Range Prices!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Ranges have become too expensive nowadays, my local one is now £8.50 for 100 balls. Actually puts me off going there I'd rather hit balls in the rain at my course now rather than pay that to hit mediocre to poor range balls

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ranges have become too expensive nowadays, my local one is now £8.50 for 100 balls. Actually puts me off going there I'd rather hit balls in the rain at my course now rather than pay that to hit mediocre to poor range balls
Me to .
The one I go to has put flightscope in the bays but £9.50 for 100 balls puts me off.
Most of the data is useless to me .

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
£12 for 120 balls at greenwich driving range.

You only get a 1 hour slot too
I'd definitely boycott that place, for that price I'd expect a grass range well maintained with very good quality practice balls, just a ridiculous amount of money to hit balls to then get turfed out after an hour

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
People spend longer than an hour at a range? How many balls do you buy? I think about 30 mins is enough for me with a basket of balls, 75 max, sometimes just 50.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Airth range has really improved the last year or so. They refurbed it, new balls and then added Top Tracer.

Only issue is the cost is now £9.50 for 100 balls. Appreciate they need to recoup investment but I do worry the cost will actually reduce footfall in time. Hopefully I am wrong though.

I wouldn’t pay that for the range at Airth

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
People spend longer than an hour at a range? How many balls do you buy? I think about 30 mins is enough for me with a basket of balls, 75 max, sometimes just 50.

Spent just under 2 hours at the range this morning before going out to play the PGA, no cost for the balls at all

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spent just under 2 hours at the range this morning before going out to play the PGA, no cost for the balls at all
Did you not use all of your good shots up? 😄.

I would get both tired and bored being at a range that long. Then going on to play, I'd definitely be getting tired 2/3 of the way round the course.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I would get both tired and bored being at a range that long. Then going on to play, I'd definitely be getting tired 2/3 of the way round the course.

Never get tired or bored hitting golf balls, my game has been bad of late so trust me there wasn't much good shots there in the first place so range time was well needed. Hopefully found out where I was going wrong after hitting a few hundred balls

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can easily spend a couple of hours at a range especially if I've had a lesson and I'm working on a swing change. That said, I tend to only hit 30 balls or so before stopping and having a break and I'll consciously step off the mat after each shot so I simply don't drag and hit after a bad one

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can easily spend a couple of hours at a range especially if I've had a lesson and I'm working on a swing change. That said, I tend to only hit 30 balls or so before stopping and having a break and I'll consciously step off the mat after each shot so I simply don't drag and hit after a bad one
Do you have a cafe attached or similar to get a drink from, relax etc in order to break it up? I could see myself hitting 50 balls, get a coffee, bring it back, hit the rest whilst having a sip every now and again. I don't have a range like that near to me but I've been to a couple of places further away this year that had American Golf shops and cafes attached. They made the ranges there much nicer, more of an event to visit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Both local ranges have a bar area where you can get a drink and food but to be honest, I am quite regimented about stopping after a batch (maybe I am becoming more OCD in my old age). I tend to stop and munch a banana, have some water and look at my phone for a few minutes and then start again

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm fortunate as the club has it's own range that can easily accommodate all but the very, very longest of drives (I get nowhere near the bottom of the range with mine). Range balls are free and the greenkeepers collect them. We have also got a couple of covered bays and are going to build a slightly raised bank of tees so that we are hitting off the level and that the greens team can maintain as tees out on the course.

I suppose it's just part of what I pay my subs for - so not really free at all.

Last time I paid was when home and went to Mearns Castle range (as Jacko_G did in OP) - didn't think it that expensive - though I do recall thinking maybe a wee bit - but I would think that as I get it free at my own club. Had a nice 9 holes also. Nice little track for a knock of an evening.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Same. I don't even go nowadays, but when I did, I couldn't hit more than 50 or 60 balls or it just becomes a tedious waste of time. The couple of times I got 100 out, thinking I'd put some good hard effort in, I end up hitting 20 with one club, 20 with another, 20 with another.. then I'm pretty much done. Hit a few wedges, then end up slapping the last 30-odd balls away with little or no thought just to use them up.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Since moving I don't live in close vicinity to a good driving range.

Used to buy credit on a card and I put £100 on which they matched as part of an offer, which lasted me a full year. Balls would cost £6 for 100 or £5 for 75, decent balls and facility however and for £5 you could use a top tracer for an hour I think it was.

Nowadays it's practice ground with the shag bag and launch monitor doing skills tests, good to have some data to work with and hit from grass but I hate picking up balls afterwards.

Siolag

Visit site
Just bought a shag bag and marked up 50 balls to use on our practice area. The club is closer than the nearest range and one of them is closing anyway, so going to get into the habit of using the practice area more. Once I have had a driver specific lesson I might go to the range of the pro reckons it'll help, but otherwise it'll be practice area and out on the course as much as possible.