this to make a living, we play for enjoyment, but we all want to improve.
Out of interest what was the other sport that you did as an amateur, but could have turned pro ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If it turns out the perfect coach is too far away, what about an online coach. With technology improvements there are plenty available.
A guy who I think is impressive is Eric Corgorno, check out Corgorno Golf. He’s an American, but explains things consciously.
I’ve seen about 10 coaches myself ?? of those 3 were probably OK, the rest were a complete waste of time and quite frankly were stealing a living. So I can relate to what you are saying.
Feedback would be the biggest barrier to that approach.
Nothing quite like having the Pro place the club in the position he wants it to be - and maybe guiding the pupil's arms through the swing - then observing/confirming the change. And ensuring that the 'feelage' doesn't go too far, as can easily happen.

John Evans 9

Visit site
Wherever you are on this journey to get to scratch you will need to strike the ball better with all types of shot. One or two lessons a month should suffice if you have ability and practice. But you will also need to learn how to play golf in competition and for this you need to play with good players as role models. Hitting the ball like a scratch player is not the same as scoring like a scratch golfer. Regular lessons yes, competitions yes, social golf only for practice.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If money is no object and local coaches aren’t to the standard you require. Get yourself a Gc Quad or Trackman. Set up a simulator and then you can have your pick of world class coaches from anywhere on the planet.