Golf around Dundee - The Open Weekend

rystaman

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm heading to the Open on the Friday and managed to scramble an AirBnB 20 mins out of Dundee. Would be looking to play some golf (hopefully some links) on the Saturday and wondering if anyone can recommend any cheaper courses (£20-40) to play within an hour-ish drive of Dundee on the Saturday? Whilst I'm up here I might as well, even though I haven't got accommodation yet for the Saturday night and it's around a 6.5 hour drive back down home.

Cheers in advance!

Last edited:
Visit site
Getting out on a Saturday could be a real challenge. In high season you will struggle to get links in your price range. In most of Dundee, Angus and Fife £80-120 is the range to be paid in July.

There are couple of exceptions. Anstruther is a cracking 9 hole links courses and should be available for around £25 in July, though might be too far from Dundee when you factor in Open traffic around St Andrews.

If your staying in Dundee and after links your best bet in that price range is probably Arbroath Golf Links which is about £45 during the week though never played it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I remember looking in January 2020 (pre-covid) at golf courses on the Kent coast, and seeing that many had different green fees for the upcoming Open week, being played at RSG.

And of course by different, I mean exceptionally higher than the normal prices. I'm guessing it was done with Yank tourists in mind. Is that a regular thing with The Open, or were the courses in Kent taking the mick?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
About an hour out of Dundee is Auchterarder, right next door to Gelneagles, but at least a fifth of the price. Obviously not a links course and short, but very nice.
Alternatively, 25 minutes out and towards St. Andrews is St Michael's. Blooming hilly, but some lovely views and inland again.

Visit site
Liam Harrison on the Golf Mates channel just recently did a series of vlogs in “Carnoustie Country” which includes a number of the courses people have suggested. Worth checking out.

rystaman

Visit site
I remember looking in January 2020 (pre-covid) at golf courses on the Kent coast, and seeing that many had different green fees for the upcoming Open week, being played at RSG.

And of course by different, I mean exceptionally higher than the normal prices. I'm guessing it was done with Yank tourists in mind. Is that a regular thing with The Open, or were the courses in Kent taking the mick?

Taking a look around, I can't see any major shifts in prices right now at the price range I'm looking at. I think some of the more prestigious clubs even change tee times on a weekly basis dependent on popularity etc.

rystaman

Visit site
About an hour out of Dundee is Auchterarder, right next door to Gelneagles, but at least a fifth of the price. Obviously not a links course and short, but very nice.
Alternatively, 25 minutes out and towards St. Andrews is St Michael's. Blooming hilly, but some lovely views and inland again.

St Michaels looks like it's a great shout, added to the list to take a look at!

rystaman

Visit site
Ashludie, the 2nd course at Monifieth would be a good option. Classic links, £45 and times available on the afternoon of Saturday 16th. 15-20 mins from Dundee (road or train).

Thanks, this looks right up the alley of what I was looking for also, and like you said very close to Dundee as well. I was even considering looking further out on the route back to the West Midlands but might try and get an early round in then drive back after

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Thanks, this looks right up the alley of what I was looking for also, and like you said very close to Dundee as well. I was even considering looking further out on the route back to the West Midlands but might try and get an early round in then drive back after
The 'Ludie at Monifieth is a cracking wee course. There's usually a 'Hot Deal' tee time on Golf Now for about £30 too (edit to say it's £36.99 for 1.27 tee time on Saturday 16th). St Mikes is nice too but very much not links.

rystaman

Visit site
The 'Ludie at Monifieth is a cracking wee course. There's usually a 'Hot Deal' tee time on Golf Now for about £30 too - whether that will apply to Open Saturday is uncertain though. St Mikes is nice too but very much not links.

To be honest, considering I'm playing off 19 at the moment and having only played parkland courses in the Midlands, I don't know wether links is going to be too tough for me or if I just need to brush up on my stingers and play them the whole round if I get out at Monifieth haha

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest, considering I'm playing off 19 at the moment and having only played parkland courses in the Midlands, I don't know wether links is going to be too tough for me or if I just need to brush up on my stingers and play them the whole round if I get out at Monifieth haha
I play Monifeith fairly regularly and the Ashludie is a terrific wee course. Although it's a links course, there is plenty definition around greens to give a sense of perception of distance, which a lot of links courses don't have, and as long as you keep to the fairways you will have a great time.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Links golf is not necessarily any tougher, give it a go.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
You'll be fine - The Ashludie won't beat you up too much

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d also recommend Ashludie and St Michaels. There are similarly priced courses nearby but not as good at the same cost.

Maybe Scotscraig if you can get there on a deal but I suspect that will be unlikely during Open week.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Links course are not generically tougher than Parkland courses.
They do tend to get windier weather though, which can lead to tougher golf

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm heading to the Open on the Friday and managed to scramble an AirBnB 20 mins out of Dundee. Would be looking to play some golf (hopefully some links) on the Saturday and wondering if anyone can recommend any cheaper courses (£20-40) to play within an hour-ish drive of Dundee on the Saturday? Whilst I'm up here I might as well, even though I haven't got accommodation yet for the Saturday night and it's around a 6.5 hour drive back down home.

Cheers in advance!
ballumbie Castle has an open on https://www.golfempire.co.uk/new/entryform.php?eventid=538

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
OK then, Try kirriemuir https://www.kirriemuirgolfclub.co.uk/

£55 on a Saturday

Springveldt

Visit site
I only find the wind makes links courses tougher, if the wind isn't blowing then I find parkland courses tougher due to them feeling tighter with all the trees.

As others have said the Ashludie if a cracking course. It's quite short but don't let that put you off, it's still great. I played it a few years ago with guys that are "social" golfers and all of them handled it fine. We played Monifieth on the Saturday then the Ashludie on the Sunday with massive hangovers.

Someone else mentioned Arbroath Golf Links which is just along the road from Monifieth. Again, it's a great links course. Played that a few years ago as well with the same guys (both the Saturday and the Sunday) and it didn't beat any of them up.