Reason for getting into golf

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had been quite ill and had to stop playing rugby. I needed something to do that wasn’t so intensive but was still sport.

I had dabbled in golf since I was about 12, playing with friends over the summer and going on the occasional golf day or round on a summer holiday.

I was on the verge of depression following the illness and loss of the fitness I had built up from 14 years of rugby, running and generally being active.

Golf saved me from depression and has given me a lifelong pursuit. It also helped to reduce the frequency of my anxiety attacks as it gave me something I could put my mind to.

I still feel I owe golf a fair bit.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I just needed something else I could bear Fragger at.......:ROFLMAO:

Came from Cricket..left knee was about to explore so had to find something that didn't put so much strain on it.
Didn't start until I was 30 - really wish I'd started much much earlier.
First handicap card was 12 over par/15 over SSS and the rest, as they say, is hysterical:cool:

Wolf

Visit site
Wasn't much choice Dad used to make me walk the course with him summer evenings and Sunday mornings when I was a kid and mum was at work. That progressed to being left to chip and putt around the putting green on my own until I had a full fledged junior membership, went from a 26 handicap at 13 years old to 4 in 2 years, gave up at 19 and wish I really hadn't as so many wasted years until last November when I started again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My dad played. He took me to Sandown Park one summer when they were having a week of lessons for kids and I never looked back. He took me to Coulsdon Court for the first ever game and then got me junior membership at Wimbledon Common

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have always played a lot of sports and this was just another one to try.

I started playing in my mid 20s and became instantly hooked on the game. I even changed what I did for a living so I had more time to play.

Injuries through the years have meant it is now the only sport that I play and my best way of keeping even a reasonable degree of mobility.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
For medical reasons I wasn't allowed to run hard anymore but the list of recommended sports had golf near the top. It's not something I had ever considered but it seemed a good reason top start.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife had played golf for quite some time. One day when I was in my 40s, she said to me "we need to find a pastime we can do together. You must learn to either ride a horse or play golf". The choice was a no-brainer - no way are you getting me on a horse! Ironically we don't play together much nowadays, except for mixed comps and holidays.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have played a very wide range of different sports but growing up in a working class family in SW Durham it could never have been golf. Played recreation-ground tennis & hill-walking until attending PE college in Leeds opened up the world of rock climbing, caving, skiing. & sailing.
A year spent in Christchurch, NZ opened up wind-surfing & golf.
Family arrived so tennis could be played in less time & in any case golf was still a pretty expensive past-time as unable to find the time for several rounds a week.
As I aged, old injuries led to a reluctant retirement from tennis & climbing & golf became the obvious game to take up as I'd always loved those pitch & putt opportunities at the seaside...… & of course I got hooked..... going part time & then full retirement has given opportunities to devote a lot of time to the game. Past 70 & still at the lowest I've ever achieved I wonder how I may have done with an earlier start...… though still loving it now.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lived in Margate as a teenager and the council ran two decent pitch and putt courses. Had a competitive game against my dad every Sunday afternoon for many years. Always wanted to take up the game properly thereafter, but waited nearly 40 years until joining a club four years ago after taking my kids along to a free introductory lesson.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No parental influence, like many kids someone usually had a battered old iron to hit round a football pitch
Dabbled with occasional rounds as I grew up but always with old clubs and a wicked slice
A change of job led to a regular Sunday 4 ball so I got into it properly but still had the slice
Got seriously hooked about a year or two before I moved overseas and found a solid golf community out here
The slice can still raise its head from time to time but mostly under control

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
My Dad and then when I hit that first shot that made "that" noise and saw it fizzing into the distance somewhere around 1984 I was hooked... still am

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Had been given a few introductions as a kid by supportive non-golfer parents. But it didn't stick and didn't ever get as far as joining a club.

in 2011, had a game with my girlfriends dad at Kinghorn one bank holiday (i think it was the Royal Wedding) when in my mid 20s.

Got hooked pretty quick and been a regular player for all but 2 years after kids were born.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My parents started playing when they went into retirement. They became obsessed with it relatively quickly. I lived in another part of Germany back then and did not see them very often, so I escaped the bug for a few more years, but then one day when I visited them, they dragged me to the driving range and made me hit a 6iron. I missed the ball completely once or twice and then hit a surprisingly solid 100 m shot. And my life has never been the same ...

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dad got me playing. Tried a few other sports but was rubbish and nothing ever stuck; no siblings either so liked something I could go out and do by myself. I like doing something I’m solely responsible for and would most likely be a dreadful teammate in another sport!

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Dad got me playing. Tried a few other sports but was rubbish and nothing ever stuck; no siblings either so liked something I could go out and do by myself. I like doing something I’m solely responsible for and would most likely be a dreadful teammate in another sport!

I suppose this was an attraction for me as well. I find it's a great way to de-stress after a difficult week in work to just get out on the course on my own, don't look at my phone, just me and the course.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I suppose this was an attraction for me as well. I find it's a great way to de-stress after a difficult week in work to just get out on the course on my own, don't look at my phone, just me and the course.

Know what you mean there, doesn’t take much to let the day job and anything else disappear when you get out. Can’t beat this time of year for even a couple of holes after work 👍

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My grandad started playing when he was winding down his work, they were living down in Somerset and it was the time when me and my brother were getting shipped off to them for a couple of weeks during the summer holidays, a couple of visits to the driving range and that was it, bitten/smitten (and I still am). My brother was never and still isn't interested at all.

Fabia999

Visit site
I can never be good at any physical sports due to health. I Joined my first club with my mate last October at 21. Old work colleague took me twice and I noticed improvements so I decided to continue.