Reason for getting into golf

JGolfer

Visit site
What got everybody here into golf in the first place? Thought might be a good topic as was talking to some work colleagues who mentioned they want to get into golf. Asked why and they said because they are over 30 and that's what over 30s do.

So why did everybody else get into golf ?

Me personally was through an Injury and my doctor recommending it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Torn ACL playing football.
Was told my playing days were over by Bob Paisley at LFC.
My mate played for Liverpool and he asked the med team to look at it .
I was gutted at 26 I was just getting to be a decent player.( according to my manager)
He advised me to take up a non contact sport.
Where I worked had a golf society so played with a couple of lads and was hooked.
First comp shot 93 off 28 and won was off scratch in 18months.

D

Deleted member 15344

Played Cricket and hockey for years - started to ache badly every Sunday morning , my mate had joined a golf club the year before - persuaded me to join which was ten years ago now , first HC 24 i think

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
My mate at work took me to the driving range one day and of course couldn’t hit anything properly. So being stubborn I decided to keep going to the range until I could hit a ball properly. Think I was going to the range for about 6 months before I ventured onto a golf course.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My grandad used to play and I used to go with him to range and pitch and putt and then to 18 holes. Still as bad now as I was then but only now I hit it further and longer off line👍

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Some of my earliest memories are of golf. Went round with my dad before my 10th birthday. Apart from a few breaks, I've always played golf.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to do crazy golf and putting with my parents when young, then pitch and putt. Eventually onto the real thing at about 18 or 19.
Sadly I fear the loss of putting greens and pitch and putt will mean a distinct lack of new players to the game of golf.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played club hockey for years. Knees started to give me problems in my 30's, 1st child came along. Time to stop hockey, wanted to keep doing some sport but one that I didn't have to commit to or didn't further trash my knees. In laws all played golf so I gave it a go. Pleased I did.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Mate moving down south suggested it as something we could meet up for a weekend for. Threw myself into it got kitted out and joined a club, and he's gone traveling about 6 months ago!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good topic. i started in my early 40's and for me it was opportunity more than anything else. Asked once, said why not and enjoyed the challenge.

A bigger question for me is what KEEPS you in golf. I started and quit many many things as they start to bore me or the challenge was met. With golf, there is no mastering it. The fact that you can stink one day for no good reason is what keeps me coming back. It will never bore me, the challenge will never end and I will never master it. For those reasons I love the game

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I work in theatre. Spend most of my days in a dark hall, no natural light. My dad started playing again after a 10 year layoff and figured I'd go out with him for a bit of daytime sun on a day off. Got hooked immediately!

D

Deleted member 16999

Late 30’s, posted to a TA Unit with 4 Permanent Staff, thankfully one of the guys was off 2 and introduced me to it, before that it was Football, playing then managing.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Family holiday in st ives when I was in my early teens me and my dad played the local pitch and putt played on and off since had a big lay off for about 4 years though as I got marriage and two kids later I’m back playing .
wish I’d kept playing though as struggling a bit trying to put the time i want into my game with a busy family life at the moment and work .

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spend some time with dad and grandad

Dad used to take me over the range

Always used to get beaten by them

Now I’m better than all of them consistently and they all retire lol not linked .: my grandads got so frail and my dads knees have gone. He’s only 62

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Get a lot of time off, and the work lads used to go to a pitch and putt.
I don’t like to lose, so I got lessons to beat my mates.
I beat them out the game completely and joined a club where I beat myself up.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Started at the local pitch and putt was i was about 9 or 10 but really go to into at secondary school as my mates played. Got down to 2 When I was 15 but then packed it in for about 20 years as cricket took over.
Gave up cricket to help my custody battle so decided to get the clubs out again.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a natural progression, played football until I did my ACL, played tennis until I knew I was as good as I could be given my age and a knee injury so decided to play golf.