Really (really) stupid question...... (possibly)......

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Due to play a better ball knockout on Sunday. We were due to play a 2 handicapper and a 6 handicapper, but have just been advised that the 2 handicapper can't make it.
So we are now playing the 6 handicapper on his own.
Is it now just a straightforward matter of taking our shots from the 6 handicapper?
If the 2 handicapper was still playing the 6 handicapper would get a shot down our 1st hole. Now he's not, but me and my partner still are.
I told you it was stupid...
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd have thought their team and handicaps would remain unchanged, it's just that one of them happens to be a no show

Interested in what the correct answer is...

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Not a stupid question at all. I find this interesting.

It raises other possible scenarios.
eg Could the no-show arrive at a later point in the round and be allowed to take part? If so, taking shots from the no-shower at the start would make sense.
Looking forward to the rules boffins' posts.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Or...one fourball is not present on the tee at the scheduled time. So you and your partner be there. The 2 hc not being present, you claim the match and go home ?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Also confirm that shots are taken off lowest h/capper. And, I believe that if the no-show turns up later, they can join in the match.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rather belated confirmation.

23.4/1 – Determining Handicap Allowance in Match Play If One Player Unable to Compete
If, in a Four-Ball match played under handicap, the player with the lowest handicap is unable to play, the absent player is not disregarded given that he or she may start play for the side between the play of two holes, which in match play means only before any player on either side has started play of a hole.

23.4 One or Both Partners May Represent the Side
The side may be represented by one partner during all or any part of a round. It is not necessary for both partners to be present or, if present, for both to play on each hole.
If a partner is absent and then arrives to play, that partner may start play for the side only between the play of two holes, which means:
  • Match Play – Before Any Player in Match Starts Hole. If the partner arrives only after any player on either side in the match has started play of a hole, that partner is not allowed to play for the side until the next hole.
  • Stroke Play – Before Other Partner Starts Hole. If the partner arrives only after the other partner has started play of a hole, the arriving partner is not allowed to play for the side until the next hole.
An arriving partner who is not allowed to play on a hole may still give advice or help to the other partner and take other actions for the other partner on that hole (see Rules 23.5a and 23.5b).

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't forget to take your shots from the 2-handicapper
Absolutely. Going to do my best as we're not happy how this has gone.
It turns out that the 2 handicapper had also put his name down for a mixed foursomes knockout as well, and decided he wanted to play in that instead. He's in the group behind us today!
?????

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Absolutely. Going to do my best as we're not happy how this has gone.
It turns out that the 2 handicapper had also put his name down for a mixed foursomes knockout as well, and decided he wanted to play in that instead. He's in the group behind us today!
?????
I think I would play my slowest round ever ?. seriously though how has the club allowed him to have his name down twice. If I was your opponent I would be seriously bogged off. Hypothetically if you lose does your opponent play the next round with the non showing PP.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit late now but I hoped you looked on the bright side you are playing the 6 handicapper and being given more shots than had it been a singles match.