Reason for getting into golf

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
A couple of people encouraged me to stay. Perhaps the next time someone asks what mediciation I'm taking should consider their health is never guaranteed.

When I took up playing golf properly it was because my work colleagues were always talking about it. One person told me it would waste up a lot of my time. On reflection I think he was right. Golf loafing really does prevent you from doing something more useful.
I can't deny it has given me quite a lot of pleasure, but also some pain. There is a point you reach when you think 'here we go again, I know I'd be happier reading a book' (or whatever).
I did try to get people of colour interested, but they know that private golf courses operate a virtual colour bar and they hold back. In fact I'll single out a few I know by walking on public footpaths across the course. Copt Heath, Little Aston, Blackwell, Robin Hood, Halesowen, Sandwell Valley. Bastions of male white middle class privilege where a large percentage of the local population would not fit in no matter how good they are. On the other hand I've had enjoyable experiences playing with black people (including a doctor) on a local public courses.

Irrelevant question.

what actually is your point here. Do you want us to deny there are clubs out there that are discriminatory?

of course there are clubs like that, just as there are drinking establishments, tennis clubs etc that are like that.

But are those clubs a fair representation of the sport as a whole, definitely not, those clubs are a tiny percentage and dropping all the time. Did you know there are more female only clubs than men only.

I've played with labourers, judges, professional sportsmen, doctors, builder, carpenters you name. Golf is open to everyone and enjoyed by everyone. To say golf is elitist because of the actions of a handful of clubs is tantamount to saying eating out at the pub is elitist because the Ritz and the Dorchester exist

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played with a member from there on Monday called Geoff Escourt

I don't think I've met him before. That said, I do get involved a fair bit with them due to my mate and play in their away days etc so I may well have unknowingly met him! Had you played there prior to Monday?

D

Deleted member 21258

Main reason why I got into golf, was because I wanted to have a go at it and a couple of friends then took me up the driving range and onto the course.

Great times, learning how to hit a ball, many laughs at my expense had.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Did you know there are more female only clubs than men only.
Go on, I'll bite.
What are the female only clubs?

I've played with labourers, judges, professional sportsmen, doctors, builder, carpenters you name.
I played with a one armed man once, but that was on a Troon municipal.

Golf is open to everyone and enjoyed by everyone.
Sweeping statement. How do you know they are enjoying it? Even some pros are supposed to hate golf. For them it's just a living.

To say golf is elitist because of the actions of a handful of clubs is tantamount to saying eating out at the pub is elitist because the Ritz and the Dorchester exist
Don't get that comparison.
It's less to do with elitism because golf is more like a virus of the mind. It has replicated into your mind from another source and then it gets into another person's head.

D

Deleted member 1147

I went on crazy golf when very young and loved it, then moved onto pitch and putt and was hooked. So, I got into watching it on TV, and was lucky enough to grow up in the "European explosion" era, of Faldo, Seve, Norman etc.
My Mum's uncle was a member at Kedleston and he introduced me there and I got membership aged 10 or 11, and have loved playing ever since.

My Dad had a few old clubs, and played the odd game at muni's when he was younger but it wasn't his main sport - but it has always been my main passion.

I just wish I was physically better, mentally stronger and more dedicated. Chuck in a huge amount of luck, and a family fortune and I think I could have made it!
:eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Go on, I'll bite.
What are the female only clubs?

I played with a one armed man once, but that was on a Troon municipal.

Sweeping statement. How do you know they are enjoying it? Even some pros are supposed to hate golf. For them it's just a living.

Don't get that comparison.
It's less to do with elitism because golf is more like a virus of the mind. It has replicated into your mind from another source and then it gets into another person's head.

There's a thing called Google, try it.

Because I play with people and they enjoy it, it's not a difficult concept, people don't spend their free time doing something they hate. Different for professsionals, although I know a lot of them too and they to a man enjoy the game. I don't enjoy my job, but I do it so I can get paid, if I had a skill that could make me millions but I didn't like it I would do that too.

The comparison I made is because you were implying that golf as a whole was bad because of how a few establishments acted, the similar comparison of the Ritz, Dorchester or whatever requiring strict dress code or whatever doesn't diminish eating out as a whole.

Golf is not a virus, if you had some problem with it, then the problem is with you I'm afraid. Some mental health issues or addictive personality. But that is not the fault of the sport, you will probably have a similar relationship with more pastimes

D

Deleted member 18588

Because I play with people and they enjoy it, it's not a difficult concept, people don't spend their free time doing something they hate. Different for professsionals, although I know a lot of them too and they to a man enjoy the game. I don't enjoy my job, but I do it so I can get paid, if I had a skill that could make me millions but I didn't like it I would do that too.

The comparison I made is because you were implying that golf as a whole was bad because of how a few establishments acted, the similar comparison of the Ritz, Dorchester or whatever requiring strict dress code or whatever doesn't diminish eating out as a whole.

Golf is not a virus, if you had some problem with it, then the problem is with you I'm afraid. Some mental health issues or addictive personality. But that is not the fault of the sport, you will probably have a similar relationship with more pastimes

Just ignore him, he is on a wind-up.

I can assure you that he knows nothing about the clubs that he referenced.

After all of those he cited the first four are very representative of their locations

I believe the word is troll!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just ignore him, he is on a wind-up.

I can assure you that he knows nothing about the clubs that he referenced.

After all of those he cited the first four are very representative of their locations

I believe the word is troll!
Precisely, time to stop feeding the troll! Imagine coming back to a golf forum to try and convince all the golf fans that golf is bad. :ROFLMAO: I believe he's got tickets to the next Eminem gig to tell everyone there to stop listening to rap music.

D

Deleted member 1147

... :ROFLMAO: I believe he's got tickets to the next Eminem gig to tell everyone there to stop listening to rap music.
...and I was starting to think he was a bit of an idiot!
Perhaps 2 wrongs do make a right?!?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As clear as mud to me.
https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/women-only-clubs.57885/page-2

Because I play with people and they enjoy it, it's not a difficult concept, people don't spend their free time doing something they hate.
Golf is good for getting you away from under her feet and she will know where you are.

Dress code is less restrictive than the strict skin colour code operated at Augusta, although the caddies had to be black.

You need to catch up with evolutionary biology. Physically we are all mammals determined by our genes. Mentally, everything acts like a virus or meme which like genes are passed down the generations. Golf is no exception.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
As clear as mud to me.
https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/women-only-clubs.57885/page-2

Golf is good for getting you away from under her feet and she will know where you are.

Dress code is less restrictive than the strict skin colour code operated at Augusta, although the caddies had to be black.

You need to catch up with evolutionary biology. Physically we are all mammals determined by our genes. Mentally, everything acts like a virus or meme which like genes are passed down the generations. Golf is no exception.

Can you please stop derailing this thread. Please start up a new thread called look at me I want attention then people have the option to look instead of you imparting your toxic views on a perfectly good thread.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm hardly an attention seeker, having made just over 100 posts in 2.6 years.
What would you call someone with nearly 60,000 posts?
I was under the impression this is a debating forum where it is usual for many threads to go at least a little off topic.
The scientific explanation for getting into golf is genetic with help from the mental replicators called memes.

JGolfer

Visit site
I'm hardly an attention seeker, having made just over 100 posts in 2.6 years.
What would you call someone with nearly 60,000 posts?
I was under the impression this is a debating forum where it is usual for many threads to go at least a little off topic.
The scientific explanation for getting into golf is genetic with help from the mental replicators called memes.

Forum is about debate however my topic isn't really a debate topic and has got off track. Perhaps make a topic for that specific debate. This is to gauge why people got into golf.

DCB

Visit site
Okay Gents, lets get the thread back on track please. The naughty step awaits for anyone disregarding a warning ..... be warned ... all of you :)

shane3003

Visit site
For me it was due to my job, my manager at the time suggested I take it up. He said it will help with my customers and also I was missing out on lots of golf days.

I told him I’d give it a try, he said you had better book some lessons then as I’ve put you down for the Forest of Arden in 2 months.

I went and got some clubs, clothing etc and booked some lessons. Played my first round at the Forest of Arden on a society day, shot 134 🙄

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A couple of people encouraged me to stay. Perhaps the next time someone asks what mediciation I'm taking should consider their health is never guaranteed.

When I took up playing golf properly it was because my work colleagues were always talking about it. One person told me it would waste up a lot of my time. On reflection I think he was right. Golf loafing really does prevent you from doing something more useful.
I can't deny it has given me quite a lot of pleasure, but also some pain. There is a point you reach when you think 'here we go again, I know I'd be happier reading a book' (or whatever).
I did try to get people of colour interested, but they know that private golf courses operate a virtual colour bar and they hold back. In fact I'll single out a few I know by walking on public footpaths across the course. Copt Heath, Little Aston, Blackwell, Robin Hood, Halesowen, Sandwell Valley. Bastions of male white middle class privilege where a large percentage of the local population would not fit in no matter how good they are. On the other hand I've had enjoyable experiences playing with black people (including a doctor) on a local public courses.

Irrelevant question.

That's me buggered when they find out then.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm in awe of Halesowen GC in the Leasowes. It's on the 610 miles long distance footpath called the Monarch's Way where Charles II made his escape from the Battle of Worcester. Suggest it should renamed Royal Halesowen.
Play there and walk in Charles's footsteps.