RC qualification - needs changing or not?

evemccc

Visit site
Rose and Poulters record this season has been very similar- but Poulter has climbed up the rankings where as Rose has been dropping - if you go by just one event then Rose would have been picked. The biggest issue was the qualification and a lot of points on the PGA meaning that Weisburger went past Lowry to get in the automatic spots - that meant a choice between Rose and Poulter

But if picks are used to pick ‘form’ players, then what is form, if not the last 2/3 weeks before the Ryder Cup.

Forget what happened in the season which could be 5-9 months ago….form and confidence and self-assurance in the bit between the ears is nothing if not the 2/3 weeks directly BEFORE the Ryder Cup..

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
I compiled a list of players who missed out. Would this team have done any better? European 2nd team if you like.

Rose. Molinari. Noren. Stenson. Pieters. Willett. Cabrera Bello. Olesen. Wallace. McIntyre. R Hougaard. Migliozzi.

Using a formula of top four from the Fed Ex list, plus top four from the Race to Dubai list not already qualified, plus four captains picks, its still a selection headache! Has captain Stricker got it very right this time?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
They should wait it for results leading up to the RC.
I'd do away with captain's picks. To much picking pals (Lowry) and romantics (Poulter).
Why is Rose not there?

Rose is dead last out of the Europe and US teams from Strokes Gained tee to green for the season. He can putt though and maybe his form was enough to see him included.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must say, I'm not very keen on any emoji

I couldn't agree more
iu
, I couldn't agree more.

sunshine

Visit site
Rose is dead last out of the Europe and US teams from Strokes Gained tee to green for the season. He can putt though and maybe his form was enough to see him included.

Putting has been Rose’s Achilles heel throughout his career. Would have had several majors if he could putt.

4LEX

Visit site
The systems should the same for both sides. Seems bizarre to have the US with 6 picks and Europe with 3.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
The systems should the same for both sides. Seems bizarre to have the US with 6 picks and Europe with 3.

Why is it bizarre that each tour should devise its own qualification rules?

See absolutely no reason why the systems need to be the same - each Tour goes with the system that is best for them. TBH, USA could do away with automatic qualification altogether and allow the Capt to have 12 picks - European Tour doesn't have that luxury, they need to constrain the Capt by having Ryder Cup points available to tempt the US-based players to play more ET events.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The issue isn’t the system. It’s the amount of decent Europeans coming through. The tours has to look internally at this. You look at who qualified and who they picked, there is clearly a lack of young talent up to the standard.

sunshine

Visit site
Why is it bizarre that each tour should devise its own qualification rules?

See absolutely no reason why the systems need to be the same - each Tour goes with the system that is best for them. TBH, USA could do away with automatic qualification altogether and allow the Capt to have 12 picks - European Tour doesn't have that luxury, they need to constrain the Capt by having Ryder Cup points available to tempt the US-based players to play more ET events.
Spot on

sunshine

Visit site
Must be crap, he’s only in the top 30 in the world rankings

To be fair to pauljames, Fitzpatrick has looked like a rabbit in the headlights in both his RC appearances. He may have risen into the OWGR top 30 but I just couldn't see him getting a point at any stage this year.

I'm sure he's a good lad, but would he have got a pick if he'd finished just outside the automatic qualification? He only secured his spot on the last day at Wentworth.

Swango1980

Visit site
To be fair to pauljames, Fitzpatrick has looked like a rabbit in the headlights in both his RC appearances. He may have risen into the OWGR top 30 but I just couldn't see him getting a point at any stage this year.

I'm sure he's a good lad, but would he have got a pick if he'd finished just outside the automatic qualification? He only secured his spot on the last day at Wentworth.
To be fair to him, although losing out on the 18th in singles, the fact he managed to get the match to the 18th was a good effort, as his opponent had 8 birdies.

He probably doesn't get the credit he may deserve, as he is not an exciting player (I.e. short hitter) and appears to have a fairly bland personality and dull Michael Atherton type accent.

D

Deleted member 1147

To be fair to him, although losing out on the 18th in singles, the fact he managed to get the match to the 18th was a good effort, as his opponent had 8 birdies.

He probably doesn't get the credit he may deserve, as he is not an exciting player (I.e. short hitter) and appears to have a fairly bland personality and dull Michael Atherton type accent.
Also he only lost 2&1 twice in foursomes whilst partnered with Westwood.

Boomy

Visit site
How do you decide who the best 12 players are ?‍♂️

The current qualifying format has allowed Europe to win 9 out of the last 12 Ryder Cups ?‍♂️

It’s always tough playing away and this is a very strong US team and they have found form -

It happened in 2016 and the same questions were asked and then 2018 came along and Europe steamrolled what was supposed to the strongest US team ever

At times its just a case of one team playing better than the other - doesn’t mean the qualifying needs changing or that come 2023 Europe will lose etc

Shouldn’t that read “Europe to win 9 out of the last 13 Ryder Cups” ?