Reasonable membership around Guildford

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thank you. Is you choices based purely on golf course condition and overall enjoyment level or maybe other factors such as no tee bookings or better social events /membership

In that case, don't think about Hurtmore/Hoebridge/Silvermere as a huge part is directed to pay and play. Merrist Wood and Sutton Green similar but to a much lesser extent. Unsure of Milford, but Guildford and Puttenham are both private members clubs.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Puttenham is decent... proper old club. Now grovelling for members when 25 years ago they sneered at you if you wanted to pay a green fee... Bramley likewise. Both now offering deals .
A perfect example here for anyone in customer service as to why if you’re too busy to accept business, have some decency about saying no. Nearly all businesses have good spells and bad ones, and if you’ve been acting arrogantly when things have been going good, you’re going to find it more difficult getting business when things are going bad.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I know a decent bloke who’s a member at Hoebridge. He loves it. I managed to play it in the middle of that heatwave in the Summer, and I thought it was great. Fairways were bone dry, which was completely understandable, but the greens were superb. Very fast, very green and very receptive.

If I lived around that way, I would join it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you. Is you choices based purely on golf course condition and overall enjoyment level or maybe other factors such as no tee bookings or better social events /membership

Pretty much on course condition, design and difficulty.
I put Silvermere at the bottom as it generally takes about three days to complete a round, honestly, it can be horrendously slow!!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If I moved back home, on that budget with would be a toss up between Guildford, Puttenham or Bramley.... depending on which part of town you lived/worked in. Decent courses and clubs, some slighly annoying bits about each... as a Burpham lad, I'd join Guildford!

Mind you, my wife is from Elstead so we'd be over that side and so it's Hankley! (or Hindhead if Hankley was full!) Could play there every day for the rest of my life and not mind....

Edit: Just seen the cost of Hankley and would take that on the chin while I am working, but eeeeek! Not cheap! (£1800 p.a and £5.5k joining!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Hindhead £1600 pa and £2.5k joining.... slightly less eeek, so would go there!! Twice the price of St Enodoc... heck...Cornwall it is then!! Too much traffic in Surrey now:eek:

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah they would be a dream. I made a few mistakes in the past. Not joining North Hants when they had no joining fee. Not joining Blackmoor when they had no joining fee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah they would be a dream. I made a few mistakes in the past. Not joining North Hants when they had no joining fee. Not joining Blackmoor when they had no joining fee

And Farnham has, I think, only in the last year or so re-introduced the joining fee - but still has a waiting list.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I've played there quite a few times, pay and play as its pretty much the cheapest course in the area, and if it isn't busy can get round pretty quickly. There are a few interesting holes but i think i would get bored playing there every week.

How about Merrist wood?

Guy in my office is a member, says it's on clay and gets very boggy in a wet winter if you intend playing all year round.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Guy in my office is a member, says it's on clay and gets very boggy in a wet winter if you intend playing all year round.
have only played it a couple of times, including on New years day and didn't think it was too bad.

Are you a member anywhere? I also live in WP.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve played Puttenham & Guildford. Found Puttenham a bit fiddly, I’d go for Guildford out of the 2, which was a decent downland set up. I wouldn’t join a crown course or a p&p set up. In reality though, I’d jump in the car for 20 mins & join west hill, finance depending. If ur young(ish) you may get a decent age related deal

marshhr

Visit site
Its that time of year again when golf membership offers seem to be around. I live in Guildford and have a limited budget. I was wondering if anyone on here has played Hurtmore Golf club.......it seems to good to be true at the moment.looking to play in competitions and maintain my handicap.Look forward to your comments
Puttenham definitely worth a look. Just spent a load of money on drainage, their greens have been fantastic this year. I played Hindhead and West Surrey in the last couple of weeks. Not a patch on Puttenham's earlier this year. mate tells me they are doing a great offer of £1250 a year membership, sounds better value than others in the area. Avoid Bramley, gets very wet in Winter and trolleys often banned. play there in matches, awful. Had no fairways this summer all burnt ou

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Farnham has had a fair few Merrist Wood members join...I believe they just weren't happy with the condition of the course. It's Crown Golf - and I am not sure CG clubs always get that great a write-up.

I've never played it so can't myself comment on condition.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Farnham has had a fair few Merrist Wood members join...I believe they just weren't happy with the condition of the course. It's Crown Golf - and I am not sure CG clubs always get that great a write-up.

I've never played it so can't myself comment on condition.
I suppose only route in is as artisan member. Not sure I could manage to comply with the divoting schedule though.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OP
Puttenham used to have a village club with very cheap membership for local parish golfers.
Not sure if it is still going, but it might persuade you to 'move to the country':LOL:

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think I will check out Milford as I have heard it does not get too wet in winter unlike my present course. I like to play throughout winter so the course needs to hold up to the conditions.