Pro lessons

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
No that’s a rubbish idea. It should be no shots for me and I play off the whites he plays off the ladies and I will only play with a putter,7iron and a driver and I’ll even play with a eye patch just for fun. I bet a lot on here would like it stacked like that.

The guy who wants a game had one sole reason by his comment and that was to try and embarrass me and I don’t know how. I should not be beating a scratch golfer with 10 shots the now so its only him that could get shown up if I had an amazing game and he had a bad one.
If he was a decent guy he would of said look your phone has you at 12 I’ll give u 12 shots and let’s see how u get on and not even mentioned the tees but he obviously wants every little advantage on his side possible and would love nothing more to beat me and run on the forum and shout I’ve beat a 24 handicap and he will never get to scratch ? but funny thing is people that act like this. Just show themselves up for who they really are. Negative people are so unhappy in life.

3 different people on this forum have pm me recently to all basically say this forum is bad with jealous people who hunt in packs and that I’m not liked on this forum because I’m young to most, retired play golf everyday and buy clubs when I want and join multiple clubs. Are they all wrong ? I think not and I hope they speak up but I understand some don’t like confrontation.

I’ll be watching the thread now without replying but know each sarcastic reply with the jealousy bursting out of you lot gives me great pleasure ?

You was offered a round off golf against a scratch golfer under scratch conditions to give you an idea where you are at and "humble you up". At no time did I read that he was trying to make you look silly.
This forum isn't full of jealous people at all. It's full of golfers that don't care about your golf. The "I want to be a scratch golfer and I want attention doing it" has been done again and again on this forum. Usually they slide back under their rock very quickly.

Good luck with your quest. You're gonna need it

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
You was offered a round off golf against a scratch golfer under scratch conditions to give you an idea where you are at and "humble you up". At no time did I read that he was trying to make you look silly.
This forum isn't full of jealous people at all. It's full of golfers that don't care about your golf. The "I want to be a scratch golfer and I want attention doing it" has been done again and again on this forum. Usually they slide back under their rock very quickly.

Good luck with your quest. You're gonna need it

I’d happily have a game under those conditions just to see how the scratch golfer tackles the course
After a thorough beating I’d buy the person a beer or WKD

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
At no point would I actually care of ‘beating’ you, I play off scratch and you have an official handicap of 24 yet you claim it is actually 12. Regardless of either my gross score is going to be considerably lower let’s be honest. I offered the game because I actually think you seem a bit unrealistic in your aims and what your actually looking to achieve from the game ? I play golf with anybody, today I was in a 4ball with an 18, 12, and 10 handicaps respectively. We had a good game and their company was good.

I have no interest of making anybody look silly or boasting about ‘beating’ anybody. Wow I can beat someone off the bare feet, who cares I can beat most folk off the bare feet I’m over it, I was a long time ago. I’ve played golf for years, seen it all. I’m more interested in enjoying a game to be honest. It seems to be you that is interested in making yourself look daft by making ridiculous claims and having unrealistic targets.

Most folk on this forum are experienced golfers in one way of another, all of a different standard. Collectively you might get some advice or pointers which should be useful, if taken the right way of course.

D

Deleted member 15344

No that’s a rubbish idea. It should be no shots for me and I play off the whites he plays off the ladies and I will only play with a putter,7iron and a driver and I’ll even play with a eye patch just for fun. I bet a lot on here would like it stacked like that.

The guy who wants a game had one sole reason by his comment and that was to try and embarrass me and I don’t know how. I should not be beating a scratch golfer with 10 shots the now so its only him that could get shown up if I had an amazing game and he had a bad one.
If he was a decent guy he would of said look your phone has you at 12 I’ll give u 12 shots and let’s see how u get on and not even mentioned the tees but he obviously wants every little advantage on his side possible and would love nothing more to beat me and run on the forum and shout I’ve beat a 24 handicap and he will never get to scratch ? but funny thing is people that act like this. Just show themselves up for who they really are. Negative people are so unhappy in life.

3 different people on this forum have pm me recently to all basically say this forum is bad with jealous people who hunt in packs and that I’m not liked on this forum because I’m young to most, retired play golf everyday and buy clubs when I want and join multiple clubs. Are they all wrong ? I think not and I hope they speak up but I understand some don’t like confrontation.

I’ll be watching the thread now without replying but know each sarcastic reply with the jealousy bursting out of you lot gives me great pleasure ?
????

Jealous of what ?

D

Deleted member 1147

?

evemccc

Visit site
To be fair to @G1z1 he’s said plenty of times his aim is single figures at the end of this year and then scratch the next year - now, that may well be unrealistic and quite improbable but, according to him he’s got the desire, disposable income, time - both free time and his age - to give to the game

I would love to get to scratch but I think it’s extremely unlikely I will — but I’d rather see people try and get as good as possible and get as low as possible > maintaining an artificially high handicap in order to win their weekly roll-up / stableford, or winning the big board comps with a 43 point day
(I was knocked out of a handicap matchplay comp. at my place after I had shot my lowest ever gross score round there…?. The person who beat me said he’d “played average”)

My gross score is the only thing I care about when I play golf

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I very much doubt there is a single person on this forum who is jealous of you. You get slated because you are a braggard and a bore who won't put his money where his mouth is. I'm shocked that you are 40, you come across as being very immature.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To me there are some major contradictions in this thread that just make no sense, if the OP is at a level where he is chasing at least single figures then why is there a reluctance to play of the blocks?

Most courses will play around 600-1000 yards longer off the stones which being a lot of hazards into play and drastically change approach shots. Hazards you would fly off the blocks become big risks of the whites, approaches from 150 increase in some cases to 200-230 which completely reshapes the score card. Trying to stop a 3w/long iron into a narrow green with potential danger and bunkers that could wreck cards is miles away from dropping an 9i/8i into it knowing it will hold. 200yds off the tee hitting fairways Is fine when the hole is playing 350, on my 17th that’s the difference between a 9i into a very narrow uphill green that’s lightening quick and dead if long or potentially 5i that simply wouldn’t stop.

If you’re chasing scratch or S/figs, I’d be jumping at opportunities that PAG has offered as they come rarely. It will give a true gauge of your game and give you a true perception of what is required to reach your goal, but you seem to have missed some key points that truely make a scratch golfer.
1- course management when playing off the blocks will no doubt add shots, this will require lay ups and completely change the dynamic of your score card where “ 18 pars” is a big ask.
2- the skill in managing slow rounds,
3- to not drown in a puddle of your own sweat when the card is going and left with a slippery down hill 3ft’er that’s running 11 on the stimp.

There’s some great advice in this thread and some that was given to me when joining the forum (off 19 from the whites ;) ) and taking that on board it got me to 7 at my lowest, take what advice you think is useful but the main part I think needs to be taken on board is the manor in which some of your responses have been written.

But hey, I use plastic pink castle tees so I wouldn’t take my advice to serious.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
I really want this to happen - give him 12 shots if he's willing to play off the whites. I'm sure you'll still win by a large margin.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To me there are some major contradictions in this thread that just make no sense, if the OP is at a level where he is chasing at least single figures then why is there a reluctance to play of the blocks?

Most courses will play around 600-1000 yards longer off the stones which being a lot of hazards into play and drastically change approach shots. Hazards you would fly off the blocks become big risks of the whites, approaches from 150 increase in some cases to 200-230 which completely reshapes the score card. Trying to stop a 3w/long iron into a narrow green with potential danger and bunkers that could wreck cards is miles away from dropping an 9i/8i into it knowing it will hold. 200yds off the tee hitting fairways Is fine when the hole is playing 350, on my 17th that’s the difference between a 9i into a very narrow uphill green that’s lightening quick and dead if long or potentially 5i that simply wouldn’t stop.

If you’re chasing scratch or S/figs, I’d be jumping at opportunities that PAG has offered as they come rarely. It will give a true gauge of your game and give you a true perception of what is required to reach your goal, but you seem to have missed some key points that truely make a scratch golfer.
1- course management when playing off the blocks will no doubt add shots, this will require lay ups and completely change the dynamic of your score card where “ 18 pars” is a big ask.
2- the skill in managing slow rounds,
3- to not drown in a puddle of your own sweat when the card is going and left with a slippery down hill 3ft’er that’s running 11 on the stimp.

There’s some great advice in this thread and some that was given to me when joining the forum (off 19 from the whites ;) ) and taking that on board it got me to 7 at my lowest, take what advice you think is useful but the main part I think needs to be taken on board is the manor in which some of your responses have been written.

But hey, I use plastic pink castle tees so I wouldn’t take my advice to serious.

Personally the "tips-gate" saga is too much in the old school of thinking

We have a whs now. Can play any course and the boffins in the system will convert the handicap back to reflect.

The op may not want to play the tips just yet. Maybe he wants to master off the yellows and move up. Don't see any harm at all

It's still a nice offer from PAG but don't see why he should play off the tips just because. Sure he chasing scratch but get to single figures first then fine tune

Play off whatever he wants and just enjoy watching a scratch golfer play

D

Deleted member 3432

Just another thread that has descended into bickering like 95% on here.

Keeps me entertained, people getting wound up about nothing.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Personally the "tips-gate" saga is too much in the old school of thinking

We have a whs now. Can play any course and the boffins in the system will convert the handicap back to reflect.

The op may not want to play the tips just yet. Maybe he wants to master off the yellows and move up. Don't see any harm at all

It's still a nice offer from PAG but don't see why he should play off the tips just because. Sure he chasing scratch but get to single figures first then fine tune

Play off whatever he wants and just enjoy watching a scratch golfer play

I’m not sure the argument about the WHS allowing us to play on a level playing field from different tees really rings true, if I’m honest.

Pretty much every course I play off my current H.I rewards me with the same course handicap whether I play from the yellows or medal tees, regardless of the fact that they are invariably far more challenging from the latter.

Unless I’m missing your point?