Reasonable membership around Guildford

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
I may be mistaken but I though Milford was having issues and having to change its layout.
I played there a couple of months ago, their was certainly lots of work going on with a temporary hole in place as the old 17th was out of action.

I don't know if they lost the land over the railway but looked like they had acquired some additional land around the 16th / 17th but could be wrong.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They lost the three holes over the road together with their small range. The land behind the old 17th has been bought to create two new holes but the former short 17th over the pond has gone. In the meantime, they have created a temporary hole after the short par-4th. The final version will turn the 1st hole into two with a short dog-leg par-4 first and then a par-3 to the existing 1st green.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think I will check out Milford as I have heard it does not get too wet in winter unlike my present course. I like to play throughout winter so the course needs to hold up to the conditions.
In which case I would have thought Guildford might have the edge, having a chalky subsoil base which should drain well in the wetter months.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 2p, as I've played all clubs in the Guildford area, except Effiingham...

Guildford is a reasonable course, set in the downs. Quite hilly and gets breezy. Have to cross a busy road twice. In good nick all year round. Use to be a member in the 1980s.

Puttenham is OK. Played it a few times and that's enough for me. Last two holes are annoying, particularly 18th. Finish on a par 3?! No thanks.

Milford is a course I've played hundreds of times as a social visitor. Good value as open all year round, except on very heavy rainfalls. Some adjustments to layout being done as the bit over the round is sold to developers I understand.

Hurtmore is another course I've played loads, but not recently. It's a pay-n-play, so you'll do battle with Joe Public. Short and open. Usually open all year.

Merrist Wood. Great in the summer. If wet, forget it.

Hoebridge. Nice track but again, public course meaning potential slow rounds.

Clandon Regis. Used to be local PGA HQ. Maybe still is? Decent course, can get wet though.

Silvermere. Brilliant range and shop. Course is meh and sooo slow as Joe Public is there 24/7.

Clandon GC. Newish course, right next to Guildford. Not bad track - only played it once though in summer. Like Hurtmore but more hilly. Didn't have a clubhouse when I played it a few years ago!

Bramley. Is a nice, quirky course. Good facilities. Didn't suit my eye though.

Traditions (called something else now!) - Public track and OK at best. So, so, so wet though.

Pyrford. Very near Traditions and was a level above Trad in all aspects.

My vote would go to Milford for all year round playability and condition, based on the original layout.

The better clubs are West Surrey, Hankley, Blackmoor, Liphook, Hindhead, West Hill, Woking and Worplesdon in the area.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I would suggest Kingswood as they offer flexible membership schemes but sadly the drainage leaves a lot to be desired in winter. Loads of options so I guess a case of doing some homework on drainage, membership fees etc. Pyrford would be worth a look

It's also a smidgeon under 25 miles from Guildford!!:eek:

Piece seems to describe/rank the ones I've played pretty well. Though I think i'd be happy playing Puttenham quite often. I know what he means about a Par 3 finish, but I could live with it.

Traditions (now Twisted Stone) is definitely one to avoid in Winter - or any other time it's wet! Pyrford, nearby, potentially had/has similar issues (low lying land in the hook of a river - the Wey) but seems to have made sufficient lakes, ponds etc to mitigate drainage issues.

Last edited:

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I didn't realise Clandom was different to Clandom Regis. That's put a new spin on this and I will now be looking at Clandom as a possible place for membership. Thx

Bit of rough

Visit site
Their clubhouse Aug 2016 I believe. May have built a new one since.

https://goo.gl/maps/r936F49MQ5k

I played a couple of rounds there in September and yes, that's the "clubhouse". Very small shop selling essentials and a caff doing breakfasts, bacon and the like in the mornings. Friendly staff, though it's not really a place to linger after playing.

It's a nicely designed course; uses the lines of trees and topography well, decent mix of holes, some long and challenging par 5s, and holes around an old quarry that can be visually intimidating. The underlying ground is chalk, apparently, and drains well. The terrain feels links-y in parts, and there were quite a few greens where the smart play seemed to be landing short and rolling on.

The condition wasn't great; the greens had really suffered in the summer and were bare in parts and bumpy. And the bunkers have loads of tiny pebbles in them; nothing that you'd feel when hitting a sand shot, but they will scratch the sole of the club. Still an enjoyable round though, and I expect I'll be back.

Hoebridge has grown on me this year. It's not without its faults (finishing on a par 3, some weak par 3s in general), but there are some cleverly designed holes there, especially in the run between 5-8 and 14. I can imagine that on weekends, it has the potential to be very, very slow....

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Played Guildford today. Fairways were patchy and greens not to quick but overall it's a pleasurable place to play. No mud on trousers a big plus point.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The fairways are patchy at most places I have played recently. Was surprised at the amount of bare patches on the fairways at New Zealand GC last week.

Jonnoj

Visit site
I’m a member at guildford , if you’re on a budget it has a lifestyle membership which is pretty good value?
Main reason I joined was that it’s playable all year round which it is unlike most of the lists above, but actually the best bit is it’s very friendly, sociable place to play golf. Good entries to comps, good teaching if you need it and very welcoming whichever day or roll up you play in. Happy to host you if you want a round with a member (not on a commission!)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Guildford today. Fairways were patchy and greens not to quick but overall it's a pleasurable place to play. No mud on trousers a big plus point.

Have you played Milford yet?
I'm sure they'll do a deal on membership and it's as friendly a golf club as I've played.
The staff are also top drawer too.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m a member at guildford , if you’re on a budget it has a lifestyle membership which is pretty good value?
Main reason I joined was that it’s playable all year round which it is unlike most of the lists above, but actually the best bit is it’s very friendly, sociable place to play golf. Good entries to comps, good teaching if you need it and very welcoming whichever day or roll up you play in. Happy to host you if you want a round with a member (not on a commission!)
Thank you. I have a 5 day membership already and agree course dryness is very important. I can't imagine at this stage however managing to go over to the 7 day as it's a little over budget. If I do switch to full I think Puttenham will be best option as they cut their annual subs by 350.
Matt

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have you played Milford yet?
I'm sure they'll do a deal on membership and it's as friendly a golf club as I've played.
The staff are also top drawer too.
Played 9 holes recently. There is a ridiculous par 3 of about 90 yards back over the green you've just walked off. Hopefully that's just a temporary issue