RC qualification - needs changing or not?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is the RC qualification process a sound one or does it need an overhaul?
OK, a slightly skewed one this time as the qualification period was the best part of 3 years but in normal circumstances it's 2 years.
It means someone could burn up the early tournaments, lose form in the next 12 months and qualify with barely a golf game to show.
Does it need to be just 6 months?
Or a year?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its fine as is, theyve earnt it

The issue isnt the players weve picked, its the players weve got to pick from compared to the players theyve got to pick from. They have the better players and this time theyve gelled as a team, wouldnt have mattered which 12 we had picked, to a man were just not as good (and the worry is the gap may grow in the short term). they have 8 golfers in the world top 10, we have 1

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is the RC qualification process a sound one or does it need an overhaul?
OK, a slightly skewed one this time as the qualification period was the best part of 3 years but in normal circumstances it's 2 years.
It means someone could burn up the early tournaments, lose form in the next 12 months and qualify with barely a golf game to show.
Does it need to be just 6 months?
Or a year?
There’s no perfect system .
It’s like picking a player for England who’s not playing for his club regularly.
If you use six months we could have a team of rookies.
The Captain just picked the old experienced players.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is it not just 12 picks? No matter what process you have re. qualification, you always run the risk of having players qualifying who shouldn't be in the team based on their current form heading into the match.

Just pick the best 12 players availavle at the time based on what team gives you the best chance to win the match.

Imurg

Visit site
Why is it not just 12 picks? No matter what process you have re. qualification, you always run the risk of having players qualifying who shouldn't be in the team based on their current form heading into the match.

Just pick the best 12 players availavle at the time based on what team gives you the best chance to win the match.
I think the perceived danger with 12 picks is that the Captain may pick his mates and not necessarily the best team

D

Deleted member 15344

How do you decide who the best 12 players are ?‍♂️

The current qualifying format has allowed Europe to win 9 out of the last 12 Ryder Cups ?‍♂️

It’s always tough playing away and this is a very strong US team and they have found form -

It happened in 2016 and the same questions were asked and then 2018 came along and Europe steamrolled what was supposed to the strongest US team ever

At times its just a case of one team playing better than the other - doesn’t mean the qualifying needs changing or that come 2023 Europe will lose etc

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the perceived danger with 12 picks is that the Captain may pick his mates and not necessarily the best team

If you get the right captain that should never happen. The process of picking captains, everyone getting a "turn" etc. needs looking at. The same as the players, it should be the best man for the job, not just whose turn it is.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The last 2 years have been somewhat...odd
An overeaction to bizarre circumstances probably wouldn't be helpful. Let's see how next year pans out before jiggling it about.

D

Deleted member 23270

Football, rugby, cricket etc are all picks so no reason for golf to be any different.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How do you decide who the best 12 players are ?‍♂️

The current qualifying format has allowed Europe to win 9 out of the last 12 Ryder Cups ?‍♂️

It’s always tough playing away and this is a very strong US team and they have found form -

It happened in 2016 and the same questions were asked and then 2018 came along and Europe steamrolled what was supposed to the strongest US team ever

At times its just a case of one team playing better than the other - doesn’t mean the qualifying needs changing or that come 2023 Europe will lose etc

Can I just get this off my chest. I hate that emoji. ?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
They should wait it for results leading up to the RC.
I'd do away with captain's picks. To much picking pals (Lowry) and romantics (Poulter).
Why is Rose not there?
Because he’s been playing poorly for the past 18/24 months.

D

Deleted member 15344

They should wait it for results leading up to the RC.
I'd do away with captain's picks. To much picking pals (Lowry) and romantics (Poulter).
Why is Rose not there?
Lowry is higher up the world rankings than Rose ?‍♂️

Rose had a good PGA but his season overall hasn’t been great

Looking at the world rankings then it would be Rose and McIntyre in for Poulter and Weisburger if they went down that method

So the picks aren’t that bad

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lowry is higher up the world rankings than Rose ?‍♂️

Rose had a good PGA but his season overall hasn’t been great

Looking at the world rankings then it would be Rose and McIntyre in for Poulter and Weisburger if they went down that method

So the picks aren’t that bad

How are the picks performing? Any points?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We certainly have an ageing squad playing against much better opposition - I tend to feel its lucky how tough the course is playing as we are getting some opportunities, but sadly not taking them

Imurg

Visit site
I think there's a place for Captain's picks...it allows someone who hasn't done enough to qualify but has shown good form in the run up to get into the side.
After all, you want/need players who are in form.
My own opinion is that the qualification period should be 6-9 months.
I like the way it's done with some from the World points and some from the Euro points
I'd have 4 from each and 4 picks - gives the Captain room to manoeuvre
Westy is a prime example of a player, effectively, qualifying early and losing form in the run up to the event.
I think he's simply feeling the pace...he's played a lot of golf and, even being as fit as he is, at 48 it's a big ask.
Garcia showing that he was worth the pick
Let's hope Poults and Lowry do the same

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

Ryder Cup points is one of the few carrots that the European Tour can dangle in front of players. If the Captain had a completely free choice, he could pick twelve players that have been playing PGA Tour all year. That might be good for the team but it would be bad for the European Tour.