Reasonable membership around Guildford

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Its that time of year again when golf membership offers seem to be around. I live in Guildford and have a limited budget. I was wondering if anyone on here has played Hurtmore Golf club.......it seems to good to be true at the moment.looking to play in competitions and maintain my handicap.Look forward to your comments

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Have a look in the current Golf Monthly magazine. There is an article about courses in the Guildford area, including Hurtmore. Not a course I would consider joining as was a bit of a bog when I played there.

West Surrey is very nice though it might be over your budget ?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting quote on their website ref the course condition and I have never played there personally and sure there must be a member on here

[FONT=&quot]Designed by Peter Alliss, the course drainage and conditions are truly exceptional, playable whatever the weather with no temporary tees or greens guaranteed[/FONT]​

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Played hurtmoore as I’m relativly local, not a bad course. Not sure on membership costs but wouldnt spend over 1k for membership. Puttenham is well spoken of but never played myself.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the membership fees I know of no other 18 hole courses reasonably locally at those low pricing levels for full membership.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Guildford born and bred, but moved away years ago....still regular visitor coz of family visits....

This all depends on your budget, which side of Town you live or work and what you are looking for

Hurtmore was mainly pay and play last time I looked and wasn’t in great condition. Not a great course but might be good value...

Puttenham is decent... proper old club. Now grovelling for members when 25 years ago they sneered at you if you wanted to pay a green fee... Bramley likewise. Both now offering deals .

Plenty of others about , depending on the first point.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm going to join Hurtmore when my current membership expires. I did fancy Farnham but 1k joining fee is a big turn off

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How old are you? There might be some intermediate membership deals if you qualify.

Some decent suggestions already, but Clandon Regis is also worth a look.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was a member 8 years ago. It is what is, there’s a reason why it is 50% cheaper than anywhere else local.
The members section is affiliated with the club but not run by it. Essentially, there are no membership privileges other than getting a handicap and comps. You fight it out with pay and play for tee times outside of comps of which there were 2 a month at weekends.

The course is always open and drains pretty well but gets a lot of traffic leading to muddy tracks forming around the greens, I understand they have put in cart paths everywhere now. Ultimately, the course just isn’t very interesting or challenging too many very short par 4’s, it used to be Par 69 SSS 66.

If you want a membership on a budget it’s a good option, my Dad still plays there regularly so I’m fairly sure not much has changed.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've played there quite a few times, pay and play as its pretty much the cheapest course in the area, and if it isn't busy can get round pretty quickly. There are a few interesting holes but i think i would get bored playing there every week.

How about Merrist wood?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played there quite a few times, pay and play as its pretty much the cheapest course in the area, and if it isn't busy can get round pretty quickly. There are a few interesting holes but i think i would get bored playing there every week.

How about Merrist wood?

Mudbath and has been in terrible condition the past 18 months. Pyrford is 50x better.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hurtmore is great value for money and they've got a new General Manager, some interesting holes, loved the par 3 over the water towards the clubhouse.
Certainly drains better than some of the other courses in the area.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest Kingswood as they offer flexible membership schemes but sadly the drainage leaves a lot to be desired in winter. Loads of options so I guess a case of doing some homework on drainage, membership fees etc. Pyrford would be worth a look

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I used to be member at Clandon Regis when I was an under 30. £320 a year was amazing value and the course is OK. Nothing special but not bad either.

Played almost every course in the Guildford area so let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry, no offence intended, but hurtmore is pretty poor from my experience playing it in the past. Open and very boring.

Can you give me your order of preference on the following.

Guildford
Puttenham
Merrist Wood
Milford
Hurtmore
Hoebridge
Silvermere
Sutton green

As I said Farnham can't be considered due to joining fee likewise west surrey

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Milford is pretty good if you're on a budget and I think it's much better than Hurtmore.
They may do a deal as there's a lot of work going on there right now.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you give me your order of preference on the following.
Guildford
Puttenham
Merrist Wood
Milford
Hurtmore
Hoebridge
Silvermere
Sutton green
As I said Farnham can't be considered due to joining fee likewise west surrey

Excuse me butting in, but this would be my ranking;

Puttenham
Guildford
Milford
Merrist Wood
Sutton green

large gap

Hoebridge
Hurtmore
Silvermere

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thank you. Is you choices based purely on golf course condition and overall enjoyment level or maybe other factors such as no tee bookings or better social events /membership

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Excuse me butting in, but this would be my ranking;

Puttenham
Guildford
Milford
Merrist Wood
Sutton green

large gap

Hoebridge
Hurtmore
Silvermere

Hoebridge is miles and miles better than Merrist Wood. Not sure when you last played, but Merrist Wood is going to the dogs for a few years now and Hoebridge is improving, but still a pay and play obvs.

A few of my mates have just got a cracking deal at Clandon Regis having left MW. Would also take a look at Bramley if location suits - not played personally but heard some fairly good things.

Mine would be (with gaps!)

Puttenham/Guildford. Both a long way ahead of next. I can't emphasise how much those 2 courses are so far ahead of the next (unsure of membership culture etc)

Milford

Hoebridge

Silvermere
Sutton Green

Hurtmore
Merrist Wood