Really (really) stupid question...... (possibly)......

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I kept leaving home to play with my varifocals on and forgetting my distance glasses, in the end, I now leave my previous prescription distance glasses in the car 24/7

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I kept leaving home to play with my varifocals on and forgetting my distance glasses, in the end, I now leave my previous prescription distance glasses in the car 24/7
How do you get on just wearing distance glasses for golf Chris?
I wear varifocals for everyday use but am wondering whether just getting a pair made up for distance might be the answer?
I'm also thinking about getting a pair of proper wraparound golf sunglasses made up with my varifocal prescription, but fear these would be horrendously expensive.
Before anyone mentions them, I can't do contacts. I've tried, I can't do them.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wear varifocals for everyday use but am wondering whether just getting a pair made up for distance might be the answer?
I'm also thinking about getting a pair of proper wraparound golf sunglasses made up with my varifocal prescription, but fear these would be horrendously expensive.

I cant wear varifocals for golf, everything looks wrong when I look down at the ball, bearing in mind I also have "Wet AMD" which distorts the vision in my right eye, balanced with a left eye which is pretty perfect. I had distance glasses especially for golf but often wear them if I'm driving the car any distance too. I also have prescription distance sunglasses which are ok for golf but took some getting used to, given that I cant always wear them as it's not always bright enough and they do feel "different" for a hole or two until my eyes adapt to them. I used to wear wraparound plain sunglasses but not prescription ones which I wish I still could and, I agree, they would be massively expensive.

There's nothing wrong with your idea Rob but, i guess it's comes down to how comfortable you feel your vision is wearing varifocals whilst playing, I've tried but I just can't wear them

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I cant wear varifocals for golf, everything looks wrong when I look down at the ball, bearing in mind I also have "Wet AMD" which distorts the vision in my right eye, balanced with a left eye which is pretty perfect. I had distance glasses especially for golf but often wear them if I'm driving the car any distance too. I also have prescription distance sunglasses which are ok for golf but took some getting used to, given that I cant always wear them as it's not always bright enough and they do feel "different" for a hole or two until my eyes adapt to them. I used to wear wraparound plain sunglasses but not prescription ones which I wish I still could and, I agree, they would be massively expensive.

There's nothing wrong with your idea Rob but, i guess it's comes down to how comfortable you feel your vision is wearing varifocals whilst playing, I've tried but I just can't wear them
The ones that I've misplaced are varifocals Chris and I was okay with them. The problem I have is that the ones I am wearing now are new, and the transition line is obviously not in the same place. I've been looking at different frames specifically made for golf, but by the time I add the best varifocal lenses to them, I'm up to nearly £400.00????

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The ones that I've misplaced are varifocals Chris and I was okay with them. The problem I have is that the ones I am wearing now are new, and the transition line is obviously not in the same place. I've been looking at different frames specifically made for golf, but by the time I add the best varifocal lenses to them, I'm up to nearly £400.00????

It's the transition line that is the problem for me, the lower part means that the ball is not in focus properly at setup. Cant you get a cheapy opticians (online) to make some with the transition where you want it?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's the transition line that is the problem for me, the lower part means that the ball is not in focus properly at setup. Cant you get a cheapy opticians (online) to make some with the transition where you want it?
The new ones I have were only done about 3 months or so ago, so the optician still has my prescription. I'll go back to them and get a new pair made with deeper lenses so that the transition line can be moved down further. The other option is just to get a pair with single lenses (distance) but then I won't be able to see my scorecard or see what number ball I'm playing ???

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Distance lenses are perfect for golf, as long as they are set by your optician to focus properly on the ball at address.
Most do unless your Mr Magoo.
marking your card is another story.
Problem with Varifocals is if you look through the bottom of the lens ( reading ) the balls out of focus.
This leads to golfers lowering their head to much to see the ball through the top of the lens.

The sunglasses lenses are eye watering in cost.
The problem is you can’t have a bend in a prescription lens as it distorts your vision.
So they put a central lens into the middle of the sunglasses lens.
A nice pair of Distance Transition lenses in your frames will solve it.