Reason for getting into golf

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My dad started playing it when I was 13 or 14, and eventually he booked me and my mum in for starter lessons so we could all go out and play 9 holes on a weekend.

I didn't play much in my 20s though, got back into again when I was about 28. Not sure what prompted it that time though, I remember going to Top Golf a few times when that was relatively new, and sort of planning ahead for a sport I could keep playing when I retire from football, plus I discovered one of my wife's friends used to play and wanted to get back into it as well, plus my best mate was thinking about taking it up. Combination of all of those and I got the bug like never before.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
An ex colleague of mine is a member at Ashburnham Golf Club in South Wales. There was a last minute space on a corporate day there, I managed to booked the rest of the day off work and went along with him. I had never even held a golf club before and as I'd only ever played football, my hand - eye coordination was terrible. I borrowed a set of his old clubs and shoes and played my first ever round of golf at Ashburnham in the howling wind and scored 1 point :LOL:

I was hooked and I still keep in touch with my ex colleague to this day and still play there with him a couple of times a year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
An ex colleague of mine is a member at Ashburnham Golf Club in South Wales. There was a last minute space on a corporate day there, I managed to booked the rest of the day off work and went along with him. I had never even held a golf club before and as I'd only ever played football, my hand - eye coordination was terrible. I borrowed a set of his old clubs and shoes and played my first ever round of golf at Ashburnham in the howling wind and scored 1 point :LOL:

I was hooked and I still keep in touch with my ex colleague to this day and still play there with him a couple of times a year.
Played with a member from there on Monday called Geoff Escourt

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Driving along a road which cuts through a course over Easter I read a sign which said Get into Golf Here (the one on Ludlow racecourse).
Thank 'God' I'm now out of golf. This forum helped make my mind up after I received abuse here.

Here are some tips:
It's addictive like drugs or alcohol and I'm sure you would rather be out of those, too.
Think just how much time and money you will waste. Golf is a good walk spoiled.
Players say they enjoy golf when what they really mean is that they like fresh air, which does not require a fee.
You always reach a point where you can't improve. Then your enjoyment starts to fade.
Like one famous professional said when asked for a tip: Better not to take it up in the first place.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driving along a road which cuts through a course over Easter I read a sign which said Get into Golf Here (the one on Ludlow racecourse).
Thank 'God' I'm now out of golf. This forum helped make my mind up after I received abuse here.

Here are some tips:
It's addictive like drugs or alcohol and I'm sure you would rather be out of those, too.
Think just how much time and money you will waste. Golf is a good walk spoiled.
Players say they enjoy golf when what they really mean is that they like fresh air, which does not require a fee.
You always reach a point where you can't improve. Then your enjoyment starts to fade.
Like one famous professional said when asked for a tip: Better not to take it up in the first place.

Why do you need to improve to enjoy?

D

Deleted member 21258

How true, I just enjoy the golf course, the time off, the company, the excitement, the outside and the roller coaster ride of every round and never know what is coming up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How true, I just enjoy the golf course, the time off, the company, the excitement, the outside and the roller coaster ride of every round and never know what is coming up.

Where would people rather be? Work?!

I’ve played twice this week (unusual for me I average a round a week) anyways yes I’ve had my best 2 rounds this year but I would enjoy it regardless

Played last week with someone I cant stand but the other 2 I get on with. Had a blast

Nothing better than the sun shining and working your way round a golf course

Who cares if theirs a fee.. can’t take it with you

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
New course opened 3 miles from my childhood home. My dad became a founding member and got me started when I was 8.

But it was the 1996 Masters that got me hooked

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Common experience. No doubt there are some who never improve but still remain positive.

I walked alongside a course 2 days ago (The West Midlands with its publicised par 6) and it was empty. The adjacent fishing lake was packed. It seems golf is in decline in this part of the world with courses closed and others just ticking over.

Some members on this forum have a staggering number of posts which suggests they are heavily addicted to golf. This is mentally and physically unhealthy. Get a life.
You will take a big risk with your back, hips and knees if you over indulge in golf. Ask Jack and Tiger. Would you swap healthy body parts for their money?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Common experience. No doubt there are some who never improve but still remain positive.

I walked alongside a course 2 days ago (The West Midlands with its publicised par 6) and it was empty. The adjacent fishing lake was packed. It seems golf is in decline in this part of the world with courses closed and others just ticking over.

Some members on this forum have a staggering number of posts which suggests they are heavily addicted to golf. This is mentally and physically unhealthy. Get a life.
You will take a big risk with your back, hips and knees if you over indulge in golf. Ask Jack and Tiger. Would you swap healthy body parts for their money?
Why the hell are you still posting here if you don't like golf?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My Dad and Brothers started playing at our local muncipal when I was about 10/11 and I just came along and played with them. God they must have had some patience. All our clubs were from second hand shops, wooden shafts, rusty heads, etc.
I got the bug and that was it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I will politely suggest you are going about it wrong. Golf is wonderful for your mental health as anything is if you do it correctly.. its a release.. a time to unwind and get away from the world.

Its certainly better to be addicted to golf than drugs, gambling or booze..
its also 100% legal

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why the hell are you still posting here if you don't like golf?
Football, cricket and golf are the only sports in my DNA.
Happy is the person who has given up golf.
Many people have said something similar to me in recent times, and my observations of golf in my area suggests golf is in decline.
If you can't give it up then cut down or use your imagination to explore other recreational possibilities.
May I suggest buying OS maps and exploring our wonderful countryside on foot.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Many people have said something similar to me in recent times, and my observations of golf in my area suggests golf is in decline.
If you can't give it up then cut down or use your imagination to explore other recreational possibilities.

Why though?

I and many people here enjoy it, it is not detrimental to health but in fact a boost, including moderate exercise (great for those slightly older people who cannot do intense exercise), and fresh air. It is not detrimental to your social life, but in fact a boost, you often play with friends out together for hours and then share a drink and often meet new people.

I've play golf, cricket, rugby, badminton all to a decent standard I also love hiking and have done lots of treks. What is your issue with golf?

Why should we give up or cut down, a sport that is good for physical and mental health (wanting to improve is not a negative, and not at all comparable to alcohol or drugs) and good for social interactions

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would I do any of that crap? Golf is fun. If I wasn't playing golf, I'd be indoors watching telly with the wife, and who the heck wants to spend unnecessary time with their wife??

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I will politely suggest you are going about it wrong. Golf is wonderful for your mental health as anything is if you do it correctly.. its a release.. a time to unwind and get away from the world.

Its certainly better to be addicted to golf than drugs, gambling or booze..
its also 100% legal
It's the walking element which is good for your mental health, not the actual swing which puts a big strain on your body.
The body did not evolve to play golf, it's just that the bones and joints which act like levers to keep you upright also allow you to hit a golf ball with a club.
Gambling, tobacco and booze are still legal, but it's your life.
There are golfing widows out there. A small company I worked for went bust and part of the reason appeared to be the owner was always on the Forest of Arden.