Pro lessons

D

Deleted member 23270

The other thing to do is to play loads of competitions and put in loads of general play cards, it doesn’t matter how good you get, if you don’t put the cards in your handicap ain’t going anywhere.
But he has already said in previous threads that he isn't worried about his handicap, he just plays for fun.

D

Deleted member 1147

The sort of pro who only deals with pros & elite amateurs won’t touch you.

I saw a pro who only deals with pros or elite ams, but only as a favour to a mutual friend, and I play off low single figures.

An elite pro won’t have time to deal with a hacker, as they have so many good players vying for their time.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

An elite pro won’t have time to deal with a hacker, as they have so many good players vying for their time.

Are they only elite pros because they dont deal with hackers, or are they elite pros who therefore dont deal with hackers ?

If a pro really offered something elite, then he would be able to turn the hacker into a good golfer. But moving outside coaching elite golfers could expose the myth of him as an elite coach !

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The best pro is the one who coaches in a way that enables you to make improvements.

That's a combination of communication style, the amount of change they want to impart at a time and making the most what you have to start with!

I know 2 teaching pros who work with tour players. One was a club pro where the player started as a junior, and they still work together. The other has a full diary.

But keep searching till you find a good one

Yorkhacker

Visit site

I saw a pro who only deals with pros or elite ams, but only as a favour to a mutual friend, and I play off low single figures.

That may be true for coaches like Harmon, Haney, Cowen etc, but there must be plenty of tour level coaches who you can get a lesson with. For example Fleetwoods short game coach (Graham Walker) charges £75 for a 1 hour lesson, or £45 if you're a member at his club. That seems like a bargain. He must have some availability, or why would he advertise

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

A bit self-confirming because of the 'only's.

I knew someone off 8 who had a couple of sessions with Pete Cowen. Would have had more, but Cowan wouldn't budge from his standard appoach that didn't work with the player's limited (from injury) shoulder movement!

He could pay whatever it cost though. CEO of an Oil Company; a Bentley and an Aston Martin; a mansion beside the 1st of the West Course and a studio with Trackman and other Golf gadgets!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

5 lessons a week with a top pro ain’t happening. They are too busy.
In fact most “regular “ club pros won’t have space for someone 5 times a week.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

But it is possible to get coaching from a Tour level coach. Andrew Nicholson at the Leadbitter Academy at Wynyard has coached European Tour players and will coach anyone, even me. But you had better be prepared to pay top money.

http://www.wynyardgolfclub.co.uk/golf/david-leadbetter

https://www.leadbetter.com/instructor/andrew-nicholson/

Last edited:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
5 lessons a week with a top pro ain’t happening. They are too busy.
In fact most “regular “ club pros won’t have space for someone 5 times a week.
Unlike you I don't know how busy every Pro in the country is at the moment. However, I would image that it wouldn't be too hard to find one who, if offered the opportunity and the time to try to develop any golfer down to scratch, while having a constant weekly income, they would snatch at it.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Unlike you I don't know how busy every Pro in the country is at the moment. However, I would image that it wouldn't be too hard to find one who, if offered the opportunity and the time to try to develop any golfer down to scratch, while having a constant weekly income, they would snatch at it.

There are two sides to the discussion I’m sure, but the OP specifically refers to coaches who teach pro golfers. I would imagine those who are willing and able to coach handicap golfers are booked some way in advance and do not come cheap, so I can most certainly see what James is saying.

There are plenty of good teaching pros out there, any number of whom will coach county golfers who play off scratch or better. I do not really see the need, personally, to limit the search to someone who has worked with pro golfers. It all seems a bit unnecessary.

D

Deleted member 1147

A bit self-confirming because of the 'only's.

I knew someone off 8 who had a couple of sessions with Pete Cowen. Would have had more, but Cowan wouldn't budge from his standard appoach that didn't work with the player's limited (from injury) shoulder movement!

He could pay whatever it cost though. CEO of an Oil Company; a Bentley and an Aston Martin; a mansion beside the 1st of the West Course and a studio with Trackman and other Golf gadgets!
and is Pete available 5 times per week. Especially when he’s in the States or Dubai etc coaching?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
From reading some of the OPs other posts I suspect there needs to be an alignment of expectations v reality.

Golf is hard, very hard. I’ve seen a number of people successful in business and other sports, including some who were top level professionals. Who simply couldn’t play golf well. They had the time and resources available that should have allowed them to play at a decent level. But it didn’t happen.

No amount of range time can prepare a player for the randomness that golf out on the course throws at you. And you can only get that with experience.

@G1z1 have you studied any form of course management?
I’d seriously take a look if you haven’t. Try Golf Sidekick on YouTube for a lighter, but relevant take on it. Or DECADE if you want to go all in.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
and is Pete available 5 times per week. Especially when he’s in the States or Dubai etc coaching?
I was merely replying to the post I quoted - which didn't mention availability!

FWIW, I don't believe the likes of Cowen would consider the OP (given that the '42 - 24' cap quoted is correct).

And daily coaching seems, to me, to be far from the 'proper' way to progress in Golf anyway. There've been enough goals of 'high handicap to scratch in a year' or similar documented and none have been successful! It's also not what, to me, Golf is about!

D

Deleted member 23270

Who can afford to have top level professional coaching 5 days a week for a year?

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Seems to me there is a need of a bit of realism here.

Seriously, unless you’re already really, really very good, any PGA pro will do. Coming over the top, any decent pro will see that and give you some drills in 10minutes!!

The most important thing isn’t his/her knowledge of the golf swing - it’s simply can they tell you in a way that you’ll be able to hear and understand.

5 times a week - you’re having a laugh! I have one lesson a month, to be fair that’s more than I can cope with and have time to work on what I’ve been given. We usually do long game one month then short the next so I’ve got a bit more time to practise stuff.

Long game is fun but its short game that lowers the handicap!