Reason for getting into golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Between 1969 and 1985 I played no golf at all.
What a happy time.

I’m a bit confused at why you are here and your motive ?

I remember when you were asking about swings etc and you say being insulted on here meant you gave up golf ?! In that case why are you back here

Clearly you have no interest in the sport but there are a lot of people who do enjoy it and do like it as part of their life - if you are happier without golf then that’s great for you but it just comes across as bitter to try and put others off the sport and then to start moaning about small well known examples of the negatives of golf which then ignores the majority of golfers and golf clubs which are very welcoming and encouraging to others - but it’s a two way street and if you display the same attitude at a golf club as you are showing on here then its clear to see why you had issues within the sport.

But I don’t think I’ll understand why someone who doesn’t like golf is posting on a golf forum ?!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I remember when you were asking about swings etc and you say being insulted on here meant you gave up golf ?! In that case why are you back here

Clearly you have no interest in the sport but there are a lot of people who do enjoy it and do like it as part of their life - if you are happier without golf then that’s great for you but it just comes across as bitter to try and put others off the sport and then to start moaning about small well known examples of the negatives of golf which then ignores the majority of golfers and golf clubs which are very welcoming and encouraging to others - but it’s a two way street and if you display the same attitude at a golf club as you are showing on here then its clear to see why you had issues within the sport.

But I don’t think I’ll understand why someone who doesn’t like golf is posting on a golf forum ?!

Also this thread was reasons why people took up the game and it’s been hi jacked by someone who wants to put everyone off the game.

Maybe it’s tigers ex wife 😂

D

Deleted member 18588

So why are women at many private clubs only allowed on the course at certain times or certain days? Answer that one please.
The people who complained to me about their treatment were actually women. I was told by one woman that Laura Davies was ticked off at Little Aston by walking in front of the clubhouse and so it is not too historical.
Then there is the famous case of Muirfield voting against women members and only relenting because it would cost them.
Then there's:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12204113

It goes on and on. Nobody here can deny misogyny in golf, or that people with a non white skin have been discriminated against in golf.

Re: the Laura Davies story I would ask if you have ever heard the phrase "urban myth".

It sounds good but that still doesn't make it true.

Also the members at Muirfield did not vote against admitting women members. Unfortunately the first vote did not secure a large enough majority for the club rules to be amended.

A further vote held shortly afterwards did succeed.

Attitudes in golf are reflective of society and sometimes they are not right but that is true in every walk of life.

Your problem seems to arise from listening to rather too many ill-informed and prejudiced people.

Or maybe you are just on a wind-up, whatever it is I would suggest you might be happier on a different forum as your mission here has clearly failed.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My sister in laws ex husband. 2011 she brought him a groupon for a golf lesson for 2 people - Went for it not really interested in golf and slowly the addiction built.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You don't have to apologize, but in the long run I believe that one vital ingredient could suffer, and that's the use of the imagination which can be stunted by too much of the same thing.

You are something else. My imagination will suffer? Really? I assume you have validated evidence apart from your sneery dismissive attitude to back this up? I write, I do a youtube channel (for no other reason than I enjoy doing it) and I am in the process of doing some writing outside of a golf environment. Why not give this forum a wide berth for the same time spell you were not playing and see how happy it makes you. I can't help feeling you are only here to troll

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry had to catch up - why is he posting on here? I get some people stop golf, I even believe some hate it (weirdos.) If I stopped playing golf then I'd come off the forum. Anyhoo he sounds like a dry lunch so thank you ignore button!

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had a few mates that played regularly, but had never had the patience for golf although always liked the game, I was made redundant about 15 years ago and started playing then as away to get out of the house away from a computer and endless job hunting. I still don't have the patience, but the bad shots are slightly less frequent now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate of mine is always playing. He got into the game because his wife is a child minder. Before they had a outbuilding built in their garden the kids were in the house so on his days off (shift worker like myself) he needed to be out the house

He now plays almost every day he is off

Hats off to him

My once a week (sometimes lucky to get 5 rounds a month if the wife needs me gone lol)

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
A couple of people encouraged me to stay. Perhaps the next time someone asks what mediciation I'm taking should consider their health is never guaranteed.

When I took up playing golf properly it was because my work colleagues were always talking about it. One person told me it would waste up a lot of my time. On reflection I think he was right. Golf loafing really does prevent you from doing something more useful.
I can't deny it has given me quite a lot of pleasure, but also some pain. There is a point you reach when you think 'here we go again, I know I'd be happier reading a book' (or whatever).
I did try to get people of colour interested, but they know that private golf courses operate a virtual colour bar and they hold back. In fact I'll single out a few I know by walking on public footpaths across the course. Copt Heath, Little Aston, Blackwell, Robin Hood, Halesowen, Sandwell Valley. Bastions of male white middle class privilege where a large percentage of the local population would not fit in no matter how good they are. On the other hand I've had enjoyable experiences playing with black people (including a doctor) on a local public courses.

Irrelevant question.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of people encouraged me to stay. Perhaps the next time someone asks what mediciation I'm taking should consider their health is never guaranteed.

When I took up playing golf properly it was because my work colleagues were always talking about it. One person told me it would waste up a lot of my time. On reflection I think he was right. Golf loafing really does prevent you from doing something more useful.
I can't deny it has given me quite a lot of pleasure, but also some pain. There is a point you reach when you think 'here we go again, I know I'd be happier reading a book' (or whatever).
I did try to get people of colour interested, but they know that private golf courses operate a virtual colour bar and they hold back. In fact I'll single out a few I know by walking on public footpaths across the course. Copt Heath, Little Aston, Blackwell, Robin Hood, Halesowen, Sandwell Valley. Bastions of male white middle class privilege where a large percentage of the local population would not fit in no matter how good they are. On the other hand I've had enjoyable experiences playing with black people (including a doctor) on a local public courses.

Irrelevant question.

Funny that both the society’s I’m involved with have ladies , black and Asian members 👌 even some Greeks for good measure

Never been asked to leave a course ..

Maybe issues aren’t as bad as they were maybe........